Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I-80 from Chicago to Quad Cities, Iowa City and Des Moines

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in the Chicago suburbs and have three neighbors with a Tesla Model S plus myself (and a Model X on order) who have students in college west of Chicago in the Quad Cities, Iowa City and Des Moines. Unless we are doing an overnight, it's not realistic to take our Tesla's to visit our college kids. With kids in sports, we take frequent trips using our ICE vehicles. It would be really nice if the I-80 SC network would be built out from the major cities outwards to capture day trips for business and college visits.

As I understand, the I-80 build out has been pushed back from 2014 to 2015 and now 2016! WTF. I purchased my MS based on the Tesla roadmap that the I-80 SC network would be built out by now. Can't own only two EVs and no ICE if I can't get to where I need to go!

I live in the Chicago suburbs and have three neighbors with a Tesla Model S plus myself (and a Model X on order) who have students in college west of Chicago in the Quad Cities, Iowa City and Des Moines. Unless we are doing an overnight, it's not realistic to take our Tesla's to visit our college kids. With kids in sports, we take frequent trips using our ICE vehicles. It would be really nice if the I-80 SC network would be built out from the major cities outwards to capture day trips for business and college visits.

As I understand, the I-80 build out has been pushed back from 2014 to 2015 and now 2016! WTF. I purchased my MS based on the Tesla roadmap that the I-80 SC network would be built out by now. Can't own only two EVs and no ICE if I can't get to where I need to go!

Just be patient little grasshopper. Rome wasn't built in one day and neither will the Supercharger buildout. There are a lot of variables beyond Tesla's control when installing Superchargers. For now ICE will be the only way to do the trip but give it a year and you'll be able to do it with a Tesla. Just think the Early Adopters bought this car without even knowing Supercharging network was ever going to come about.

It's 190 miles from Chicago proper to Davenport. You should be able to make that in one shot if you don't zoom too much. You'll be pretty empty so you will need an overnight when you get there. Beiderbecke Inn in Davenport has a Tesla HPWC which should fill you nicely. JP motors in Peru, Il has a Chademo if you have an adapter. It is about half way. I've got to admit, that section of road is pretty empty of charge opportunities. Good luck.

I agree. Considering the number of Tesla in the Chicago area, the lack of superchargers on I80 is strange. Clearly they don't want to spend the money to do what they said they would do.

I have a farm just off I 80 near the quad cities. I can't easily make a round trip visit, which I consider a pretty modest drive for an ICE car. The other place I periodically visit is Champaign, which of course is on I57. Also not easily doable.

- - - Updated - - -

It's 190 miles from Chicago proper to Davenport. You should be able to make that in one shot if you don't zoom too much. You'll be pretty empty so you will need an overnight when you get there. Beiderbecke Inn in Davenport has a Tesla HPWC which should fill you nicely. JP motors in Peru, Il has a Chademo if you have an adapter. It is about half way. I've got to admit, that section of road is pretty empty of charge opportunities. Good luck.

This is why the major auto manufacturers are not convinced of the near demise of ICE.

I feel your pain. The comparatively slow rollout of Superchargers in the Midwest and lack of Tesla Service Centers have made me reconsider the timing of a purchase.
I would have bought 2 years ago if I lived on the coasts.

I agree. Considering the number of Tesla in the Chicago area, the lack of superchargers on I80 is strange. Clearly they don't want to spend the money to do what they said they would do.

I don't really agree with this. It's often not Tesla's fault. Site negotiation, and permitting takes time and are not under Tesla's control. Living in Texas, I know it's frustrating to wait, but in July there were 197, now there are 238 open in North America with nine more under construction. No company or government is doing better than that.

When I purchased my car there were two, and they were in California. It wasn't till last year that I could travel 100% SC. RV parks and generous Tesla owners were how I traveled for the first two years.

My opinion is that Nebraska is the sticking point for I80. Being from there, I can say they are still living in the 1800s.

Being in Omaha, I would like to see I80 go both ways from the Council Bluffs SupC. I have had some adventures traveling in areas without them, and it is like being on the frontier in a way. There are people traveling and using other facilities (like RV parks and HPWCs) and you just arrange to spend the night there. It is different, it takes a different way of thinking, and IMHO it is how you change the world. Last summer I had a 340 mile stretch to do and it took longer to do than in and ICE car. Now that stretch has SupCs. They will come. I wish they were here already too.

I don't really agree with this. It's often not Tesla's fault. Site negotiation, and permitting takes time and are not under Tesla's control. Living in Texas, I know it's frustrating to wait, but in July there were 197, now there are 238 open in North America with nine more under construction. No company or government is doing better than that.

When I purchased my car there were two, and they were in California. It wasn't till last year that I could travel 100% SC. RV parks and generous Tesla owners were how I traveled for the first two years.

My opinion is that Nebraska is the sticking point for I80. Being from there, I can say they are still living in the 1800s.

So Tesla can't get two permits in Nebraska? I don't understand your point. When Tesla doesn't build out an announced string of superchargers it is because they decided to spend the money elsewhere.

So Tesla can't get two permits in Nebraska? .
They possibly can't. It took almost one year to get a permit in Denton, and a permit was rejected in Temple because the State Legislator came to the meeting and told the city not not approve it. Nebraska is one of the states that charges extra if you have an electric car.

In fact the owners of the Beiderbecke Inn also own a Model S. And when I was in Rock Island last month I saw a white MS. So there is a bit of Tesla presence in the QC.