Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I am now officially part of the family :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for mentioning that. I didn't really remember when/why I joined, so I just dug up my inaugural post and relived an amusing piece of personal history :)

I've been interested in Tesla from the beginning, when I first saw an article about the Roadster. Cool, but no way. When the S debuted, I drooled... but it wasn't a serious consideration. That changed when they announced (I believe on the same day?) AutoPilot and 'D'ual motors. That was a game changer. Autopilot later proved to be a major reason why I didn't get an S (get to that below) but the images it conjured up in my head had me spinning. The icing on the cake was AWD, which I knew would help address my wife's primary concern - safety in the snow.

I drove to Vancouver shortly after joining here, where they kindly gave me an S for 24 hours. It was a bitter sweet experience. I loved it pretty much in every way, but there were two major things that had me cancel my deposit. 1) Autopilot was a bit of a fail at that point. Really it was just ACC and automatic headlights and that was it. It didn't steer, it didn't lane change, it didn't do really much of anything that deserved the term "autopilot". Somehow I didn't know that going into the test drive. I realize that was on me (I should have researched) but expectations were up here... reality was down here. Of course in retrospect that was temporary, as we all now know, but at the time I couldn't know that. 2) That night I got stranded at a charger because the car wouldn't accept a charge and I didn't have enough range to get anywhere. The tiny town I was in didn't have a hotel that had a desk open past midnight so I ended up sleeping in the car. The worst thing was the 24 hour Tesla line... I had to leave a message and (to this day) they never called me back. Looking back, of course, I realize these were teething issues... but to someone that was probably looking for any hiccup to turf the deal, I took it as a sign and I bailed.

I have regretted that many times since.

I've come to hate my car in the winter. It always feels like its about to bust loose. I just don't trust it. I didn't want to go through another winter with it and I didn't want to keep waiting on the Model 3. The Chevy Volt turned out to be a bust... so here I am. Back where I was 2 years ago, but with a P in front of the emblem ;)

Several 2WD Tesla owners who live in northern, snowy environments have said their cars performed fine and they saw no real need for AWD. We got AWD for pretty much the same reasons you describe, and so far it works great (though this past winter wasn't much of a test here), but that's not to say it wasn't "overkill" and the 2WD wouldn't have been fine. I also like the greater cruising efficiency that their dual motor design enables.

Am I allowed to swear on here? Or cry, at least?

After previous delays (originally Monday turned to Wednesday turned to this morning) the car was supposed to be picked up "late this morning". I heard nothing all day. Now that it is 9:30pm their time, I get this message from the carrier:

My apologies on the no reply all day. That's complete unexceptible and I agree. There really is never any real excuse to why someone is late. But I do have a good one. Late last night when we were doing our last drop in Ottawa and on our way south one of the trailer axles caught fire. Long story short there was no damage to
Anything other then the axle
It's self and I was able to limp the truck to a reputable shop and they are on it.

I'm hoping to pick up the truck Monday morning and get back out there. I have you and 19 other people that are losing it and most will cancel. But that's life. I'm doing my best to make it all work , this month has been far from business as usual.

If you choose to find another carrier I completely understand. But we have full intentions on doing this shipment for you.

You can't make this stuff up.

zryIF0kmpieFiK7-5kAWyszv-yZq5x5B-RvfEI6LMsrhZVekiTc6QiHomj-_0qwwzy_ksXqdBRhw-AXe5pobMdXSJX03LiKIKDFU=w1920-h950