Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"I am not a bot" most basic Turing test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
Well before we have trouble telling a robot from a human, I think we will have to weed out the online bots from the real people postings. That day is already here actually. These sorts of bot detectors are likely to become more common:

ELI5: Why can't bots check 'I am not a robot' checkboxes? • r/explainlikeimfive
https://www.quora.com/How-does-the-I-am-not-a-robot-CAPTCHA-work

A scenario that I find scary (and I wouldn't even post the idea if I didn't think it is already happening and needs to be stopped) goes something like this:

Software hacks into a Facebook account (brute force password guess or whatever).
Software copies the description of the person and all of the photos.
Software create a new profile with a similar name, and populates the profile to look like the original account.
Software goes through the friends list and sends new friend requests to all the people on the list.
As people friend the fake/decoy/copycat bot Facebook friend it then goes through all their personal posts, photos and such for things to use against them.
Software then extorts money saying that they must pay some bitcoins or else the private info will be posted publicly.

I imagine that such things would be difficult to prosecute. A piece of software did the 'dirty work', and the original author could be long gone or not involved with the effort.

Anyways, just some random pondering of the modern world.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
botp1.png

Well before we have trouble telling a robot from a human, I think we will have to weed out the online bots from the real people postings. That day is already here actually. These sorts of bot detectors are likely to become more common:

ELI5: Why can't bots check 'I am not a robot' checkboxes? • r/explainlikeimfive
https://www.quora.com/How-does-the-I-am-not-a-robot-CAPTCHA-work

A scenario that I find scary (and I wouldn't even post the idea if I didn't think it is already happening and needs to be stopped) goes something like this:

Software hacks into a Facebook account (brute force password guess or whatever).
Software copies the description of the person and all of the photos.
Software create a new profile with a similar name, and populates the profile to look like the original account.
Software goes through the friends list and sends new friend requests to all the people on the list.
As people friend the fake/decoy/copycat bot Facebook friend it then goes through all their personal posts, photos and such for things to use against them.
Software then extorts money saying that they must pay some bitcoins or else the private info will be posted publicly.

I imagine that such things would be difficult to prosecute. A piece of software did the 'dirty work', and the original author could be long gone or not involved with the effort.

Anyways, just some random pondering of the modern world.

I agree, people need to stop posting personally detrimental photos and information on Facebook.