Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I actually like my Model 3 better than a model Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would compare the feel of the S to my old '75 Chevy Impala. Definitely boat-like in feel. The 3 is like my previous favorite car, a '92 Mazda Protege. That thing, even though it was the bottom of the line trim, hugged the corners and stuck to the road like glue, and with its manual transmission I could GO. Loved that thing, until, of course, my Model 3.

They are just different cars for different purposes and different tastes, that's all. If I were doing an ultra long cross country trip, I might prefer the S, but for now, I love the handling of the 3, and also the fact that it's a much smaller car. I can't imagine what X owners go through trying to park that monstrosity.

I had a 2014 Model S for about 8 months while awaiting my Model 3......

I love both, but if I had to pick a favorite, it would be the 3. Smaller and easier to park in the city. Faster, lighter, more technologically advanced, can go further and spend less time charging at stops.

But they're both great. If there was no 3, I'd still be in the S.

Reactions: Futuresystem
Have been driving a 75D loaner for a few weeks now, I like both cars. Here's how I feel about both cars.

Model S is a very sexy car. From the front to the back, there’s a distinct aggressive yet elegant vibe to the car. It is a really standout sedan, people are always turning their heads to look at the car to a point it makes me uncomfortable. I was attracted to the S before I knew much about the model 3. But seeing it in person and driving it for a few weeks is something else.

Now the 3 gives off different vibes, ones that are more sporty, cool, hip, and smart. I noticed that younger people really love the Model 3, especially kids. Honestly both cars are awesome and they do cater to a wide audience. Kudos to Tesla design team.

What’s great about the S interior wise is the larger space and hatchback. It has more controls and two screen for people they want them. For me personally I really miss model 3’s interior. I’m used to the speedo to the side already. Having to look at the speed through the steering wheel is a pita, reminds me of my previous ICE cars. The way I have the seat and steering wheel adjusted, the steering wheel blocks the speedo. Plus I hold the wheel with 1 hand at 11-12 o'clock position, my hand is also in the way. So in order to see the speed, I have to duck slightly and move my hand. The end result? I glance at the speed less, and I'm driving way over the speed limit too often.

The center console in the S is also less comfortable for me. I could rest my right elbow and arm very comfortably in the Model 3. But for the Model S, the padding is very short and narrow, it's quite awkward to find a comfortable position for my right arm to rest on. This is a bigger issue during long trips, not a big deal for short local drives. The humongous screen do extend too far down in my opinion. Its bottom left edge pokes at my right knee. Again, making long drives uncomfortable since there's no way to rest my right leg properly.

The Model 3 does not have any of these issues, and I find Model 3's touchscreen much more intuitive and easier to glance at. So while Model S interior do speak more premium and luxury feeling, I much prefer Model 3's interior design. The visibility in the 3 is much better, while S gives you more of that cockpit feeling. It's also easier to get in and out of the Model 3 than the S.

Some people mention about the size of Model S as a turnoff. I actually didn't mind the size, the car drove fine. It's roughly the same width as Model 3 (S is only 4 inches wider), so parking in a normal parking spot felt natural. S is longer however, 10 inches longer, so I would imagine parallel parking would be more difficult. But honestly I don't get any negative feelings driving the S compared to 3. Both are great, with the Model S feeling a bit more planted to the ground when driving at high speeds (90mph+). Tesla design & engineering really shines here, as both cars give you great driving experiences.

I can't wait to get my Model 3 back, I miss the Model 3's range. Overall I do like my Model 3 better, it just suits me better. Model S I feel could be 5x better once they refresh and rework the interiors a bit. But we know Tesla's already working on that so good for them.

Have been driving a 75D loaner for a few weeks now, I like both cars. Here's how I feel about both cars.

Model S is a very sexy car. From the front to the back, there’s a distinct aggressive yet elegant vibe to the car. It is a really standout sedan, people are always turning their heads to look at the car to a point it makes me uncomfortable. I was attracted to the S before I knew much about the model 3. But seeing it in person and driving it for a few weeks is something else.

Now the 3 gives off different vibes, ones that are more sporty, cool, hip, and smart. I noticed that younger people really love the Model 3, especially kids. Honestly both cars are awesome and they do cater to a wide audience. Kudos to Tesla design team.

What’s great about the S interior wise is the larger space and hatchback. It has more controls and two screen for people they want them. For me personally I really miss model 3’s interior. I’m used to the speedo to the side already. Having to look at the speed through the steering wheel is a pita, reminds me of my previous ICE cars. The way I have the seat and steering wheel adjusted, the steering wheel blocks the speedo. Plus I hold the wheel with 1 hand at 11-12 o'clock position, my hand is also in the way. So in order to see the speed, I have to duck slightly and move my hand. The end result? I glance at the speed less, and I'm driving way over the speed limit too often.

The center console in the S is also less comfortable for me. I could rest my right elbow and arm very comfortably in the Model 3. But for the Model S, the padding is very short and narrow, it's quite awkward to find a comfortable position for my right arm to rest on. This is a bigger issue during long trips, not a big deal for short local drives. The humongous screen do extend too far down in my opinion. Its bottom left edge pokes at my right knee. Again, making long drives uncomfortable since there's no way to rest my right leg properly.

The Model 3 does not have any of these issues, and I find Model 3's touchscreen much more intuitive and easier to glance at. So while Model S interior do speak more premium and luxury feeling, I much prefer Model 3's interior design. The visibility in the 3 is much better, while S gives you more of that cockpit feeling. It's also easier to get in and out of the Model 3 than the S.

Some people mention about the size of Model S as a turnoff. I actually didn't mind the size, the car drove fine. It's roughly the same width as Model 3 (S is only 4 inches wider), so parking in a normal parking spot felt natural. S is longer however, 10 inches longer, so I would imagine parallel parking would be more difficult. But honestly I don't get any negative feelings driving the S compared to 3. Both are great, with the Model S feeling a bit more planted to the ground when driving at high speeds (90mph+). Tesla design & engineering really shines here, as both cars give you great driving experiences.

I can't wait to get my Model 3 back, I miss the Model 3's range. Overall I do like my Model 3 better, it just suits me better. Model S I feel could be 5x better once they refresh and rework the interiors a bit. But we know Tesla's already working on that so good for them.
This is a great summary.

. ....They are just different cars for different purposes and different tastes, that's all. If I were doing an ultra long cross country trip, I might prefer the S, but for now, I love the handling of the 3, and also the fact that it's a much smaller car. I can't imagine what X owners go through trying to park that monstrosity.

X owners probably go through much the same as many of the Expedition, Escslade, other large SUVs and many of the family daily driver pickup trucks I see in parking lots.

A bit off the topic here and not to anyone’s comment but for all those people out there who have labeled Tesla owners as elite rich, I have to wonder if they have ever looked at the price of some of these other vehicles that are far more prevalent on the roads that I’ve been on than Teslas.

Reactions: RedModel3 and TT97
We have an S and an X, and I was planning on selling the S for a 3... but just can’t get beyond the looks. My wife and I both think the 3 is ugly. Even the X looks better, and that’s ugly next to the S. White seems to hide the lines a little better, but they’re still so stubby and squat ‍♂️

• Disagree
I had to take my Model 3 in for a minor issue and they gave a Model S loader for the day. I thought I would be jealous from driving a more premium car but surprisingly missed my Model 3.

I had the same experience.

One additional thought I had while driving the S (for a week...)

"Why do they have all these unnecessary buttons and stalks?!?"

Hahaha. I got used to the design ethic of the 3.

Reactions: IdaX
I had a P85 loaner for a few days and definitely missed my 3. I did love the acceleration while still having RWD (I find RWD much more fun than AWD) and really miss the frunk in that car (you can fit an adult in that thing).

For such a large car, I somehow managed to hit my head several times trying to get in, something I have never had issue with the 3.
I hit my head multiple times with the loaner S as well. May be S's seats are higher.

This is why they make different cars. Some like the design of one over other and same goes for the ride. I have a feelng the model Y will be Tesla’s top seller when it hits the market. If they can make an affordable pick up truck with good range, it will be a big hit in North America.

I don’t know if I’d say I like my Model 3 better than our Model S but definitely enjoy and like driving it. In fact much better than I thought. I was admittedly hesitant when placing the order about the size (too small) and the sole center, non-tilted screen area (I wear progressives and had concern over how my view of instrument/control/nav screens would be). Found I adapted pretty quickly, and Tesla relocating the nav directions to the left side of the map helped. After almost 5 months with it, can safely say our Teslas are the best cars we’ve owned.

I considered the 3 vs S when I sold my first S that was nearly 5 yrs old. I didn’t think I would like the single smaller screen coming from the S on the 3. The clincher for me was the non hatchback trunk on the 3. The hatchback on the S is cavernous. I place my bicycle in it without removing the wheels. Not surprised that the 3 is more nimble. So it depends what is important to you.

Personally, i just chose a used model S over a new 3 two weeks ago because the S has the dash screen and more interior room. At 6'-2" i value the additional space. The interior of the S could certainly be updated after being essentially unchanged for however many years, but if they remove the second dash screen I personally think it would be a big loss. I came to Tesla because of the performance and enjoyment of driving a car with an electric motor, in addition to the other advanced features. The car isn't just something to get me from A to B in with the least hassle possible, most days I ENJOY the act of driving from point A to point B. Having the speed and energy tachometer available at a glance in the dash screen is part of an involved driver/performance oriented aesthetic. The step by step zoomed in nav popping in when a destination is set is also awesome. Seeing what the car sees while on auto pilot in stop and go traffic also brings some measure of trust to this feature (though it needs some defensive/active driver lessons, you don't sit in the adjacent lane's blind spot if you want to live long in DFW).

If they lose the dash screen in a refresh I think they would lose people like me and new electric vehicle owners that find some measure of comfort in it being similar to traditional cars. The S is a more expensive up market vehicle it should have more 'features' in the interior as well.

Reactions: IdaX