Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I am really sick of hearing you all cry about trunk / storage space in the 3.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quite the opposite; I keep the back of my cars clear at all times. I need room to put in a bicycle, or suitcases for travel for 4 people, or furniture items to transport, etc...
I'd wager it will fit a bike. Just pop the front tire off first. I would expect it could accommodate everyone's luggage, but I tend to be a light packer, so your needs will vary. As for transporting furniture, might I suggest renting a van or truck? Compact sedans aren't really designed for that purpose.

We all have our issues with the Model 3, largely due to Tesla not telling us anything, to keep their S and X sales going until the last possible minute. But one thing that really irritates me is everyone who is crying, whining, grumbling, wailing, bellyaching, sniveling, bitching, and moaning about the lack or perceived lack of storage space, and the trunk not being big enough.

If storage is really that important for you, get a 15 passenger van or pickup truck. The Model 3 is not for you.

Compact hatchbacks can still be very practical for hauling medium-sized items (especially when compared to a compact sedan with a trunk) and are a great compromise of vehicle size, efficiency, and practicality. For this reason I would personally prefer a hatch design over a trunk, even if that meant sacrificing some spaciousness for back seat passengers.

If me expressing this reasonable, rational preference causes you such pain and angst, then I'm really, truly, very sorry. ;)

Reactions: Lunarx
Meh. For 90% of my driving, I'd rather have good front and back passenger space, which is what we're getting based on the best information. If I need to haul a bunch of stuff for a trip, I'll put on a roof rack and cargo box. If I need to take a bike somewhere, I'll put it on a hitch bike rack (Model 3 is suppose to have one as an option). But, as I said, for 90% of my driving, these things won't be necessary. **shrugs**

Reactions: SpiceWare
Compact hatchbacks can still be very practical for hauling medium-sized items (especially when compared to a compact sedan with a trunk) and are a great compromise of vehicle size, efficiency, and practicality. For this reason I would personally prefer a hatch design over a trunk, even if that meant sacrificing some spaciousness for back seat passengers.
Then a Chevy Bolt is the PERFECT car for you.
Seriously.
You've exactly described it.
It's got a very compact footprint, but a lot of interior space for its size.
Forget about the 3 and get yourself a Bolt.

I'd rather have a damn sexy sports sedan, but that's just me.

We all have our issues with the Model 3, largely due to Tesla not telling us anything, to keep their S and X sales going until the last possible minute. But one thing that really irritates me is everyone who is crying, whining, grumbling, wailing, bellyaching, sniveling, bitching, and moaning about the lack or perceived lack of storage space, and the trunk not being big enough.

If storage is really that important for you, get a 15 passenger van or pickup truck. The Model 3 is not for you.
Who's crying about it? Which threads are you going to about Model 3 trunk space?

Link?

My issue with the Model 3 trunk is the letterbox opening due to the silly easy to place but hard to move glass roof.

Supposedly, the motors on Model 3 are inside the wheelbase to add trunk (and frunk) space. Did Model S suffer so much with its bigger rear motor, then? Seeems roomy enough in the back. Tesla happily kept the maximum range to ~300 miles rather than ~400 miles to give the truck a huge boost in size...right? I clearly don't get it, but hope to understand.

And yes, I'd prefer an estate version, even if it costs me 10-20Wh/km.

Reactions: zmarty

I think that it's the rear opening size that led to complaints, not the space.
People like the accessibility that hatches provide, which improves the utility of the space.

I think that it's the rear opening size that led to complaints, not the space.
People like the accessibility that hatches provide, which improves the utility of the space.
Yep.
This would actually be an argument in favor of FWDoors to give good access from the side for bulky cargo.

I do take comfort though in Elon's statement that the Model 3 can swallow a surfboard since a lot of my Home Improvement cargo is long rather than high or wide.

I'd wager it will fit a bike. Just pop the front tire off first. I would expect it could accommodate everyone's luggage, but I tend to be a light packer, so your needs will vary. As for transporting furniture, might I suggest renting a van or truck? Compact sedans aren't really designed for that purpose.
Sure, Elon's even said it will take a bike. But anyone who regularly puts bikes in cars knows it's WAY easier to put in a hatchback than a trunk opening. Especially my bike with fenders installed: it's nigh impossible to get in a trunk without knocking the car and potentially scratching one or both items.

I shouldn't need to rent a van or truck to move a small piece of furniture. In no way am I suggesting I should be able to get a couch in a Tesla, but a small bookcase or end table is not too much to ask. Again, this is soooo easily solved by a hatchback. Honestly I can't understand why anyone would prefer a sedan with trunk when a same-sized vehicle with a hatch provides so much more utility... and yet, that's clearly what's out on the market (though it is then very interesting that this is literally the first EV sedan on the market!).

Reactions: Cloxxki
Honestly I can't understand why anyone would prefer a sedan with trunk when a same-sized vehicle with a hatch provides so much more utility... and yet, that's clearly what's out on the market (though it is then very interesting that this is literally the first EV sedan on the market!).
It's a matter of taste. Hatchbacks by many are considered ugly. The Model S manages a hatch in a sedan form factor but at the sacrifice of rear passenger headroom and visibility.

If I moved large items that often then I'd wait for a Tesla Truck. In the US, trucks outsell sedans and sedans outsell hatchbacks.

The Chevy Bolt is a hatchback and it has 16.9 Cu Ft. of cargo space, the Model 3 will have 14 Cu Ft. That difference is only the size of a medium sized box. I'm not terribly concerned and will not pick what in my opinion is an uglier car (Bolt) because sometime, if I really need it, I can store an extra medium box.

Last edited: