Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I am sure you did it too.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the owner of Model 3 quite often I forget my phone in my car parked outside.
In this case, you are basically offering your Tesla along with your phone to anyone who wants it for free.

I am sure someone found a solution to avoid this situation.
Sure I understand that the easiest way not to have this problem is simply to take your phone with you.
Yeah, I get it. :)

Is there any way when you are ready to leave your car to have some kind of reminder from your phone (or your car)?

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Last edited:
In this case, you are basically offering your Tesla along with your phone to anyone who wants it for free.

I am sure someone found a solution to avoid this situation.
Sure I understand that the easiest way not to have this problem is simply to take your phone with you.
I get it. :)

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

ASK Tesla to change the software: when leaving the car with a fob( model S/X) or a phone in the car that the car uses a short horn signal t warn you.

Yup, I've done this before. Usually not me forgetting my phone, but my SO forgetting hers when she leaves it in the dock wireless charging. I've just started waiting to hear the honk as we walk away now.

FYI @Superendo , a short horn beep could be mistaken for the locked car notification... not sure if that's the correct avenue unless it';s a different tone/pattern.

Yup, I've done this before. Usually not me forgetting my phone, but my SO forgetting hers when she leaves it in the dock wireless charging. I've just started waiting to hear the honk as we walk away now.

FYI @Superendo , a short horn beep could be mistaken for the locked car notification... not sure if that's the correct avenue unless it';s a different tone/pattern.

Yeah, I have this honk option too, but if you are talking to someone or distracted some other way you may not remember if you heard this sound or not. Would be nice to have some sort of reminder at the moment you leave your car.

Any suggestions?
  1. Any specific reason, to take the phone out of your pocket? Unless you have a tablet sized phone :)
  2. Enable the honk on lock. That way you will hear the car lock as you walk away.
  3. Post pictures of the car on social media every day. That way you will check for "likes and comments" all the time on your phone, thereby you will never be away from your phone ;)
I can't help but wonder why one would forget to lock. When I drive a ICE car, I need to remember 5 things. Put the car in park, apply hand brake, turn off ignition, remove the key, and then lock the car. Here I only need to remember taking the phone/my stuff. I have never left my phone in the car. My wife often does, but she uses the phone so much that she ends up going back to the car immediately.

But then, I also don't understand how some people showup to work without their Identification badge (once a week). :p I am a forgetful person with most things (birthdays, anniversaries, names etc). But, I have rituals while walking in/out the door - where I check for a set of things.

PS: Sorry, the post is not that helpful, nor does it have any useful suggestions. :D

LOL...yes I am also guilty of the senior moment when I've left my phone in the car charger.

One simple solution I've been practicing lately is to keep my phone in my pocket while driving. Another advantage to this method is less temptation to use your phone while driving - other than hands-free operations.

Reactions: RealDeael
  1. Any specific reason, to take the phone out of your pocket? Unless you have a tablet sized phone :)
  2. Enable the honk on lock. That way you will hear the car lock as you walk away.
  3. Post pictures of the car on social media every day. That way you will check for "likes and comments" all the time on your phone, thereby you will never be away from your phone ;)
I can't help but wonder why one would forget to lock. When I drive a ICE car, I need to remember 5 things. Put the car in park, apply hand brake, turn off ignition, remove the key, and then lock the car. Here I only need to remember taking the phone/my stuff. I have never left my phone in the car. My wife often does, but she uses the phone so much that she ends up going back to the car immediately.

But then, I also don't understand how some people showup to work without their Identification badge (once a week). :p I am a forgetful person with most things (birthdays, anniversaries, names etc). But, I have rituals while walking in/out the door - where I check for a set of things.

PS: Sorry, the post is not that helpful, nor does it have any useful suggestions. :D

So, you mean you never, ever charge your phone in your car? :)
That is usually the reason people forget their device in the car.

I already responded to some other person about the honk option enabled in my car.
Check it out above.
Still, you are right about everything else.

GM Vehicles have a triple horn beep when you exit the car and leave keys in it. It's a very quick stacatto burst that takes maybe half a second. Very recognizable.

GM Vehicles have a triple horn beep when you exit the car and leave keys in it. It's a very quick stacatto burst that takes maybe half a second. Very recognizable.

This is what Tesla should do too.
Once you closed the door from outside, your Tesla knows right away that you have left your phone inside.
Why not signal it to the owner who still very close to the car?

This is what Tesla should do too.
Once you closed the door from outside, your Tesla knows right away that you have left your phone inside.
Why not signal it to the owner who still very close to the car?

Would be a good idea.

My VW GTI always displays on the infotainment screen "please remember your cell phone" every time you shut the car off. Obviously not the same with the Tesla.

I already responded to some other person about the honk option enabled in my car.
I only charge my phone if I'm on a long road trip. Then I'm always sure I remove it when getting ready to Supercharge.

If it's a short trip and I'm the driver, the phone stays in my pocket.

I hate "honk confirmation" on cars and am glad that option is configurable.

True, that may explain it to some extent. In my case, I don't charge my phone in the car on a daily basis as I have a very short commute. Also, I have a habit developed by using phones of yesteryears that needed to be charged 100% for extended battery life. I always charge overnight so that I have 100% battery in the morning.

I do charge the phone in the car while on really long drives, I guess I could forget it then. :)