Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I am going to buy new tires for my Model 3 SR 2021 and I have some options. Any feedback on these or recommendations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Going to buy first set of new tires for my Model 3 SR+ and would like any feedback or recommendations? (tire size 235/45R18)

1. MICHELIN®PILOT® SPORT ALL SEASON 4 (It would be from Costco) (about $1,131.10)
2. BRIDGESTONE POTENZA RE980AS+ TIRE (It would be from Costco) (about $934.77)
3. Goodyear ElectricDrive™ GT (It would be from Les Schwab Tire Center) (about $1,092)

I like to look at some tests performed by professionals to take this type of decision. When TireRack has test results, I typically find them very informative. There is such a test for your two first choices: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=280

The electricdrive is not available in your size.
cool thank you and are you sure? the website says they have my size.

@GtiMart I used to trust Tire Rack reviews, and in years past they seemed to match my experiences. Recently though with my M3P I actually used two tires back-to-back that Tire Rack compared, and the Tire Rack comparison was so very wrong, very different my from actual experience.

Most other professional review comparisons with those tires included were much more in-line with my experience. Tire Rack was the oddball.

It wasn't this category you're comparing, I can't give any firsthand advice on the tires you asked about, but I suggest looking at other comparisons beyond Tire Rack too and looking for trends across them.

Ah, good to know, thanks @tm1v2 . Multiple reviews are better than a single one indeed. I've loved my Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+, but they used up quickly. My first choice for replacement without looking far was the Michelin PS AS4 but they are BO here, as well as the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06... so I ended up with Pirelli PZero All Season Plus. Haven't driven enough yet to have an opinion.

For what it's worth, the oddball Tire Rack comparison involved the Pirelli PZ4, which is what came on my M3P. In most "max performance" (~ 300 TW) comparisons I found, a lot from Europe, it ranked poorly, and I can tell you why - for 280 TW it really doesn't grip that well dry or wet, and it squeals in hard driving like an allseason.

Yet Tire Rack liked it and even ranked it above my replacement tire choice, which I can tell you performs significantly better. I can't explain how the comparison ended up so skewed though. I'm sure tire makers (and automakers) have slipped in ringer tires for car mag reviews, but I would expect Tire Rack to pull from their regular inventory and not be susceptible to one-off cheater tires.

Maybe Pirelli gave them a big pile of cash with a wink, but to me that would be a really stupid long-term business decision if Tire Rack accepted that.

Maybe the PZ4 happens to work extremely well in the exact size Tire Rack tested...but not so well in the stock M3P size or the sizes used in other comparisons I read. That seems implausible to me but I can't rule it out.

I really don't know, I just know Tire Rack got that one wrong.

In the past I always felt pretty well-steered by Tire Rack's comparisons (get it? 😉), in multiple tire categories from snow & ice to HPDE use, but I'm glad I didn't trust this one and unfortunately I'll be a lot more skeptical going forward.

• Love
Reactions: GtiMart
For my wife's SR+ we had Vredstein QTPro after the OEM Michelins and they were very good tires. They are now replaced with a set of Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 and I must say I am very impressed with the AS4. Only about 1k miles so far but energy consumption has been lower than expected ( lower than the lifetime of the Vredsteins) and they handle and ride better. I had AS3 on my wife's old car (X3) and loved them.

Reactions: GtiMart