Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I am disappointed with the lane assist blind spot warning performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to be aggressively warned (visual and sound) when I want to change line and the car detect and approaching car either on the right or left side. The only warning (silent visual), I get is on the instrument driver screen and it appears only when the approaching car is very close (Blind spot). Is it possible to get a more aggressive warning much sooner?

How about you just turn your head and check your blind spot like every other driver on the planet rather than blindly merging and hoping a loud sound will stop you.
or more so adapt to the side mirrors setting that eliminates blind spots. in short, since your rearview mirror already sees behind you. tilt your side mirrors out until you dont see the sides of the car. this moves them out far enough to see cars at all times either in rear view or side mirrors.

I would imagine that improvements may be made in future iterations in order to alert the driver more to hazards. However, these assist features are really supposed to assist, not replace your driving skills.

I spend my free time volunteering for a large advanced driving association, coaching people on how to improve their driving. While part of the coaching includes knowing and using the available options such as blind-spot assist on your vehicle to help your drive, that doesn't preclude doing the shoulder-checks that could save a cyclist's life.

Likewise those who come to us with automatic cars, still have to demonstrate that they have control of the vehicle and can use all the available options (hill-start, descent control, manual modes etc) at their disposal in an appropriate manner to the situation in which they find themselves.

If it came down to it, I would much rather that every single driver took an advanced driving course, than that cars did more and more for us, as people often mistakenly believe that the technology abrogates their responsibility for driving skilfully.

How about you just turn your head and check your blind spot like every other driver on the planet rather than blindly merging and hoping a loud sound will stop you.

And while you’re at it, you might as well get a proper car that has a combustion engine and a hand crank to start. :rolleyes:

Yes, proper driving is important, but technology moves on, and Tesla is missing an assist feature that has been the norm for a decade already (at least in German cars of a similar price) that should be relatively easy for them to implement.

I love Tesla as much as the next person, but the apologists over the blind spot warning gets old.

The lectures on mirror position or turning your head gets old.

This is simply a safety aid / driver assist feature that will help prevent accidents in the event that the driver of the car isn't 100% perfect over their lifetime. Obviously if you have perfect mirrors and never make a mistake when you check your blind spot then you have no use for this particular aid. For the rest of us, there is fortunately a technical solution to this problem that Tesla is egregiously behind the times on.

Tesla thought they could solve it with ultrasonic sensors - they were wrong. Now I assume they think they can solve it with the cameras since they didn't include real blind spot detection in AP2 hardware - hopefully they will, but as of today they have not.

Reliance of technology in the event of failure and then not having a backup of setting your mirrors properly and/or looking over your shoulder would lead to more accidents.

Well, they’d better fix that before FSD, eh?

Meanwhile, it would be nice to not be 10 years behind other manufacturers when it comes to the basics in this vehicle class.

Effective blind spot recognition, massaging seats, and a lack of phantom braking would be oh so extra spiffy indeed.

Reactions: Ormond and SDRick
The fact is that the S does have a big blind spot caused by the C pillars. While I make do with rear view mirrors that are tilted pretty far out [the proper way to adjust them] It would be nice to have electronic warnings at least as good as other cars. I leave plenty of room once I've passed another car and don't pull back in from the passing lane until I can see the car that I've passed in my rear view mirror.

Reactions: Ormond
Audi has fielded a very good blind-spot warning system for years using acoustic sensors on the rear of the vehicle and yellow lights on the inboard side of the external mirrors for driver alerts. It’s disappointing that Tesla hasn’t come up with something equivalent.

Well there is no blind spot warning yet in these cars so hard to be disappointed by something that doesn’t exist.

It's actually very easy to be disappointed when your other car does have an effective blind spot warning! It is a feature that very much exists outside of the Tesla bubble. I'm also disappointed in the lack of a 360 surround camera view.

Reactions: MJGolf
It's actually very easy to be disappointed when your other car does have an effective blind spot warning! It is a feature that very much exists outside of the Tesla bubble. I'm also disappointed in the lack of a 360 surround camera view.
I was referring to the fact OP said they were disappointed with the performance of blind spot warning in Tesla’s (the title of the post). You can’t be disappointed in the performance, because there is no performance. It doesn’t exist.