TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

I am speechless: Koch Corporate Overview video includes ... Tesla Model S

Discussion in 'Video' started by vgrinshpun, Apr 23, 2015.

1. vgrinshpun

vgrinshpun Active Member

2. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

OK - kudos to you for your, umm, due diligence. Inquiring minds want to know, however, what on earth possessed you to watch this?!?!?!?!?

BTW, if you have any desire to step on a hornets' nest, bring up the topic Koch/Flint Hills Refinery in the suburb of Fairbanks Alaska called North Pole (really). The refinery there has poisoned close to one-third of the town's house's wells (most homes have their own wellwater) with sulfolane, and....oh, it's a royal mess. So Koch has decided simply to close the refinery.

3. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

Bizarre...

4. vgrinshpun

vgrinshpun Active Member

Easy... This is border line personal attack...:smile:

5. 32no

32no Member

Woah...

Had to do some research after watching that one. Apparently, Koch Industries subsidiary Invsita makes nylon for airbags, they claim to be in over 1 billion airbags. I wonder if Tesla's airbags actually use this nylon or not. It would be really interesting if Tesla didn't use their airbags, yet Koch used them in the video anyway (why did they use a Tesla when anything else would suffice?).

6. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Koch Industries makes fiber for airbag material. Interesting though that the Tesla logo was removed from what is clearly a Model S.

7. vgrinshpun

vgrinshpun Active Member

Interesting, they did not remove logo from a Chevy shown earlier in the video... (0:42)

8. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Wonder if the logo just wasn't there for the airbag test shown in the video.

If have an interesting semi-personal connection to Koch Industries. My cousin and her husband live in Wichita, KS. Her husband is a former Air Force pilot (used to fly F-4s in Vietnam, and also flew Air Force Two for awhile--he has a picture flying Bush Sr. around when he was VP). Anywho, he has long since retired from the Air Force and is now...wait for it...the corporate pilot for the Koch brothers themselves. I've been to the Koch Industries HQ hanger and walked on the Koch Brothers' jet.

Don't worry, I showered thoroughly afterward.

9. James Anders

James Anders Member

Can this please not turn into a bash the Koch Industries thread?

10. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

11. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

It hasn't turned into one. It always was one right from the title to this thread. If you don't like, and want to start a thread about not being surprised about Tesla being associated with these climate change deniers, "citizens united" and big oil supporters, then please do so. It won't make any sense though.