Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I am doing the right thing buying this model x 100d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

I ordered by model x 100d about three weeks ago. After reading problems with pairing of phones to the system also problems with the sun visor. Also not having a spare for my long journeys through Europe, and how comfortable are those back seats on a long journey. Just wondering if I am doing the right thing buying this car.
Can anyone give their thoughts

Never had a problem pairing phone. Did not have a problem with visor. Used accessory sun visor briefly, but defeated the openness of the car, so have not used it again. I have not sat for long distances in the back seats, i presume they are like those in a sports car...

Get the X and keep it forever. Hopefully we can swap out batteries in the near future as technology progresses...

Reactions: Tomnook and Algbc
I keep reading threads where people have problems with pairing their phones. I never had any problems with my mercedes ML350
I was going to get the windscreen tinted slightly to avoid get the sun on my head all day.
Thanks for your reply

The model x is a wonderful vehicle. My iPhone works perfectly with it. After 1 week of ownership I took my family of 4 on a 2200 mile road trip and everyone was super happy with it. Very comfortable, USB plugs everywhere, quiet, etc. Lots of wonderful storage space as well - leaving the cabin for passengers and their comfort.

Reactions: FlyF4
Many thanks for your reply.
Can I ask what arrangements did you make for not having a spare wheel.
I was going to get a skinny wheel as a spare
I carry the Tesla inflator and a tire patching kit. I know that on the Model S there are people that get a spare tire kit for a BMW X3. It should work on the X also. Don't forget to get the jack also if you go that route.

Also not having a spare for my long journeys through Europe

When we go a long journey like that we carry a spare. We haven't had a spare in any other car we have owned in the last half dozen years, so the Tesla is no different for us. We have a set of Winter Rims / Tyres (because I think it is just SO much better, even in marginal conditions which are cold-and-wet let alone an inch or two of snow (which has not been common in winters of late). Anyways, we just take a Winter wheel with us in Summer and a Summer wheel with us in Winter. It takes up a bit of boot space, but there is plenty.

You also need a jack / tools of course, as all these cars that don't have spare wheels also don't ship as standard with a jack either ...

I also have the Tesla inflation-pump and gunge-bottle, so for a minor puncture I would use that rather than changing the wheel, and we don't bother to carry a spare on short journeys in the UK

When we go a long journey like that we carry a spare. We haven't had a spare in any other car we have owned in the last half dozen years, so the Tesla is no different for us. We have a set of Winter Rims / Tyres (because I think it is just SO much better, even in marginal conditions which are cold-and-wet let alone an inch or two of snow (which has not been common in winters of late). Anyways, we just take a Winter wheel with us in Summer and a Summer wheel with us in Winter. It takes up a bit of boot space, but there is plenty.

You also need a jack / tools of course, as all these cars that don't have spare wheels also don't ship as standard with a jack either ...

I also have the Tesla inflation-pump and gunge-bottle, so for a minor puncture I would use that rather than changing the wheel, and we don't bother to carry a spare on short journeys in the UK
Thanks for your reassurance

Hi all

I ordered by model x 100d about three weeks ago. After reading problems with pairing of phones to the system also problems with the sun visor. Also not having a spare for my long journeys through Europe, and how comfortable are those back seats on a long journey. Just wondering if I am doing the right thing buying this car.
What are your priorities?
Flashy technology? Then yes.
High performace? Yes again.
Reliability? Then no.
Road trips? Not really what these cars are designed for.
Value for the money? Definitely not. The X would be awesome at 60k, but it's a rich man's toy at 120k.

Reliability? Then no.

Not many stories of breaking down by the roadside and having to be towed. I've had some teething problems, but nothing that prevented me using the car.

Road trips? Not really what these cars are designed for.

I have no problem with that. On occasions it takes some planning, but I've gone wherever I normally would have done.

Value for the money? Definitely not. The X would be awesome at 60k, but it's a rich man's toy at 120k.

Can't speak for the X specifically, but I have no problem with the S. Its an expensive car, and I have not chosen to buy expensive cars in the past, but my service interval (annually) is 25,000 miles, that's a lot less hassle-time, if not actual service cost money saving, than an ICE, far few moving parts bodes well longer term; it's saving me 75% on fuel, and as a company car 100% first year write-off, plus I've saved 4 hours or more in the year not standing on a forecourt pumping diesel once a week, and so on.

Cheap? no. But "definitely not" value for money ... nope, definitely not ...

Hi all

Not sure about owners in the Old Country but on this side of the pond X owners always get FWDs exorcised before buying.

Zero problems with visors, zero problems with pairing phone. Ever. As for how comfortable - I spent a couple days with friends down in Santa Cruz, who spent considerable time sitting in the 2nd row and in the front row of my 5-seater. "Most comfortable car ever!"

They just put their order in for their own X.

Zero problems with visors, zero problems with pairing phone. Ever. As for how comfortable - I spent a couple days with friends down in Santa Cruz, who spent considerable time sitting in the 2nd row and in the front row of my 5-seater. "Most comfortable car ever!"

They just put their order in for their own X.
Appreciate your reply

Hi all

Run-flats work fairly well as advertised. I've been running on BMW run-flats for the last decade. I've had a few punctures, and in all cases I was able to drive to a local tire place and fix it for under $50. I've used that repair kit once, it was a mess, and found it unnecessary. You can drive a bit in run-flats, and in both cases I drove 25km without any damage to the tire. Your experience in a Tesla might vary, but the run-flats are alright.

The one tip they gave me when picking up the car is have the iPhone seek for bluetooth connections before doing so on the car. Worked great. Seats are comfy. I just picked mine up last week, can't comment much on the rest, but I do love the car!

Run-flats work fairly well as advertised. I've been running on BMW run-flats for the last decade. I've had a few punctures, and in all cases I was able to drive to a local tire place and fix it for under $50. I've used that repair kit once, it was a mess, and found it unnecessary. You can drive a bit in run-flats, and in both cases I drove 25km without any damage to the tire. Your experience in a Tesla might vary, but the run-flats are alright.

The one tip they gave me when picking up the car is have the iPhone seek for bluetooth connections before doing so on the car. Worked great. Seats are comfy. I just picked mine up last week, can't comment much on the rest, but I do love the car!
Thanks for your reply I hope you enjoy your new car.

Reactions: Whisky
I'm pretty sure run flats are a big no no on a Tesla. The wheel has to be of a specific type to accommodate the run flat and the weight of the Tesla is an issue too.

I remember it being raised on the SpeakEV forum a while back.

I would ask Tesla if you are in doubt but am pretty sure they would say no. I certainly wouldn't be risking it unless Tesla approved it.

Reactions: cubbie