TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

I-65 in KY

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by Sans Gas, Jan 19, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Sans Gas

Sans Gas Member

When will we have one in KY on I-65 to complete a route from FL to Chicago?

2. dave

dave Member

I-75 this year if you believe their map timeline - which I dont. There was supposed to be one this year and it never happened.

3. caddieo

caddieo Member

My question too. The big gap is Indianapolis to Chattanooga (Nashville is still up in the air). We may need two in KY since the gap between Louisville and Nashville is pretty big ~175 miles, analogous to the gap between Savannah and St. Augustine. Bowling Green perhaps?

4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

If you look at Tesla's site, it looks like the aim is to do I-75 first, then I-65 later this year, with Louisville and it looks like Elizabethtown (which is at the intersection of I-65 and I-69).

5. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

6. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

I spoke with a Kentuckian at the Chattanooga SC. He told me the problem is an arcane law on the Kentucky books that restricts all High Speed charging locations to be ONLY at gas stations. Not sure why any State would enact such legislation, but...

7. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

I'd speculate that the law says something like "any commercial site to refuel vehicles must be zoned as a Gas Station." I'd further speculate that there are all sorts of inspections and license renewals that tag along with being a Gas Station.

I'm sure it would be an easy fix in the statute, but it would require the legislature to act. And while auto manufacturing in Kentucky is an important industry, the players there don't care about high-speed EV charging.

8. N4HHE

N4HHE Member

If Kentucky is not grateful for Tesla Superchargers then put one at the last exit in TN and another just north of the river in IN. That would be 147 miles.

Oh, and Catlettsburg, KY is a big oil refinery town. Legislature wouldn't have oil filling their pockets would they?

9. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

10. Dan Babenco

Dan Babenco New Member

Charge up at my house (50 amp) in Paducah, KY anytime. Just call ahead so we know to expect you.
    6350 Clinton Road, Paducah KY 42001. 270-556-1630.
    This will fill a big hole between St. Louis and Nashville until Tesla builds a supercharger near here.

11. Fezzik

Fezzik P67429

Wow. I had some friends that lived on Clinton Rd when I was growing up in Paducah. They went to LHS
    I'm talking with Tesla to setup a destination charger at exit 3 off I-24. It hasnt been easy to get it going.

12. boomer0001

boomer0001 New Member

Old thread but Bowling Green, KY on I-65 now has 4 superchargers

13. CSFTN

CSFTN Member

• Helpful x 1