Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I am DONE with slow charging. Wired USB cables for fast charging.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
do you have a link to a good guide on how to remove the center console?

Center console removal - Tesla Owners Online

that thread has a ton of info on how to remove it. it's INSANELY easy. literally a few bolts and maybe screws (not all models have them, apparently), and disconnecting two harnesses, and the entire thing just slides right out.

the hardest part is getting the trim panels off. once you have the carpeted side panels and plastic dash panels off it's crazy how easy it is.

Center console removal - Tesla Owners Online

that thread has a ton of info on how to remove it. it's INSANELY easy. literally a few bolts and maybe screws (not all models have them, apparently), and disconnecting two harnesses, and the entire thing just slides right out.

the hardest part is getting the trim panels off. once you have the carpeted side panels and plastic dash panels off it's crazy how easy it is.

I am looking at the instructions.

I still can't figure out why is necessary to remove the Rear Underhood Apron? That under the frunk.

Anyone try this yet?

US $59.00 | For Tesla MODEL 3 dual 10W mobile phone wireless charger, fast charging QI standard center console armrest box
US $59.0 |For Tesla MODEL 3 dual 10W mobile phone wireless charger, fast charging QI standard center console armrest box|Cigarette Lighter| - AliExpress

Is just the same mod OP mentioned, you still need to route the cables via the side trim as described in the pictures. Pretty sure some drilling / trimming is required for the cable to exit the center console, there are no openings - I tried.

I did the same thing, but I used flat USB cable that are better hidden than that.

I am looking at the instructions.

I still can't figure out why is necessary to remove the Rear Underhood Apron? That under the frunk.
The center console contains the security module. The proper method for disconnecting the center console involves disconnecting the 12V battery and the HV control circuit under the left rear seat.

Could you skip disconnecting the power? You could make that choice, but there is a risk.

The center console contains the security module. The proper method for disconnecting the center console involves disconnecting the 12V battery and the HV control circuit under the left rear seat.

Could you skip disconnecting the power? You could make that choice, but there is a risk.

I did not disconnect. I Powered Off fully, but car kept coming back online. Without security module, could not drive when console was out, but everything worked.

As always, my suggestions are opinions and I am not liable for any issues that occur.

I see. I am guessing just removing the center console as a whole should be enough to drill and install the 12v outlet? No need to take out the inner part?
Correct.

here's my buried post about this install. You should do it my way because it really takes no time to pull console and then the wiring splitter harness can be purchased online.
Additional Phone Charger Ports

One update i have is now I have a mild rattle from the wiring that's under the center console. It's easily fixable if i just tape it down or something. Lazy.... =p

i did not disconnect the battery either when i pulled my console, didn't see the need to. as has been mentioned, you can't drive the car with the console out, but why would you try to anyway? i didn't see any ill effects from pulling the console just by using the power off option in the settings.

lots of us have pulled the console without disconnecting the battery and the penthouse without any issues...what's the potential risk involved from pulling it without doing those?

Exactly. That's why my instructions follow Tesla's instructions. Do as I say, not as I do *wink wink*

Cool. I was just confused cause Tesla instructions said to remove rear seat cushions & and apron but didn't say what for. No indication on disconnecting the 12v - or maybe I missed it.

Anyways, does the upgraded USB-C port provide the necessary voltage & amparage for fast charging? I was thinking if i went this way, to use a USB hub to power both sides of the charging pad.

lots of us have pulled the console without disconnecting the battery and the penthouse without any issues...what's the potential risk involved from pulling it without doing those?

To be clear, I did not disconnect my battery when I disconnected my console. Could something bad potentially happen? Possibly. There must be a reason that Tesla says to shut down the car before unplugging the harness.

Cool. I was just confused cause Tesla instructions said to remove rear seat cushions & and apron but didn't say what for. No indication on disconnecting the 12v - or maybe I missed it.

Anyways, does the upgraded USB-C port provide the necessary voltage & amparage for fast charging? I was thinking if i went this way, to use a USB hub to power both sides of the charging pad.
Yes! In fact, the new Tesla charging pad only uses one USB-C connector to power the whole pad. It appears to be fast charging, but to be honest, if I want fast charging I just plug directly into USB-C. 50% charge in 30 minutes! Which sounds good, but my Tesla supercharges faster than that! ;-}

• Helpful
Reactions: JBT66 and Phlier
Yes! In fact, the new Tesla charging pad only uses one USB-C connector to power the whole pad. It appears to be fast charging, but to be honest, if I want fast charging I just plug directly into USB-C. 50% charge in 30 minutes! Which sounds good, but my Tesla supercharges faster than that! ;-}

I am looking at the instructions on your website, was thinking doing the rear first.

When i google 1111072-00-E it seems to show up the old version with the USB-A ports still.

Do i need to specify what year when ordering? If they lookup my VIN it will show i have the older model too right?

Ok, so I tried googling it - and most of the results were for the older USB-A model. I double checked my invoice, and 1111072-00-E is the USB-C Part.

No need to specify year when ordering. Each revision has its own part number. Tesla parts didn't seem to care that the part wasn't a perfect match for my car.