TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

I-90 - Completing the West

Discussion in 'Supercharging & Charging Infrastructure' started by Skyhawk, Oct 6, 2014.

1. drbradfo

drbradfo Member

Any update on the Wyoming gap? Looking to make a Portland -> Rapid City trip over Christmas. The Ritzville to Superior gap is possible with a stop as Cottonwood said, but the Billings to Rapid City gap is huge! US212 looks like the best option sans superchargers with a overnight charge at RV park in Broadus, MT... but risk of running low on juice is kinda scary on that road.

2. Bighorn

Bighorn Top Supercharger

I'm doing routine drive-bys of the proposed Sheridan location. I also emailed my SC contact at Tesla, but have not received a reply. It seems they'd be pretty incented to get those last couple chargers in, so I'm optimistic. If the MT route seems daunting, there are 14-50 options in Sheridan and Sundance, I believe. There's also a plugshare 30A charger in Gillette. The weather in December probably wouldn't allow it, but I've made it from Sheridan to the Rapid City charger.

3. Rockford Bay

Rockford Bay New Member

I was there today. They have 2 40 amp chargers, charging at 28 miles per hour. One seems to always be on the other off??? Both times I have been there CDA resort trucks have been in the spots. When you find the resort handymen they are friendly about moving them. No charge but the parking fee.

4. Bighorn

Bighorn Top Supercharger

Sheridan remains devoid of any equipment. I will write the lease holder.

5. Bighorn

Bighorn Top Supercharger

The Sheridan site at Taco Johns is no longer viable. I just heard that the lawyers couldn't come to an agreement. We do have a new Model S owner in Sheridan who owns hotels in Sheridan and Gillette. I will be in touch with him.

6. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Thanks for your hard work!

Sheridan and Gillette are key to completing I-90!

7. p1sl

p1sl Member

Rockford - which site are you talking about with the 40A chargers?

Butte is live.

8. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler We Are Cognitive Dissidents

I like hotel locations. Buy a bottle of water, cool my heels in the lobby...

9. Bighorn

Bighorn Top Supercharger

Sounds like Coeur D'Alene.

10. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Member

#70 Skyhawk, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
    Page 1 table updated

Thanks for the continued looking in WY and for the notices on Butte and Superior.

Sad to hear about needing to find a new location in Sheridan.

I heard Tesla is in working with another hotel in
    Coeur d'Alene. I talked to a Model X enthusiast on the owner's Corporate staff. I am hoping this one will come thru.

Meantime, on my next day light trip to Boise I will be inspecting potential Eastern Oregon locations on I-84 again.

11. Rockford Bay

Rockford Bay New Member

Yes, I was talking about Coeur D Alene and the Coeur d Alene Resort. Sorry about that. On the second floor of the parking garage they have the 2 40 amp chargers. You do not have to stay there, only be a guest. Lunch?

Earlier Post... I was there today. They have 2 40 amp chargers, charging at 28 miles per hour. One seems to always be on the other off??? Both times I have been there CDA resort trucks have been in the spots. When you find the resort handymen they are friendly about moving them. No charge but the parking fee.

Also see my post on the new charging dot near Missoula rather than St Regis MT.

12. Cottonwood

Interesting, from the Tesla "Find Us" page, the Coeur d'Alene Resort seems to have HPWC's at up to 80 Amps. Are you sure that they are limited to 40 Amps?

Coeur d Alene.png

13. Bighorn

Bighorn Top Supercharger

Looks like the Hardin/Crow Agency, MT dot disappeared for the foreseeable future.

14. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

I don't know about this site, but of three "Up to 80A" sites near me, two are actually 40A.

15. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

16. KJD

KJD Supporting Member

Looking at the map, Sheridan and Gillette would seem like the best way to fill in the last I-90 gap. Has anyone heard any good rumors about Tesla activity in these 2 towns ?

17. Bighorn

Bighorn Top Supercharger

A local owner with hotels in both towns is interested in hosting.

18. Cottonwood

Has that owner filled out the web form with Tesla to start the process?

From the Supercharging Host Suggestion Form:

Supercharging

Thank you for your interest in Supercharging. Tesla is currently building out the Supercharger network and is actively seeking locations along major transit corridors where Superchargers can be hosted. Supercharger sites should be easily accessible from the highway, conveniently located near 24 hr amenities, and safe & well-lit.

If you own a property that matches this profile, know someone who does, or are able to help in some way, then please fill the form below. If the proposed site is a good fit, we will reach out.

Thank you.​

19. Bighorn

Bighorn Top Supercharger

I put him in direct contact with the supercharger team leader for the region, encouraging action with both sides.

20. JohnMc

JohnMc Member

Great news. Several of us in the west would really appreciate that in early May on our way to the black hills.