Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I am so mad! Home delivery cancelled!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, transport fee not delivery fee. I think it used to be free from Fremont to Los Angeles but it’s now $500.
It is free if it is a VIN assigned and shipped from the factory. If you get one that has made it to a delivery center then you are on the hook for a delivery fee if it is outside of your local area. Tesla just needs to assign you the next vin from Fremont that hasnt been assigned to someone. EOQ those all go to CA and it can be 3-4 days from VIN assignment to delivery. With 2 days left, you should be able to get something next week at the latest. We had an issue last year ordering a stock car from back east (which they will never ship back even though they will let you order and pay for transport) and ended up getting put first in line for a fresh one from the factory about 3 weeks later (only 4 days once they admitted the car from back east would never be shipped back across the country).

I actually had my home delivery canceled today too, and I live in LA. Something about the freight truck getting delayed in Fremont. I also already paid in full. Offered me a one month hold if I wanted and I took it since I don’t need the car immediately and I want to hear what’s up on April 7th.

• Informative
Reactions: Maric
Other than the states that Tesla isn't allowed to sell in directly, why do people pay in full before physically receiving their cars? That's a lot of money to give before receiving the car.
I think it just depends on method, if you pick up at DC, then you dont have to pay until you are there. But if Carrier Direct, were they drop off your car, you need to pay before they turn over the keys, (really give you app access). Once done you can get into car. Not sure if they will actually deliver if you have not yet submitted payment.

• Informative
Reactions: Maric
I think it just depends on method, if you pick up at DC, then you dont have to pay until you are there. But if Carrier Direct, were they drop off your car, you need to pay before they turn over the keys, (really give you app access). Once done you can get into car. Not sure if they will actually deliver if you have not yet submitted payment.
I guess it might be different if it's a third party carrier delivering, such as an inventory car you purchased being delivered. But if you pick up at a service center or do a home delivery, you can just hand over a cashier's check/money transfer at the time of delivery or pick up. I wouldn't be giving anyone, especially Tesla $60k+ before receiving what I paid for.

I guess it might be different if it's a third party carrier delivering, such as an inventory car you purchased being delivered. But if you pick up at a service center or do a home delivery, you can just hand over a cashier's check/money transfer at the time of delivery or pick up. I wouldn't be giving anyone, especially Tesla $60k+ before receiving what I paid for.
Yes to both. Or so I have read. Someone posted yesterday that he had a 4 hr home delivery appointment, and when he asked about giving cashiers check, window was narrowed to 2. Same with Dc pickup, you don’t have to pay before inspection of car, but sometimes they do not unlock for you.

Yes to both. Or so I have read. Someone posted yesterday that he had a 4 hr home delivery appointment, and when he asked about giving cashiers check, window was narrowed to 2. Same with Dc pickup, you don’t have to pay before inspection of car, but sometimes they do not unlock for you.
Would you rather have a locked car in front of you that you haven't paid for yet or an invisible car that you already paid for? :)

Other than the states that Tesla isn't allowed to sell in directly, why do people pay in full before physically receiving their cars? That's a lot of money to give before receiving the car.

For home delivery I didn’t have a choice. They assigned me a VIN, scheduled delivery, and then asked me to pay.
Then the freight got delayed and they put me on hold, presumably so they can deliver my car to someone near Fremont.

For home delivery I didn’t have a choice. They assigned me a VIN, scheduled delivery, and then asked me to pay.
Then the freight got delayed and they put me on hold, presumably so they can deliver my car to someone near Fremont.
You always have a choice, especially if it's a home delivery by Tesla. They will tell you that you need to pay ahead of time, that doesn't mean you actually have to.

Reactions: Moopwomp
I had this happen this week too. I got a call the day before my scheduled delivery saying that they were waiting on a truck in Fremont (I’m in Oregon). The next day my VIN was unassigned and my MVPA was gone. SA confirmed that they sold my car to someone else because it couldn’t be delivered “on time” aka by the end of the quarter.

My estimated delivery date is now 4/4-4/7. I had to return my loan check to the bank, close the loan account, pay a few days interest, and reapply at a, now higher, loan rate.

I had this happen this week too. I got a call the day before my scheduled delivery saying that they were waiting on a truck in Fremont (I’m in Oregon). The next day my VIN was unassigned and my MVPA was gone. SA confirmed that they sold my car to someone else because it couldn’t be delivered “on time” aka by the end of the quarter.

My estimated delivery date is now 4/4-4/7. I had to return my loan check to the bank, close the loan account, pay a few days interest, and reapply at a, now higher, loan rate.
wow. At least you got an honest explanation - "Our end-of-quarter goals are more important than our commitment to you"

Reactions: kavyboy
wow. At least you got an honest explanation - "Our end-of-quarter goals are more important than our commitment to you"
Haha well she said “wouldn’t be there ‘in time’, but i extrapolated that to mean ‘by the 31st’”.
The delivery center called me and said he was trying to get here by the 31st, but that it might be 4/4. He basically implied that it would be this same vin, just later. The frustrating thing is that they are so busy their individual customers have no leverage.

So, how is it different that at a DC? In both cases you walk up to a car that is locked if you haven’t paid. You need to pay to unlock. Exactly the same. The car doesn’t care where it is when you pay. Just that up you have to pay before unlocking.

#1 - it is good you are here looking for advice/complaining

But…#2, it is bad that you didn’t come here before you ordered/paid and read all of the guides on what to do. The most important thing, is do not pay until you see the car. Even if it’s a loan, do not sign the paperwork until you physically see the car. They legally have to accept cash (cashiers check) so the safest way to do this is in person. They can’t require you to pay before delivery. No matter how many texts or emails or app notifications you get, it’s not legal to require payment ahead of time. Really, it’s not. Don’t be a 🐑 and be pressured into paying ahead of time. It won’t delay your delivery if you don’t click pay now.

Reactions: VQTRVA
So, how is it different that at a DC? In both cases you walk up to a car that is locked if you haven’t paid. You need to pay to unlock. Exactly the same. The car doesn’t care where it is when you pay. Just that up you have to pay before unlocking.

#1 - it is good you are here looking for advice/complaining

But…#2, it is bad that you didn’t come here before you ordered/paid and read all of the guides on what to do. The most important thing, is do not pay until you see the car. Even if it’s a loan, do not sign the paperwork until you physically see the car. They legally have to accept cash (cashiers check) so the safest way to do this is in person. They can’t require you to pay before delivery. No matter how many texts or emails or app notifications you get, it’s not legal to require payment ahead of time. Really, it’s not. Don’t be a 🐑 and be pressured into paying ahead of time. It won’t delay your delivery if you don’t click pay now.
Good thing I’m in the forums. Definitely will not pay until I see and can inspect the car even if it’s just the outside. Can you do personal checks or does it have to be cashiers check?