Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I am really sick of hearing you all cry about trunk / storage space in the 3.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never complained about it on TMC, but the trunk design of the Model 3 was probably the biggest reason we decided to seek out a CPO Model S instead of keeping our day 0 reservation. Let me just put it this way: Tesla managed to decrease the cargo volume to the same as a Ford Fiesta sedan (which gets poor ratings for cargo volume), but the Model 3 is a foot longer. How'd they manage such an inefficient use of space, especially when they cut out so many parts from an ICE vehicle? Our Tesla (of either variety) is replacing a Prius, which has one of the best uses of cargo space out there, and is basically our benchmark. Honestly the Prius is not a "large vehicle" but it's very space efficient. Model 3 is 9 inches longer but has less cargo volume (not to mention the lack of hatch). The Model S is unfortunately 20 inches longer than the Prius, but at least it has more space instead of less!

Not sure where we would have landed had we not found a CPO Model S in the fire sale that was basically the same price as a Model 3 (with predicted upgrade option costs).

Passenger space, passenger headroom, aerodynamics.

More cargo space means sacrifices must be made elsewhere. This isn't a hatchback, and it's not a car that squeezes the passengers either. You can only do so much with a mid-sized sedan given their design priorities.

Yes, surely (hopefully?) the Model 3 must provide good rear seat space. But so does our Prius, with 7.6 ft^3 more cargo volume (that's 54% more!), and 9" less vehicle length.

And smart cars have 78% as much storage space as the Model 3 does and the car is under 9 feet in length.

The hatchback vehicle design does absolute wonders for storage space. It comes with a whole host of drawbacks, though. A sedan version of a Prius would probably have less storage space than a Model 3, and a hatchback version of the Model 3 would probably have more storage space than a Prius.

Check plugshare with a Bolt's range you could charge in Victorville, CA.
Also I live in Indy, there are plenty of charging stations around. Keep in mind superchargers are not everywhere yet either. There are still vast stretches of nothingness. If GM was serious, they'd put charging stations at every dealership.
Indeed, no plans for a cohesive nationwide network of CCS (or CHAdeMO, for that matter) stations makes the Bolt (and others) not a great choice for long distance travel (or even medium distance if you aren't in CA). Here in WI, there are some DCFC for CCS & CHAdeMO, but they are poorly located and most are stupid expensive, not to mention the terrible reliability. Nobody wants to show up to a station and have it not work, and you're stranded -- an extremely rare occurrence on the Supercharger network.

Also, I hate to say it, but putting DCFC stations at dealerships seems easy, but in practicality is kinda terrible. Dealerships have limited hours and minimal amenities. Many seem to limit charging to customers. They block the stations with dealership vehicles (EVs or ICE) and don't care. Nobody wants to have salespeople trying to talk to them while they wait to charge. Locations are in cities rather than between them. Just read any of the Leaf message boards about dealership hosted charging in places like CA & Seattle and you'll see the issues pretty readily.

Such as ?
Please do not include your aesthetic preferences
I can think of a couple of drawbacks with hatchbacks:

structural stiffness, a hatchback would remove one cross member at the back of the car, it may affect handling and roll-over or impact safety

acoustic deadening, in a hatchback the rear wheel well is more exposed to the inside of the car, while in a sedan it's inside the trunk, so a hatchback is potentially noisier.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lunarx
You know what? I've seen the light. I now realize that it's been silly for me to enjoy the practicality of the hatchback on my Volt. Who on Earth buys a consumer vehicle for hauling items? That's why that whole SUV / Crossover / Truck thing never caught on in the first place. It'd be much better to arrange to rent a vehicle whenever I go to Lowes or to a garage sale. On second thought I'll just buy one of those $35k all electric pickup trucks with the giant charging network that's coming out this fall. I forget the name, someone want to post the link for that?

You know what? I've seen the light. I now realize that it's been silly for me to enjoy the practicality of the hatchback on my Volt. Who on Earth buys a consumer vehicle for hauling items? That's why that whole SUV / Crossover / Truck thing never caught on in the first place. It'd be much better to arrange to rent a vehicle whenever I go to Lowes or to a garage sale. On second thought I'll just buy one of those $35k all electric pickup trucks with the giant charging network that's coming out this fall. I forget the name, someone want to post the link for that?
Look, we get it. It's a shame Tesla can't introduce a full line-up of 12 different models overnight. Obviously, there is a variety of car models in the world because different people have different preferences. For some, this is exactly the car they've been waiting for. For others, a different type of car would be a better fit. Hopefully other car makers take notice and start producing some real competition so that more people can find the car that best suits them. I just think it's completely pointless to hem and haw about what kind of car this will be.

Check plugshare with a Bolt's range you could charge in Victorville, CA.
Also I live in Indy, there are plenty of charging stations around. Keep in mind superchargers are not everywhere yet either. There are still vast stretches of nothingness. If GM was serious, they'd put charging stations at every dealership.
You can charge up in Victorville at 14370 Bear Valley Rd and the next closest one in Las Vegas is at 11330 Southern Highlands Pkwy. That's a distance of 179 miles. The Bolt is rated for 238 miles combined EPA at 119 MPGe, but highway MPGe is listed as 110 MPGe, so it has a highway range of 220 miles. If the Bolt was fully topped off at one of the L3 chargers, that would leave 18.6% left when arriving to the next without speeding (the speed limit on that stretch is 70 MPH). That's not accounting for headwind decreasing range nor high A/C usage (the temps on that drive easily get over 115F in the summer), plus the top end of the charge slows down significantly on L3 chargers (and those CCS chargers only have 50 kW of power). In addition, each of those locations only has one CCS charger, so if it's down you're SOL, and if there are multiple Bolt owners doing the drive on the same day it would take forever to wait in line on one charger. Therefore for all reasonable purposes, you cannot currently drive a Bolt from Los Angeles to Las Vegas. And I'm not trying to bash Chevrolet, but the other manufacturers need to step up their game in terms of a reliable nationwide fast charging network.

Also, Model 3 will have just about the best aero of any car ever. Not sure that this would be achievable in a hatch.
Yeah, I've read multiple times that sedans lend themselves to lower Cd. If true then I forgive Tesla ;-)

As a counterpoint though, the Prius Prime is an excellent hatchback (not including the raised battery *cough* *cough*) and has a very respectable Cd of 0.24. Would it be 0.21 as a sedan ?

You can charge up in Victorville at 14370 Bear Valley Rd and the next closest one in Las Vegas is at 11330 Southern Highlands Pkwy. That's a distance of 179 miles. The Bolt is rated for 238 miles combined EPA at 119 MPGe, but highway MPGe is listed as 110 MPGe, so it has a highway range of 220 miles. If the Bolt was fully topped off at one of the L3 chargers, that would leave 18.6% left when arriving to the next without speeding (the speed limit on that stretch is 70 MPH). That's not accounting for headwind decreasing range nor high A/C usage (the temps on that drive easily get over 115F in the summer), plus the top end of the charge slows down significantly on L3 chargers (and those CCS chargers only have 50 kW of power). In addition, each of those locations only has one CCS charger, so if it's down you're SOL, and if there are multiple Bolt owners doing the drive on the same day it would take forever to wait in line on one charger. Therefore for all reasonable purposes, you cannot currently drive a Bolt from Los Angeles to Las Vegas. And I'm not trying to bash Chevrolet, but the other manufacturers need to step up their game in terms of a reliable nationwide fast charging network.
Luckily people have already done that trip in a Bolt it as described verbally in this video (40 sec in):
Comment on the video:
Stopped to charge in Victorville (125 A EVgo) and made it to Las Vegas with range to spare.

No need for hypothesizing :)

(granted, this video was posted in Winter.)

Last edited:
Such as ?

Big one for me is rear headroom. Musk specifically stated that the rear crossbeam for a hatch would have taken away headroom in the back seat.

I don't need anything else. I've had smaller cars where no one wanted to sit in the back seat. Might as well have a two seater.

The car was also made more aerodynamic without the hatch, increasing range.

Such as ?

Range, efficiency, handling, performance, safety.

I've driven a smart car and it had more than enough storage space for me. I don't need to go to home depot and pick up 4x10s every weekend. I don't need to haul paintings around every day. I choose vehicles to transport myself, and sometimes other people.

Something like the Model S is perfectly fine for a hatchback for me, but you can't make the same design work on a smaller car like the Model 3 without other big drawbacks.

The Model Y is on the way for people who like hatchbacks, but personally I don't want to drive a "traditional" hatchback the size of the Model 3. At that point it's pretty much a cross-over.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SageBrush