Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I-95 corridor superchargers: Good ones? Bad ones?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

I’m whiling away the days until my new-to-me 85D arrives (it’s on a truck somewhere between Seattle and DC) planning road trips to visit friends and family. Many of these involve the I-95 corridor, either North to NY, Boston and New Hampshire, or South to NC and onward to Jacksonville and Naples, FL.

So, for those of you who have been doing the I-95 thing (and 75 and 93) for a while, are there any particularly good superchargers to hit? Easy access from the Interstate, good coffee / bathroom / stretch-your-legs options, that kind of thing? And any to avoid - out of the way, not much to do etc?

Thanks in advance, and apologies if this has been asked and answered; I’ve searched and not found a similar thread.

There is a rest stop in Newark, De, just north of the DE state line that has a pretty nice facilities. When you are traveling Northbound and left-exit into the rest area (it’s in the middle because I-95 isn’t a toll road), the Tesla chargers are on the north side of the rest area near the Starbuck’s - the generic chargers for Leafs and Bolts are on the south side.

Reactions: JimmyB
One that I would avoid, depending on the time of day, is the one in Claymont, De, just south of the PA state line. It is just off I-95 in a Wawa (like 7-11, but better) in a shopping center with a giant liquor store (bigger than a supermarket), a Home Depot, and a Taco Bell/KFC. Getting in and out of the Wawa parking lot and then out of the shopping center parking lot is pretty painful when things are busy. I think Delaware intentionally builds parking lots to be impossible to navigate.

There is a SC desert in Philly proper right now unless you’re okay with substantial deviations off I-95 and using urban SCs, but just a bit north of Philly in Bensalem there is a somewhat new V3 SC at Wawa - much easier to navigate than Claymont and a lot less busy. If it were me, I would use the Newark, DE SC (V2) and grab some chow or else try to make it to Bensalem. Wawa has restrooms and great made-to-order foods.

The Kingsland GA supercharger is behind a visitor center that's only open weekdays. When it's closed the nearest bathroom is at the gas station next door. There's a Cracker Barrel nearby, not many other food options within walking distance.

The Santee SC supercharger is at the Clarks Inn. Last year the Inn reserved one or two of their hotel rooms for supercharger users, so you could use the bathroom and freshen up. Nice touch. I hope they keep doing it after the pandemic.

Every supercharger I've used along the I-95 corridor has a bathroom available somewhere, and most have multiple food options. Don't worry, just stop where the car tells you to. 🙂

Have made numerous roundtrips from NH down to NC (Charlotte) and have hit the following (listed from north to south):

1. Meriden CT (South of Hartford) on 84: In a Dunkin Donuts parking lot for a decent restroom break. Wendy's is next door with some other fast food places just down the street.
2.. Greenwich CT (on 15, Merritt Parkway): These are at crowded rest stops north and south and chargers sometimes get iced. Gets a little congested but there are restrooms and a decent snack shop. And the Parkway is a great scenic road.
3.. Elizabeth NJ (across 95 from Newark airport): At a large mall, found it traffic-congested and confusing getting there through industrial parks after you get off 95. Once there, the chargers are on the outskirts of the mall parking lot with nothing immediately around. The walk to the mall appeared lengthy and I didn't bother. So I don't know where the bathrooms are once you get inside. I won't stop here again.
4. Woodbridge Township NJ: At a Wawa which is great. But another really congested parking lot and a bit of a maze getting there off 95. I've stopped here a couple of times.
5. Newark DE: Rest stop on 95. Lots of amenities. Easy on and off the highway. Highly recommended.
6. North East MD (Chesapeake House) and Aberdeen MD (Maryland House): Rest stops on 95. Again, lots of food options and plenty of bathrooms. Easy on and off. Highly recommend.
7. White Marsh MD: At Royal Farms gas station and market. Nice new facility. Good bathroom and snack stop.
At this point I veer off West on 85 towards Greensboro and then on to Charlotte....
8. South Hill VA: One of the earliest Supercharger locations, located in a remote filthy parking lot of a sketchy restaurant with nothing around. A new truck/travel plaza was built years later down the road but it's dangerous to walk there while charging as there are no sidewalks and you are walking on the busy road. This has been my least favorite of all my stops over the years, but it's sometimes necessary because it's slim pickings along 85 toward Charlotte. Plan around this one if you can.

In general, if I can find a Supercharger located at a Wawa or Sheetz, that's where I would head. State run rest stops are usually pretty good as mentioned in MD and DE. These are my own personal opinions/observations; your experience may differ.

• Informative
The Savannah GA supercharger is in the parking garage of their small airport. There’s a fee to park (I think it’s only $1), but you can walk to the nearby terminal and get your ticket validated for free parking. The bathrooms and food options are in the terminal. The superchargers can be hard to find — take the first parking lot exit off Airways Ave, and the superchargers are in the second garage building, furthest from the road.

• Informative