Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I-90 - Completing the West

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Feedback update

Thanks for the comments. I updated the table to account for:

1. Reported location in Superior (DrGuest)
  2. Improved readability now locations are firm

The Superior vs. St. Regis discussion is interesting. I concur with St. Regis viewpoint, but I don’t mind driving a few miles to charge before heading to West Glacier. The time lost to access Superior is less than in some other urban locations where there is dense traffic.

The project to get I-90 connected seems to be looking very good and continues to progress very well. Thanks Tesla.

Thanks for the comments. I updated the table to account for:

1. Reported location in Superior (DrGuest)
  2. Improved readability now locations are firm

The Superior vs. St. Regis discussion is interesting. I concur with St. Regis viewpoint, but I don’t mind driving a few miles to charge before heading to West Glacier. The time lost to access Superior is less than in some other urban locations where there is dense traffic.

The project to get I-90 connected seems to be looking very good and continues to progress very well. Thanks Tesla.
ISTM it's a question of both time and range. Superior is 14 miles from St. Regis, so allowing for getting on and off the freeway you're looking at 25-30 minutes extra. What advantage does Superior have that makes such a detour worthwhile? And then there's the range issue - putting the SC in St. Regis means that Tesla has the option of putting an SC either in Kalispell, which is probably where it would need to be from Superior, or moving it north to Columbia Falls or even West Glacier.

You know, although it makes as little sense to not put an SC in Coeur d'Alene as it does to put one in Superior instead of St. Regis, if you were unconcerned about intersections you could put a single SC between Ritzville and Missoula, at Kellogg or maybe even Wallace. Kellogg is the exact midpoint, and even at 15 deg. F. EV Trip Planner says you can make it with 20-30 miles of RR to spare in a 60. Note that I am very definitely not recommending that they skip Coeur d'Alene - one really bad SC location decision on this route already is one too many:confused:

Table on page 1 was updated. The Butte news is very exciting. Bighorn is going to checking on Sheridan for a similar development. That leaves finding the new location in Coeur d'Alene and finding more details on Gillette. It looks like we can start planning a Supercharger only trip to Chicago anytime now.

It could be horse race to see if the I-90 gap is filled prior to the I-70 gap. If the I-90 route is done before I-70 midwest gap, someone from the NW should set out to beat Tesla's winter cross country crossing record from last winter. The route will now be direct, and
significantly shorter. Determining how to plan the shortest the charging times would be an interesting challenge.

I just checked and Sheridan does not have any signs of a build yet. With Superior and Butte on deck, Gillette or Sheridan now becomes the golden spike. Superior to Ritzville is 226 RM and 238 returning--not ideal, but doable in good conditions. We have owners in Sheridan and Gillette, so reconnaissance should be excellent going forward. Contemplating testing the Sheridan to Seattle spur over Thanksgiving.

Don't know if this has been said but with the previous CdA site falling through, I hope they take a look at Kellog, ID. It's pretty much half way between Ritzville and Missoula. I think even a 60 could make it in poor weather.
edit: duh...

Don't know if this has been said but with the previous CdA site falling through, I hope they take a look at Kellog, ID. It's pretty much half way between Ritzville and Missoula. I think even a 60 could make it in poor weather.
edit: duh...

Send your recommendation to [email protected].

At the very least, Tesla should get Silver Mountain Resort on the destination charging program. What better way to pass the time during some L2 charging than taking a few runs down the mountain? Do you have any contacts at Silver Mountain or the Tesla Seattle Service Center to whom you could make a recommendation?

I just checked and Sheridan does not have any signs of a build yet. With Superior and Butte on deck, Gillette or Sheridan now becomes the golden spike. Superior to Ritzville is 226 RM and 238 returning--not ideal, but doable in good conditions. We have owners in Sheridan and Gillette, so reconnaissance should be excellent going forward. Contemplating testing the Sheridan to Seattle spur over Thanksgiving.

The supercharger page has one more SC between Billings where I90 heading east makes a right angle turn at Hardin and heads south toward Sheridan. Looks like it may be at about the intersection of I90 and US 212 heading east. Has either Bighorn or DrGuest detected any Tesla building activity in that "neck of the woods?" Anyone live around there??