Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I accidentally discovered an awesome feature to show off Tesla to others

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TaoJones, Thanks!
Not brave, just that I want to believe.
I've been waiting for my Model 3 since 2003 or before-- I didn't know about the GM EV1 ten or so years earlier but I should have-- I've been waiting since it was called the Blue Star.
I already know that my S can drive better than I can--- I put it on AP on the 60 Freeway and it DID NOT slow down when the truck in front of me flashed its brake lights--- I panicked-- but let the AP go ahead-- It was right and I was wrong. The AP was not reading the brake lights-- it was reading the speed of the truck in front of me. The truck had NOT slowed down, even though the brake lights came on. The car is smarter, and drives better, than I can.
Maybe the fact that I'm picking up a Model 3 on Sunday at 2:30 at Marina Del Ray for my daughter has something to do with my enthusiasm ... :):):)

Congratulations for adding a Model 3 to the family! The more, the merrier.

A friend picks his up next week from MdR as well - he was an early-hour line-waiter so for him, this has been quite the 363-day wait.

But who’s counting :).

Reactions: Vern Padgett
It should be mentioned that this feature is available in the US and Mexico only.
It's in the manual on page 81 and 82.
So it's even worse then... not only don't we have homelink, we don't get this feature at all. No wonder I didn't read this in the AU manual for my vehicle. ... Actually I went outside and tried it halfway through composing this response; no dice. It's simply a feature you get and we don't. Oh well, we get spotify :p

Reactions: PrGrPa
It should be mentioned that this feature is available in the US and Mexico only.
It's in the manual on page 81 and 82.

Oh wow I just read it. On my MX manual it is on 102 and 103. I didn't know you could activate summon this way. At delivery, they only showed us the keyfob way and the app way. When I first read OP's post, I thought the car would turn and park like when you do autopark, but it is actually just go backward or forward. I wonder if the car would still move if you are still seating inside and just open and close the door.

Last edited:
I admit to being dumb-- but I am pretty sure I read the manual a time or two or three-- Is it a recent (last 2 years ) upgrade that you can press in the button on the right stalk, indicate forward or backwards, get out of the car, and the car parks itself?

if you are talking about activating Summon via double tap on the Park button and exiting the car, this is NOT a new feature - it was introduced in a version of firmware v7.1, sometime back around early 2016 (well, I guess if you consider within last 2 years "recent", then yes it is :) )

some of the other posts in this thread are asking about auto parallel park and auto perpendicular park, but I believe the OP was specifically talking about Summon (auto park forward or backwards only). AFAIK this double-tap method does NOT apply to parallel or perpendicular auto-park

see this video from Feb 2016 (starting around 1:53) explaining the various new feature of Summon in v7.1 (22.12.22), including demo of the double-tap Summon

Note you also have to set Require Continuous Press = No in the Summon customization settings to use the double tap & exit method. As someone mentioned, US and Mexico cars only

Some guy accidentally triggered Summon this way, got out of the car, and the car drove itself into a truck. It was a flatbed truck with the platform sticking out at the rear, well above what the ultrasonics would detect. Tesla updated the firmware after that to require a confirmation.

yeah, this:
Driver whose Tesla Model S crashed while using Summon was breaking all the rules

How do you pause or cancel auto park from outside the car?

to stop the car from outside, you can use the fob or app, or by pressing any door handle
(as mentioned in an official Tesla statement quoted in the above linked article from The Verge):

Quote:
This feature will park Model S while the driver is outside the vehicle. Please note that the vehicle may not detect certain obstacles, including those that are very narrow (e.g., bikes), lower than the fascia, or hanging from the ceiling. As such, Summon requires that you continually monitor your vehicle's movement and surroundings while it is in progress and that you remain prepared to stop the vehicle at any time using your key fob or mobile app or by pressing any door handle. You must maintain control and responsibility for your vehicle when using this feature and should only use it on private property.

Last edited:
Thank you Vern, I appreciate the info. I also was unaware of this feature.

A few weeks ago I accidentally discovered something also. I already had learned that if you press the brake hard it will lock. Then you press the accelerator pedal to release it. What I just learned was that if you press hard on the brake again it will release. I am sure most of you already knew this, but I did not. I even read a post months ago what someone ran their Tesla into their office building rather than letting it creep forward with their foot on the brake. Maybe he, like me, did not know it could be released by pressing on the brake again.

Also, while locking and unlocking the brake I realized that their is a symbol on the display that shows when the brake is locked. It has been there all along, but I never noticed it. Go figure. Anyway, I hope this helps others that, like me, did not know this.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
Also, while locking and unlocking the brake I realized that their is a symbol on the display that shows when the brake is locked. It has been there all along, but I never noticed it. Go figure. Anyway, I hope this helps others that, like me, did not know this.
My IC actually shows a msg stating to “Press brake again to release.” vs a symbol/icon only.

Any video showing this trick ?
check the video in the post immediately above yours, about the 2:00min mark

A few weeks ago I accidentally discovered something also. I already had learned that if you press the brake hard it will lock. Then you press the accelerator pedal to release it. What I just learned was that if you press hard on the brake again it will release.[...]
fyi that feature is called "vehicle hold", you can search for details in the owners manual

Thank you Vern, I appreciate the info. I also was unaware of this feature.

A few weeks ago I accidentally discovered something also. I already had learned that if you press the brake hard it will lock. Then you press the accelerator pedal to release it. What I just learned was that if you press hard on the brake again it will release. I am sure most of you already knew this, but I did not. I even read a post months ago what someone ran their Tesla into their office building rather than letting it creep forward with their foot on the brake. Maybe he, like me, did not know it could be released by pressing on the brake again.

Thanks Graffi. I don't think I've ever pressed hard on the brake.

Dang, f-stop-- so it was there all along! I must have forgot about it. So it is just Summon from the center screen, not from outside the car with the fob or phone. I get it.

The car Summons with no one in the driver's seat, in a couple different ways.

Why is it that so many here-- the world's experts on Tesla-- did not know about this?

I think Tesla has a problem with words. On the screen in the video it says "Autopark"-- but we are really discussing Summon. I would ask Tesla to change the word on the screen to "Summon Outside the Car" or equivalent. Reason is that "Autopark" implies the parking that the car does automatically, like perpendicular and parallel, which is not what Summon does, nor what "autopark" (Summon when you double-tap and leave the car) does.

My 2 kopeks.

Edit: f-stop, you are the Man. I knew that all the time that this feature was something there that I missed! Jeez. And all these posts from others who didn't know about it-- what gives?

Last edited:
Parallel parking lines up with the car front and back, which is why you need a car front and back, and not the curb. If the curb gets in the way, it ain't going to care... ouch. I'd be sick if I was outside the car watching it do it