TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

I am sold on a HEPA filter for my Tesla purchase

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by EcoHeliGuy, May 4, 2016.

1. EcoHeliGuy

EcoHeliGuy Member

While watching the videos out of the Fort McMurray evacuations, I'm pretty much sold on a HEPA filter in my next Tesla purchase.

• Like x 1
  2. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

Here's to hoping they offer it with the Model 3. Elon was talking about health benefits on twitter. I hope the 99 percenters can get health benefits too.

• Like x 1
  3. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

The smoke from the fire blew into the city here this afternoon.

4. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Also, with bioweapon mode enabled, I found out last night at Bellevue, you can run the fan at any speed, not just 8. Although 8 is required to create a positive pressure environment that ensures no particles will enter the vehicle.

• Like x 1
  5. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

I was pretty sure we had a tweet promising it would be an option, but I could be confused.

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

A cheaper, and not the same, version is in my Toyota Prius. Pushing a particular button
    • sets the fan to high
    • puts the system in re-circulation mode
    Then the cabin air is pushed through the cabin filter. Paired with a carbon filter it cleans up smells really well. A couple of times I have entered the noxious cloud of road repaving. The filtration system removes the stink (even to my sensitive nose) in about 15 seconds even while still in the cloud.

I am no expert, but I tend to think of HEPA and carbon filters as somewhat complementary. HEPA is a size trap, while carbon acts as a charge attractant. Knowing Tesla, their expensive system has both, and more ;-)

• Informative x 1
  7. ZAKEEUS

ZAKEEUS Member

Does anyone know if this would lessen the smell of dead skunks on the side of the road when you pass by them? If it does, I'm sold.

• Like x 1
  8. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

I don't have first hand experience, but from everything I've read, I'd think you won't smell them at all. Have a look at Bjorn's US road trip part one here, around the 1:07:00 mark:

• Informative x 1
  9. TwoM3's

TwoM3's Member

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  10. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Has anyone heard what the price of the replacement filters are? I have a some IQ Air cleaners and they cost $200 to $500 each for each change, which is about every four months if you use the LED indicator as a guide to replacement.

11. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

The shorter version:

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  12. colettimj

colettimj Member

#12 colettimj, May 7, 2016
    Last edited: May 7, 2016
    If I had to choose between the ludicrous option or bio-weapon defense mode due to costs, I would almost certainly pick bio-weapon. 50% of my daily commute is spent around diesel-exhaust belching 18-wheelers. Anything that can pull particulate pollution out of my air is worth more than an improved 0-60 time.

• Like x 3