Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I accidentally discovered an awesome feature to show off Tesla to others

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Vern Padgett

Proud and Grinning Model S90D owners
Supporting Member
Aug 17, 2006
Whittier, California
I can't believe how dumb this will sound but I just accidentally discovered that the car will park itself after you get out of the car, if you press in the parking stalk two times.

I've been using AutoPark for perpendicular and for parallel parking every chance I have, and I use Summon in the parking lot whenever anyone else is in sight, but I did not know about this self-parking feature.

I admit to being dumb-- but I am pretty sure I read the manual a time or two or three-- Is it a recent (last 2 years ) upgrade that you can press in the button on the right stalk, indicate forward or backwards, get out of the car, and the car parks itself?
My plan is to use this every single morning I park at work. AWESOME FEATURE!

Today at 5 pm I silently crept up behind a fellow employee and demo'ed Auto Park with perpendicular parking, and then got out of the car and demo'ed Summon. She nearly fell over again and again. AWESOME!

I discovered this feature because I'm now pulling down on that right stalk two times not one to put in in drive, because otherwise it stays in Park. So I accidentally pressed it in two times to park it-- and discovered it .... well I said that already.

What firmware do you have? It is a S90D right?
When was that delivered? I wasn’t aware of this at all and if it is true would be of huge help. Auto park doesn’t work well when you are in the car (especially perpendicular) because it is so slow and hard to judge distances. However, if you can set up and exit and it auto park, then I can see it being useful. As long as you can stop it quickly if something goes wrong.

How do you pause or cancel auto park from outside the car?

It is known that you can initiate Summon by pulling on the stalk but are you saying you can pull perpendicular to a parking spot, pull on the stalk, get out of the car and it will back into the opening (which is perpendicular to the car)?

I can't believe how dumb this will sound but I just accidentally discovered that the car will park itself after you get out of the car, if you press in the parking stalk two times.

I've been using AutoPark for perpendicular and for parallel parking every chance I have, and I use Summon in the parking lot whenever anyone else is in sight, but I did not know about this self-parking feature.

I admit to being dumb-- but I am pretty sure I read the manual a time or two or three-- Is it a recent (last 2 years ) upgrade that you can press in the button on the right stalk, indicate forward or backwards, get out of the car, and the car parks itself?
My plan is to use this every single morning I park at work. AWESOME FEATURE!

Today at 5 pm I silently crept up behind a fellow employee and demo'ed Auto Park with perpendicular parking, and then got out of the car and demo'ed Summon. She nearly fell over again and again. AWESOME!

I discovered this feature because I'm now pulling down on that right stalk two times not one to put in in drive, because otherwise it stays in Park. So I accidentally pressed it in two times to park it-- and discovered it .... well I said that already.

Suffice it say that you, Sir, are a Brave Man :).

I've used Summon with success as long as there are no pronounced inclines or declines. But I've stopped using Autopark for parallel parking since changing to a car with AP2 - Autopark therewith has a tendency to run right into curbs, and after stopping that with an inch to spare once or twice, I concluded that this is just another feature not yet ready for prime time - I just don't need the curb rash.

That said, I will re-try Autopark once more, based upon your successes, out of curiosity now that I have *.10.4.

And while again I commend you for using Autopark for perpendicular parking, I only very rarely park in a space that is next to another one - which is to say if I was in a "regular" parking space, I tend to park well to one side at the end of a row (where such spaces exist, that is - I won't double-park, since in Los Angeles that's just... not well-received). Anyway, since Autopark tends to park exactly in the middle of a parking space, that kinda shoots down that idea, generally speaking.

Tangentially, just the other day I parked in such a space at the end of a row *NEXT TO A BLUE RESTRICTED WALKWAY*, and some miserable asshat still parked entirely too near my driver's side door, which prompted the use of Summon to move the car such that I could enter it from the driver's side. Fortunately, no door dent resulted from the adjacent asshat's inconsiderate... adjacency.

Picture attached. Note they are ON TOP OF the restricted walkway area and are easily FIVE OR SIX FEET over from where they should be parked, except they shouldn't even be parked *THERE* since that is a handicapped space and the asshat displayed neither sufficient placard nor plate. Yep. Can't wait for the day when fines are automated for this kind of poor behavior.

Bring on the drone parking police! Hohoho. Either that or the aforementioned asshat should buy a Tesla and use the Autopark feature since at least according to the December 2016 video *cough*, the car will know the difference between restricted handicapped spaces and not. What, too soon?

IMG_3567.JPG

What firmware do you have? It is a S90D right?
When was that delivered? I wasn’t aware of this at all and if it is true would be of huge help. Auto park doesn’t work well when you are in the car (especially perpendicular) because it is so slow and hard to judge distances. However, if you can set up and exit and it auto park, then I can see it being useful. As long as you can stop it quickly if something goes wrong. How do you pause or cancel auto park from outside the car?
Hi Snowstorm.
It is true!!! We have TWO S90Ds. I saved up enough by driving the same car for 30 years that I could pay cash for both Teslas (1987 Acura Integra-- great car, but ICE).
April 2016 Production; Late May 2016 delivery.
I do not know how to abort or cancel it-- I never thought about that. I just trust that the car drives a whole lot better than I can.
(I bet pressing on top of the fob would stop it-- but I like to walk away from it without looking back and let it park itself-- what a sales feature ... ).

Last edited:
TaoJones, Thanks!
Not brave, just that I want to believe.
I've been waiting for my Model 3 since 2003 or before-- I didn't know about the GM EV1 ten or so years earlier but I should have-- I've been waiting since it was called the Blue Star.
I already know that my S can drive better than I can--- I put it on AP on the 60 Freeway and it DID NOT slow down when the truck in front of me flashed its brake lights--- I panicked-- but let the AP go ahead-- It was right and I was wrong. The AP was not reading the brake lights-- it was reading the speed of the truck in front of me. The truck had NOT slowed down, even though the brake lights came on. The car is smarter, and drives better, than I can.
Maybe the fact that I'm picking up a Model 3 on Sunday at 2:30 at Marina Del Ray for my daughter has something to do with my enthusiasm ... :):):)

It is known that you can initiate Summon by pulling on the stalk but are you saying you can pull perpendicular to a parking spot, pull on the stalk, get out of the car and it will back into the opening (which is perpendicular to the car)?
No ... just goes either forward or back.
You can use Summon by pulling on the stalk?
I'm happy if I can make that work using the fob.
How do you use Summon with the stalk? Or are we talking about the same thing--- I'm already using it by pressing the right stalk inward two times-- that's what you mean, right?

And if the car can park itself perpendicularly with you in the car, there is no reason it could not do that with you out of the car-- next software update?

Last edited:
Some guy accidentally triggered Summon this way, got out of the car, and the car drove itself into a truck. It was a flatbed truck with the platform sticking out at the rear, well above what the ultrasonics would detect. Tesla updated the firmware after that to require a confirmation.
Dang!
Still A Few Bugs in the System (Gary Trudeau)