Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I am trying to replace the SIMcard of my tesla model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding and experience, even if you replace the sim, you still have to get Tesla to unlock it to enable the new sim.

If i am wrong and someone knows how to get a different sim to work. Please let me know, it would help out a ton of military members overseas.

• Disagree
Reactions: kpeng
Your car won't wake from sleep via the app if you change the SIM. A text is sent to the car to wake it. Your cell operator would also have to allow you to use any APN as you wouldn't be able to change the default which is Tesla's ATT APN.

AFAIK all other features would still work.

The MCU/APU on the 3 is liquid cooled so you'd have to try to do it without removing the car computer. The link posted here should point you in the right direction. You'd have to remove the connectivity board first then try to get to the SIM. Disconnect the 12v and HV power first if you try this.

Reactions: void walker
Your car won't wake from sleep via the app if you change the SIM. A text is sent to the car to wake it. Your cell operator would also have to allow you to use any APN as you wouldn't be able to change the default which is Tesla's ATT APN.

AFAIK all other features would still work.

The MCU/APU on the 3 is liquid cooled so you'd have to try to do it without removing the car computer. The link posted here should point you in the right direction. You'd have to remove the connectivity board first then try to get to the SIM. Disconnect the 12v and HV power first if you try this.

Sim is out of my car and I'm able to connect and wake the car from the app when it's on wifi. When driving, I put the car in hold before departing and reactivate wifi so I can still stream.

• Disagree
Reactions: afadeev and kpeng
in HW3.0 it's assumed to have changed to simless form.

There is no such thing as "SIMless form".
All wireless devices are authenticated for valid subscription profile based off credentials stored in a SIM/UICC.
SIMs can be physical (piece of plastic with a chip), or virtual (code download over the air via eUICC). The latter could also be updated/re-downloaded.

thank you for your help. my primary purpose is to disconnect the internet by unplugging the LTE antenna or removing SIMcard.

Why?
Feeling paranoid?

the second is to use the switch only when I need the Internet.

That would be every time you drive (navigation, radio streaming, etc)?
:eek:

I'm willing to wager that a "Tesla SIM" is validated in order to provide you with Tesla services.

There is no such thing as "Tesla SIM".
However, if AT&T had configured Tesla's enterprise services to run on a Private Network APN, those would not work with any other off-the-shelf SIM (AT&T's, Verizon's, or T-Mo's).
Infotainment services, however, would like continue to work, as those are routed over the Internet APN.

HTH

Ahh I missed that in the OP.

seems like a good way to steal a tesla and disable its location services....

That was my thought after I realized what was actually being asked. I don't see why else you'd want to do this. If you're that concerned about being tracked, the most connected car on the road may be the wrong choice. You also have multiple bluetooth radios emitting signals, etc...