Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I-5 to California Pros

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dunno how other cars work,
Not like Teslas, because there's no adapter.
but if the J1772 adapter is in the car and the cable is in the adapter, neither can be disconnected without getting the car to let go.
No, that's not true at all. Or rather those connections are totally opposite of each other.
The car's charge port can only use its locking pin to hold onto the adapter. So the adapter stays in the port while the car is locked, and people can't remove it.

But the J1772 into the adapter has no built-in locking whatsoever. Anyone can just press the release button on the J1772 handle at any time, and interrupt the session and remove the handle from the adapter. (Well, some J1772 handles are built with a tiny ring where you can clip a small luggage padlock into it to prevent the release latch from being pressed, but not all of them have that.)
This is the "product" I'm referring to. It seems to imply that the J1772 could be disconnected from the adapter, even if the adapter remains locked into the car.

Yes--that is WHY that locking ring was created. It is to physically prevent that latch part from coming up and letting go of the adapter.

Nowadays it is pretty easy to drive all of I-5 just on V3 Superchargers. The main V2 Superchargers between Oregon and California are Grants Pass, Shasta (2 co-located sites), and Corning. The V2 site in Springfield OR can get pretty busy. I try to use the new Harrisburg V3 instead.
In addition, Sacramento just off I80 a mile east of I5; Gustine (by Andersen's Split Pea Soup restaurant, not the new one that just opened); Harris Ranch (but the new one close to completion will be 250); Kettleman City has both (24 V2 and 16 V3); Bakersfield - I5; Buttonwillow; Tejon Ranch (west side of I-5).

We have a 2014 S and a 2018 3 long range. The speeds have no bearing on the S as the maximum it will receive (due to a software change in 2019 that reduced the maximum rate from ~112-115 to around 100 and started the taper at around 15-18% instead of around 25%.)*

When I drove to Atlanta, Pittsburgh and home last year in the Model 3, after about 20 minutes or so the difference between a V3 and V2 begins to converge. So, if you are planning to eat or do a little walking around and plan on spending 25-30 minutes before resuming your journey, it won't make a substantial difference which Supercharger you utilize. Most legs between Superchargers are 35-50 miles apart. So what if you stop a little closer or a little beyond what you had initially planned. Flexibility is key! (For me, anyway!)

*Prior to this software restriction, if I arrived at a SC with about 10%, the speed would ramp up to around 112-114kW and fluctuate while slowly declining to around 100kW at 22% or so. Essentially the state of charge plus the charging rate would equal about 120. Nowadays, the speed ramps up to ~125 for a brief instant before dropping quickly to around 100 and then tapering quickly starting at around 15%. The state of charge plus the charging rate now equal ~110. A 25-minute charge before now takes around 33 minutes, and a 35-minute charge before now takes closer to 45.

Not like Teslas, because there's no adapter.

No, that's not true at all. Or rather those connections are totally opposite of each other.
The car's charge port can only use its locking pin to hold onto the adapter. So the adapter stays in the port while the car is locked, and people can't remove it.

But the J1772 into the adapter has no built-in locking whatsoever. Anyone can just press the release button on the J1772 handle at any time, and interrupt the session and remove the handle from the adapter. (Well, some J1772 handles are built with a tiny ring where you can clip a small luggage padlock into it to prevent the release latch from being pressed, but not all of them have that.)

Yes--that is WHY that locking ring was created. It is to physically prevent that latch part from coming up and letting go of the adapter.
Right you are. I just haven't used the adapter that much, so missed the point that the cable could be removed with the adapter still stuck in the car.

That’s right, this is your first Tesla. General rule with the typical battery is the recommendation not to charge over 90% on a daily basis, for three reasons, in order of importance:
  1. It impacts battery longevity
  2. It takes forever to get that last 10%
  3. You don’t get regen braking when you’re at that high charge. The brakes still work, but it’ll be a little disconcerting if you’re used to one pedal driving
The one published exception is when you’re about to go on a long trip. So, using the car’s built-in charging options, one typically charges starting in the wee hours so the car is maxed out just before leaving. It’s cheaper that way, too: home charging is typically 2x or 3x cheaper than SC charging.

The other bit that people have been alluding to is that the rate of charge is much, much faster when the battery State of Charge (SOC) is tiny rather than full. At 5% to 10% you’ll get the full blast of that 250kw (or whatever) SC. By the time one gets to 30% or 40% the car starts limiting the charge rate. When one gets to 80%, it doesn’t matter what kind of SC one is hooked to, the charge rate will be 60kw and dropping.

The general rule is that charging from 10% to 80% takes 20 to 30 minutes, the lower number at the 250kw chargers. And if you’re trying to cover the maximum distance in the minimum time, 80% is as high as you want to generally go. With exceptions for:
  1. Long legs sans SCs where one wants to max out the range. This generally won’t be true for your trip.
  2. You’re stopping for dinner or lunch somewhere and want to eat and take your time. In which case the car will be ready for the next leg before you are. If the SC isn’t crowded you can let it charge (one can change the charge limit in the app), but if the car is maxed out or the SC is crowded.. well, we all have the experience of having to pop up and go move the car to let someone else in and avoid the idle charge penalty that Tesla imposes. Which means that the restaurant one is eating at shouldn’t be a 15 minute walk away 😁.
So, on any given leg, assuming you’re driving an LR, you’ll typically be doing around 250 miles between full and near empty, plus or minus, which is around 3.5 to 4 hours driving time. At which point you’ll want to stop, anyway, stop watching the bugs hit the windshield and hit the loo. 20 minutes later if you’re dedicated you’ll be on your way.

If you want to play tourist and stop somewhere to go shopping or whatever (can never have enough tee shirts) be advised that ChargePoint and similar charging stations have infested the universe, some of which cost a bit, others are free. These charge at 30 mph or so, as compared to the 1000 mph one gets out of a SC, but what the heck, if you’re going to wander the cutesy streets and look at knick nacks for an hour, why not? The PlugShare app’s your friend for this if you want to take the trouble of finding an (open) spot.

The J1772 adapter that comes with the car is invaluable for this kind of activity. Unless you luck into a Tesla Wall connector somewhere. These are called, “Destination Chargers” by Tesla, do show up on the NAV, and one can get 40-45 mph charge rates out of them. But, again, on a long trip where you’re hitting up fairly common SCs, not really necessary.
Except OP has RWD Model 3 which is LFP so charging to 100% is just fine for the battery. Time to get from 90 to 100 is still quite long at a SC so while traveling you will probably live in the 20-80 range but there is no issue with charging to 100 overnight, every night.

Reactions: B5Bob
So my overall takeaway from day 1 of this journey is that following the car navigation, even when it does "the wrong thing" is generally fine. E.g. it brought me to 150kw chargers on 3 of 4 stops, had me charge into the 90's twice, and had me stop with over 55% once. But after using the restroom, eating, stretching my legs, and responding to all my phone notifications, I never really felt like I was wasting time.

I guess I spent too long watching TeslaBjorn 1000km challenges... that's not a normal way to travel!

Reactions: Rocky_H and wws
Day 2 was Firebaugh, Bakersfield, and Anaheim. Two things I noticed that I'm sure have been mentioned before... it can be indecisive. When I left it picked Bakersfield. After Firebaugh I made a small change to my destination and then it said Buttonwillow... and then halfway there switched to Bakersfield. It did it again later in the trip switching between Downey and Anaheim twice.

It also doesn't seem to automatically handle prematurely ended sessions. I bailed at Bakersfield because some very thoughtful individual parked at the paired station to mine when other options were available. I was done eating and didn't want to wait the extra 10 minutes charging at 62kW, so I just left. The nav did not know what to do, and I did not know how to convince it to continue, so I just canceled and started again. Any tips?

Day 2 was Firebaugh, Bakersfield, and Anaheim. Two things I noticed that I'm sure have been mentioned before... it can be indecisive. When I left it picked Bakersfield. After Firebaugh I made a small change to my destination and then it said Buttonwillow... and then halfway there switched to Bakersfield. It did it again later in the trip switching between Downey and Anaheim twice.

It also doesn't seem to automatically handle prematurely ended sessions. I bailed at Bakersfield because some very thoughtful individual parked at the paired station to mine when other options were available. I was done eating and didn't want to wait the extra 10 minutes charging at 62kW, so I just left. The nav did not know what to do, and I did not know how to convince it to continue, so I just canceled and started again. Any tips?
First, glad you're getting accustomed to the peculiarities of the navigation system.

I can only surmise based upon my personal experiences regarding the old switcheroo with Supercharger destinations. I suspect that the software initially uses a fixed wh/mile rate that is adjusted for elevation gains and losses and assumes a certain speed of driving. Once behind the wheel, your actual driving usage is then used to see how far you could go given your current state of charge. One real-life example: I left home in the Valley and wanted to reach Elko, Nevada. I had to take SR99 from home, and in Sac move onto Interstate 80. My SOC upon departure was 94%.

There are six SC proximate to 99 between our home and Sac. Upon leaving Sac on Interstate 80, there are five to get to Auburn. Then, Truckee, Reno downtown, Lovelock, and Winnemucca before reaching Elko. Navigation had me stop 50 miles down the road in Merced for 25 minutes. Then, Rocklin for 25 before Truckee, and all the locations in Nevada for various intervals. My desire was to reach Auburn without stopping. I drive ~65-70. Sure enough, within 15 minutes, the first stop changed to Modesto. Then Stockton-Morada Lane. Then Elk Grove. Then Roseville. When I forced the destination to be Auburn, my arrival percentage was 10%. I made it with 12.

When I charged in Truckee, there is a brewpub close to one of the SC. It was 12:30; I decided to have lunch and a beer. I was plugged in for an hour. Despite leaving with 88%, the nav wanted me to stop in Lovelock for 15 minutes before pressing onto Winnemucca. I ignored this suggestion and reached Winnemucca with 12% or so.

(There might be some sort of minimum range percentage that the navigation uses as a safe buffer. I really do not know.)

If you want to leave early, I think there is a hot button that you can select from the touchscreen that says to cancel charging and resume trip. The navigation should automatically recalculate your next stop once you do this. I do this step with some frequency.

My editorial, for what it is worth: I am not fond of using navigation for trips of several hundred, if not over one thousand miles. I know how to get where I am going, with the exception of navigating off the highways when I reach cities. I detest that blue line on the map when all I want is to know which exit to take to reach the Supercharger. I frequently dial to the Supercharger, check my SOC upon arrival, and then kill it. Yes, when preheating is necessary, or if the leg is long and there is a possibility that I am cutting my arrival percentage too close, I keep the navigation on. But I have found for me that going station-to-station (with an emergency backup) is preferred. I keep the Supercharger pins active on the map because you never know if one location is "temporarily closed" or if one has waits while another one does not. I like to be in control of my fate. I don't wish to rely upon the whimsy and sophistry of a computer program that knows nothing about me.

Doubtless you will find your sweet spot in all this and plot your future trips accordingly!

I'm wondering if Tesla is purposely sending me to 150kW sites because by LFP car maxes out at 170kW. That would be fine if not for the splitting which burned me twice on the return trip. I think I'm just not going to accept Corning as a charging stop again...

Going to do this trip again soon, and attempt 250's only. Will create some strange short legs in southern Oregon, but that's fine as long as things are not too busy.

I have a random question about standard Autopilot. I had a couple of the so-called "phantom braking" events on my prior trip, to the point where I'm not sure I really trust it in anything but very sparse traffic. I was watching a FSD YouTube video and the individual pressed the "dashcam" button after a particularly bad interaction, with the implication being that it would alert Tesla to review the footage and - perhaps - learn from it. Does anyone know if that's the case with regular Autopilot? That is, if it "phantom brakes" and I press the dashcam button, will Tesla review it to update AP? I somehow doubt it, but wouldn't mind doing so if it would help fix the issues with Tesla Vision...

Going to do this trip again soon, and attempt 250's only. Will create some strange short legs in southern Oregon, but that's fine as long as things are not too busy.

I have a random question about standard Autopilot. I had a couple of the so-called "phantom braking" events on my prior trip, to the point where I'm not sure I really trust it in anything but very sparse traffic. I was watching a FSD YouTube video and the individual pressed the "dashcam" button after a particularly bad interaction, with the implication being that it would alert Tesla to review the footage and - perhaps - learn from it. Does anyone know if that's the case with regular Autopilot? That is, if it "phantom brakes" and I press the dashcam button, will Tesla review it to update AP? I somehow doubt it, but wouldn't mind doing so if it would help fix the issues with Tesla Vision...
That was for the FSD Beta program. Sadly, they removed the dashcam icon for reporting idiocy a couple of point releases ago. Unless is somehow considered special, in which case one has it, but that’s not most folks.

So, unless you’re running the FSD-b (and are paying for it outright or through a rental) and are considered special (which doesn’t actually include most of those YouTubers), you won’t see that icon.

• Helpful
Reactions: B5Bob
Re: 250 KW chargers on I-5:

On the way down, SF to LA, I started above 90% and everything was perfect. (STILL no phantom breaking, if you can believe that.) On the way back up, starting from Palm Springs, and starting with only ~ 80%, nav twice routed me to 125 kW chargers when there were 250 KW chargers right nearby!

In particular, note that there are two buttonwillow stops, one 125 KW, the other, 11 mi north, 250KW.

NOTE: I have seen several comments and even very quantitative analyses that show that at high SOC, like above 60%, there is almost no difference between charge rate 150 kW vs. 250 kW chargers. So, if you're just topping up, above 60% (or so- I forget the precise value) don't bother finding the 250KW charger, won't make a difference.

-TPC

PS

On long road trips, the white REALLY shows the dead bugs - OMG. When I thought about sitting in traffic North of Auburn in the summer, I thought, better pick the lightest color. However, had I thought of this...

----------

23 MYLR pearl White 19"

Yeah I know about the charging curve, and that my car can't even take the full 250kW. But the advantage to me is that when I plug in and expect a 25 minute charge, it doesn't suddenly turn into 35 minutes because someone pulled into the adjoining spot. It happened more than once on my last trip, when there were other options, someone still took the paired stall.

Reactions: SR-75
Was able to do this, for the most part. As expected, the first two stops (Myrtle Creek & Medford) were quite short with barely enough time to use the bathroom, let alone eat. I think in the summer I could skip Myrtle Creek. Once in central valley, it wasn't too much trouble. Some smaller sites were full on a Saturday, but there is enough density to adjust on the fly. I definitely like Firebaugh given its standalone bathroom, even if the entrance road is a pothole nightmare. I also tried the Enos Rd Bakersfield location which was far superior to the one directly off I-5. Worth the (very) slight detour IMO.

The two times I had to "settle" for 150kW sites were due to overnight stops. I stopped in Concord (which was packed) so I'd have enough juice in the morning to skip a charging session on a cold battery. It didn't work, so lesson learned. On the way north, I left Redding and had to stop in Mt. Shasta because neither the computer nor I were that convinced we could make Yreka (and was also concerned about snow on the ground). I should have spent 10 extra minutes charging the evening before.

Stopped at the new Sutherlin site, which I had completely to myself.

It's a nice car for road trips, although I really wish I could rely on AP. I experienced phantom braking within 5 minutes of turning it on. Disappointing since my previous lease base-model Corolla could manage adaptive cruise control with no drama.

Reactions: SR-75 and ReddyLeaf