Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I am so mad! Home delivery cancelled!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taking delivery today and they said it has to be a bank cashiers check
Yes, it needs to be a cash equivalent. Physical would be cashiers check, otherwise wire transfer through Plaid is acceptable and much easier to deal with than a cashiers check. Personal checks that can bounce do not work. This policy has changed in recent years. March 2020 I purchased a model 3 with a personal check at the Fremont Delivery Center.

In your situation, you need to be home when they do the delivery as they will wait around for you to hand them the cashiers check before they release the car. Otherwise there is no way for Tesla to know that you paid with your cashiers check. With Plaid, they can just leave the car and the automated system will grant you app access once you have clicked "pay".

I actually had my home delivery canceled today too, and I live in LA. Something about the freight truck getting delayed in Fremont. I also already paid in full. Offered me a one month hold if I wanted and I took it since I don’t need the car immediately and I want to hear what’s up on April 7th.
If you paid it's legally yours and they can't cancel unless they give you a refund.

I actually don’t even know if I paid. I sent in the Dealer Funding Request from USAA, then they delayed/canceled a day later. USAA is still showing the loan as an application, but that can take a while to switch over. I am paying for insurance on a car I don’t have though, but I don’t want to cancel it in case the loan was processed.

UPDATE: Got a call from Tesla and they said they found a VIN for me but at a delivery center an hour away from me. It's also black interior, but I initially ordered white. Doesn't bother me at this point in time. They adjusted my OA accordingly. Delivery appointment is set for 6 pm tomorrow. Let's hope this sticks.

Been following along - how did it go?

Fingers crossed you’ve got the new car and love it.

Sorry about the initial hold - unfortunately people do make mistakes. They admitted as such, and sounds like they’re doing all they can to make it right. Can’t ask for much more than that.

UPDATE: I took an Uber from Los Angeles to the Irvine Delivery Center. Picked up my brand new 2022 MYP. It has AMD, A/S tires, and the heated wipers. I am coming from a mid-2021 Model Y LR, and I do have to say the build quality is much better. For whatever reason, even with the 21" wheels, the ride quality is better over bumps and uneven pavement. The doors close a bit more solid versus that cheapo hollow sound. Wind noise is still the same. No panel gaps. I did a walkaround this morning and I don't see anything to note for Tesla service to address.

I was surprised too see how busy the Irvine Delivery Center was yesterday. Seriously, it was packed with folks either waiting or asking questions about their new ride. My guess 20+ new vehicle deliveries just in short amount of time I was there, which was 20 minutes (e.g., DMV paperwork). The waiting area is small, but they had free bottle water.

At the end of the day for me, I got a delayed delivery date of less than a week. I even got a follow-up call from the supervisor who was working my case to congratulate me.

UPDATE: I took an Uber from Los Angeles to the Irvine Delivery Center. Picked up my brand new 2022 MYP. It has AMD, A/S tires, and the heated wipers. I am coming from a mid-2021 Model Y LR, and I do have to say the build quality is much better. For whatever reason, even with the 21" wheels, the ride quality is better over bumps and uneven pavement. The doors close a bit more solid versus that cheapo hollow sound. Wind noise is still the same. No panel gaps. I did a walkaround this morning and I don't see anything to note for Tesla service to address.

I was surprised too see how busy the Irvine Delivery Center was yesterday. Seriously, it was packed with folks either waiting or asking questions about their new ride. My guess 20+ new vehicle deliveries just in short amount of time I was there, which was 20 minutes (e.g., DMV paperwork). The waiting area is small, but they had free bottle water.

At the end of the day for me, I got a delayed delivery date of less than a week. I even got a follow-up call from the supervisor who was working my case to congratulate me.

That's awesome, congratulations! Really great recovery on Tesla's part. I'm a pretty forgiving kinda guy -- we all make mistakes -- but it's how we handle them that matters most. Sounds like they did right by you.

I don't think any of us really has a firm grasp on just how darn many cars they're delivering right now. I mean, at a high level, we all know every car they built is sold before it's built, but man ... seeing it like that really puts a finer point on it.

Glad the vehicle is everything it should've been, and that all seems well that ends well.

Enjoy the amazing ride!

Reactions: VQTRVA
7D1747BE-8383-4435-A2AB-030D06F68822.jpeg

Yes, it needs to be a cash equivalent. Physical would be cashiers check, otherwise wire transfer through Plaid is acceptable and much easier to deal with than a cashiers check. Personal checks that can bounce do not work. This policy has changed in recent years. March 2020 I purchased a model 3 with a personal check at the Fremont Delivery Center.

In your situation, you need to be home when they do the delivery as they will wait around for you to hand them the cashiers check before they release the car. Otherwise there is no way for Tesla to know that you paid with your cashiers check. With Plaid, they can just leave the car and the automated system will grant you app access once you have clicked "pay".
I am doing 'forced' home delivery this coming Thursday. Freemont will have 40% of my payment from DCU the day before (ie loan).

They texted me & said no 24 hours inspection period else Ivan go pick it up @ the DC.

QUESTION: I know I can pay via the app but can I do that after they drop the car off? @ my house?

The people I texted with didn't mentioned anything about handing a cashier's check to the drop off driver.

Last edited: