Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I am DONE with slow charging. Wired USB cables for fast charging.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have wireless charging pads for my phones, but the Model 3 doesn't have fast charging capabilities. The most reliable solution is to get a cigarette lighter fast charging adapter and snake USB cables to the area. This video inspired me to do it:

I used different parts and had a slightly more difficult time, but it still worked out perfect.

USB C Car Charger: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082SF8YPR
USB Type C Right Angle Extension Cable 6.6FT (2-Pack),90 Degree USB-C 3.1 Gen2 10Gbps Female to Male Extender Adapter Cord: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WD6BLLZ
USB C to USB 3.0 Adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AUKU1OO

I opted to get a charger and cables that use USB C since the connector is smaller and will most likely become the future standard connector. The wireless charging pads have 2 male USB A connectors, so the 3 pack of adapters are needed to finish the connection. I liked the right angle head of the male USB C and the charger is pretty flush.

The cables are really thick. This is a good thing since they're probably quality cables, but I was concerned about getting them to fit under the brackets. I was NOT able to see ANY gap to snake a cable of ANY thickness into the center console. I ended up drilling a hole into the center console area. Try to go as low as possible so the removable compartment will fit above the wires. Also, be careful where you drill the hole to the charging area I drilled at an angle to get the opening as low as possible. I had to use a small drill bit and then increase the size of the bit until I got a hole big enough. I used a small file to widen it so the second connector could fit with the first already snaked through.

Run the cables from the female USB-C side from the center console to the charging area. The right-angle male connectors are bigger so there's no sense trying to get them through a hole. Don't worry if you can't shove the cables behind the bottom plastic. There's plenty of space between the metal bracket and side panel.

The side panel was way more difficult to pop off than in the video. It took quite a bit of force to remove.

Sorry that I didn't take any pictures, but the video is close enough.

Nice

I'm going to do this for the front, but upgrade the rear ports to USB-C. I reason that of the two front ports, one is already taken up by the USB memory stick that does not benefit from USB-C so a full USB-C upgrade in front only benefits one port and it is simpler and cheaper to upgrade that port with a cable.

The side panel was way more difficult to pop off than in the video. It took quite a bit of force to remove.
There are two kinds of clips. Most are metal compression clips that just go straight in and out, but 4 clips are plastic with an upper lip. Because of these plastic clips, the panel comes off much easier when one hand pushes down on the panel while the other hand pulls it out (away.)

Last edited:
I have wireless charging pads for my phones, but the Model 3 doesn't have fast charging capabilities. The most reliable solution is to get a cigarette lighter fast charging adapter and snake USB cables to the area. This video inspired me to do it:

I used different parts and had a slightly more difficult time, but it still worked out perfect.

USB C Car Charger: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082SF8YPR
USB Type C Right Angle Extension Cable 6.6FT (2-Pack),90 Degree USB-C 3.1 Gen2 10Gbps Female to Male Extender Adapter Cord: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WD6BLLZ
USB C to USB 3.0 Adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AUKU1OO

I opted to get a charger and cables that use USB C since the connector is smaller and will most likely become the future standard connector. The wireless charging pads have 2 male USB A connectors, so the 3 pack of adapters are needed to finish the connection. I liked the right angle head of the male USB C and the charger is pretty flush.

The cables are really thick. This is a good thing since they're probably quality cables, but I was concerned about getting them to fit under the brackets. I was NOT able to see ANY gap to snake a cable of ANY thickness into the center console. I ended up drilling a hole into the center console area. Try to go as low as possible so the removable compartment will fit above the wires. Also, be careful where you drill the hole to the charging area I drilled at an angle to get the opening as low as possible. I had to use a small drill bit and then increase the size of the bit until I got a hole big enough. I used a small file to widen it so the second connector could fit with the first already snaked through.

Run the cables from the female USB-C side from the center console to the charging area. The right-angle male connectors are bigger so there's no sense trying to get them through a hole. Don't worry if you can't shove the cables behind the bottom plastic. There's plenty of space between the metal bracket and side panel.

Sorry that I didn't take any pictures, but the video is close enough.
How long is your cable?

There's 2 other ways to do this.

1) center console 12V addition. There's a thread about it. I posted my saga for it. 3hrs. Put in a secondary 12v cig adapter right in my front bin.

2) swap USB data hub to usb C with a new power adapter cable that another member is making. There's another thread on this.

I chose these routes rather than snake it up like you. This way I keep both 12V adapters.

Reactions: smatthew
I just completed a 12v plug install last weekend. I will have fast charging on both sides of wireless pad (Jeda V2) and I have USB-C with PD if I need to fast charge phone or charge Surface Book. Using a 3 port (2x QC USB-A and 1x 45w PD USB-C) 12v plug.

Completely worth it, and if you are moderately handy and have basic soldering experience, it's totally worth it. Very straight forward.
20200905_213312.jpg
20200906_144544.jpg

I would HIGHLY recommend just pulling the center console out, don't fight it. 6 bolts and slides out and was so easy to align it to get it back in.

Blows me away Tesla didn't put a 12v up here.

do you have a link to a good guide on how to remove the center console?
Step one) Prepare yourself to exert more force that you would think necessary......
Step two) Keep a clean pair of shorts nearby for when you hear a cracking noise and think you messed it up.... but don't realize until later it's just a clip coming off.

It's fairly easy
Remove side panels - remove 2 or 3 bolts on each side.
Unclip USB cable on right side of console.
Remove rear lower panel - remove 2 bolts
Disconnect console harness connector behind console rear lower panel. Technically, you should shut the car down to do this. I.E. disconnect 12V battery and unplug HV harness under right rear seat. I didn't bother. BUT - the center console houses the security module. With the center console unplugged you cannot unlock or start the car. I had nightmares about accidentally closing the door and the car locks with no way to get back in. Probably wouldn't happen... but to be safe I wouldn't close the doors until you've got everything reconnected.

Raise phone tray. Remove 2 screws

Console is free to roam about the cabin.....

I did the same, but I opted to use a 12v hub with a right angle connector so I have spare sockets just in case:

upload_2020-10-2_22-48-56.png

The 90 angle connector is small that it won't be in the way of the caddy.

I also used flat USB cables, instead of drilling a hole I just cut / filed the notches bigger so the cable doesn't get pinched - got the idea from this video:

I get fast charging with QC3 connectors, (12v ~.85A) but doesn't matter what cables i tried, or what adapter, even wall adapters I can't get the taptes Gen 3 to pull 15w as claimed - this is with a S20.

Version 2 of the Jeda pad is fully fast charge wireless on a Note 10+. Both sides will fast charge simultaneously as well!

I am now working a fan setup to cool the phone, it overheats with the fast wireless charging, slowing down the rate of charge big time.