Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I-84 — Pacific NW to SLC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pendleton went live 5/28 and ground has been broken for the 8 SC stations at Baker City.
20150531_181955.jpg

Last edited:
Pendleton went live 5/28 and ground has been broken for the 8 SC stations at Baker City.
I'm surprised they would put in 8 stalls in Baker City; I wouldn't think that I-84 in eastern Oregon will get that much interstate Tesla traffic. I guess Tesla is looking ahead to a whole lot more of their cars on the road! I hope to be one of them someday — I-84 is the route I use to visit family in Portland.

I'm surprised they would put in 8 stalls in Baker City; I wouldn't think that I-84 in eastern Oregon will get that much interstate Tesla traffic. I guess Tesla is looking ahead to a whole lot more of their cars on the road! I hope to be one of them someday — I-84 is the route I use to visit family in Portland.

Almost all the SCs are eight stalls. Future growth and redundancy. The last two weekends I used five different SCs (the same five on both weekends). One stall was not working on the second weekend (the same one i used successfully on the first weekend). I moved to another stall and successfully charged, but without the redundancy it wouldn't have been fun. because i didn't try every stall, I don't know how many weren't working, just the 3A or 3A and 3B, or more. I'd guess the installation cost isn't much different between 4, 6, or 8 stalls as the expensive part is the lease and the construction, so it makes sense to have eight.

Almost all the SCs are eight stalls. Future growth and redundancy. The last two weekends I used five different SCs (the same five on both weekends). One stall was not working on the second weekend (the same one i used successfully on the first weekend). I moved to another stall and successfully charged, but without the redundancy it wouldn't have been fun. because i didn't try every stall, I don't know how many weren't working, just the 3A or 3A and 3B, or more. I'd guess the installation cost isn't much different between 4, 6, or 8 stalls as the expensive part is the lease and the construction, so it makes sense to have eight.

Also, because of queueing efficiency (Erlang Efficiency), an 8-stall Supercharger has about 3.5x the capacity with short queues compared to a 4-stall Supercharger. See Capacity of Superchargers Using an Erlang-B Model for details.

Almost all the SCs are eight stalls. Future growth and redundancy...
Really? Perhaps that's true in some places but it sure isn't where I live. Most of the ones near me are fours, with a few sixes. No eights except for Silverthorne, a major, very high traffic, ski destination:
Code:
Glenwood Springs, CO  6 stalls
Grand Junction, CO    6
Moab, UT              4
Green River, UT       4
Blanding, UT          4
Richfield, UT         4
Beaver, UT            4
St. George, UT        4
Nephi, UT             6
Farmington, NM        4
Gallup, NM            4
Santa Rosa, NM        6
Tucumcari, NM         6
Holbrook, AZ          4
Flagstaff, AZ         4
(and so on...)

Really? Perhaps that's true in some places but it sure isn't where I live. Most of the ones near me are fours, with a few sixes. No eights except for Silverthorne, a major, very high traffic, ski destination
Of the seven I've used (within 750 miles) all but one are eight stalls, and that one is a six stall.

Rocky, maybe you could take something nice as an offering to one of the clerks or the electrical inspector in the building department to put you on their email list to be notified when a permit application is submitted. I did this in Fresno six months ago (sigh) as we do not have a searchable database either. Still nothing.

Really? Perhaps that's true in some places but it sure isn't where I live. Most of the ones near me are fours, with a few sixes. No eights except for Silverthorne, a major, very high traffic, ski destination:
Code:
Glenwood Springs, CO  6 stalls
Grand Junction, CO    6
Moab, UT              4
Green River, UT       4
Blanding, UT          4
Richfield, UT         4
Beaver, UT            4
St. George, UT        4
Nephi, UT             6
Farmington, NM        4
Gallup, NM            4
Santa Rosa, NM        6
Tucumcari, NM         6
Holbrook, AZ          4
Flagstaff, AZ         4
(and so on...)
Worse yet, when you have to travel 4 miles off the interstate to reach one with only 4 stalls (St George, I'm looking at you). Insult to injury.