TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

I bit the bullet and bought a .... Volt.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Phillip L, Dec 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Phillip L

Phillip L Gas Passer

i own a Model S and I love, I mean LOVE the car but for our second vehicle to replace our "ice" car I went for the Volt, despite having put down the deposit on the Model III.
    Why?
    1) After seeing how poor Tesla is about getting things done in the time frame they state I have really huge doubts about being able to get the Model III in a reasonable time frame, say within two years in this Country. Realistically given "Tesla time" it will probably be 4 years or more. I have watched the Supercharger buildout, or I should say, the glacial pace of the buildout in frustration. I don't want to keep our "ice" for another 3 or 4 years.
    2) By the time the Model III is available to me the Ontario incentive program will likely be gone, either because the limit will have been reached or the current government will have been replaced and the program canceled.
    3) The Volt is a pretty decent car at a price probably a lot less than the Model III once the same extras that I ordered on the Volt are priced in.
    4) with about 80 km electric range I anticipate that we will use it almost exclusively in pure electric mode. So for all intents and purposes it is essentially replacing an "ice" with an ev. Longer trips will be Model S trips as they are now.

• Like x 12
  2. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

One fewer ice spewing emissions into the atmosphere is a good thing! Congrats on making a good choice now with what's available. Will be very terested to hear how a model s driver compares real world experiences with the Bolt. Keep us posted please.

• Like x 4
  3. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

Please note that he stated the V-olt and not the B-olt.

I have a Model X and two V-olts in our household. 2011 Gen 1 Volt and a 2016 Gen 2 Volt. Both have been excellent.

My Model X is going in for services (yet again) tomorrow. Argh. I need to visit my son this weekend to help with house issues.
    Hopefully my X is back in time otherwise I'm taking one of the V-olts ... which have been incredibly reliable with high quality builds.

P.S. Even with various X problems, I still love driving it and especially auto-pilot/steer.

• Like x 3
  4. Gen3

Gen3 Member

I think its a good decision, especially with ontario rebates. Congrats on the purchase. I'm in Saskatchewan, so the lack of incentive makes it hard to justify here, when I really need AWD for half the year.

5. Bryantclan

Bryantclan Member

Having just traded in my volt and our fusion plugin for a S and an X.

Keep one thing in mind about the volt, if it is below 35F it runs the engine regardless of state of charge. I found in the winter I was barely able to get mid 70s MPG even driving under 40 miles a day.

• Informative x 3
  6. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

Just curious why you didn't wait another month or two to have the Bolt as an option?

• Like x 1
  7. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Well-Known Member

Who you trying to convince? Us or yourself? ;)

Congrats on going fully electric (or at least planning on not using gas in that Volt). It's all good and all those people behind you in the Model 3 line just moved up a spot. I'm sure they thank you for that. Win-win.

• Funny x 1
  8. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

Ontario is going to get the Bolt in a month or two...?

That's news to me.

• Funny x 1
  9. jsmay311

jsmay311 Member

1. There's a setting for this. You can change it from 35F down to 15F. That's what I do.

2. In 2013-and-later models, when the engine does turn on due to cold temps, it runs at low rpm until it has warmed up the engine coolant sufficiently to provide heat for the cabin. Then it cycles off and on as needed to maintain heat.
    The only point here is that most of the propulsion power is still coming from the battery.

• Informative x 6
    • Like x 2
  10. Phillip L

Phillip L Gas Passer

Thanks for the tip. Will define do that.

11. Phillip L

Phillip L Gas Passer

A little of A and a little of B.
    My frustration with Tesla is their totally unreliable projections of their timelines. One just cannot reasonably plan around them.

[/QUOTE] Congrats on going fully electric (or at least planning on not using gas in that Volt). It's all good and all those people behind you in the Model 3 line just moved up a spot. I'm sure they thank you for that. Win-win.[/QUOTE]

Glad to help. But I put my money down the morning following the announcement so probably won't help many.

12. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

Early 2017 unless that's changed...

13. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Well-Known Member

I find the Tesla timelines very reliable; as in it doesn't happen on the day they say/hope it will. ;) I'm in the queue for a Model 3 and my current vehicle may not last, this I know. I'm prepared to buy a beater or lease something should my current vehicle not make it to Model 3 day - that's how I'm dealing with it, therefore no frustration.

• Funny x 1
  14. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Congrats. Volts have shown themselves to be solid, reliable cars. Not quite as fast or fancy or integrated as the three will be, but sturdy and cheap to run.

• Like x 2
  15. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

Early 2016 could mean 4.5 months from now...

When was the Volt introduced this year? We didn't see Volts, in MN, until late March...and that was only a handful.

16. Blackout

Blackout Member

Keep your reservation in, and Sell the model 3 when it finally gets to you...Or by that time you might be soo excited that you might sell your volt instead ...

But wtv you do don't cancel your reservation...and when you get to confirm your purchase of the model 3, go with it...You will have no problem selling it to Tesla back or to anyone else on your own to make a small profit...even without the incentive...

I'm in Ontario too, and I can assure you it will not take 4 years before the car gets here...I'm not sure when you reserved but for me I'm getting in sometimes in 2018 (reserved on the first day) and everything seems to be pointing that they are on schedule to meet this delivery...The 2nd Reveal is happening in April, they will be releasing more details and options, soon after that confirmation will go through and production in august 2017 in the west...So Until Tesla confirms a delay in production i wouldn't worry about it too much...

17. Blackout

Blackout Member

Nice Plane there Pilot Steeve, Which one is it? Do you fly that ?

18. McRat

McRat Active Member

The 2017 was actually a 2016.5 by the normal auto calendar. The ACC, Android Auto, and other electronic countermeasures were not finished when the 2016 was released, which was a short run.

The 2017 when loaded is pretty slick. The AEB is pretty trick and well engineered. It is solidly quicker and more responsive than all but the BMW i3, but it doesn't cost as much. And the difference between the two in acceleration isn't a lot. The Volt hits 30mph first, the i3 hits 60mph first, and the Volt hits 100 first.

• Informative x 1
  19. Bryantclan

Bryantclan Member

Mine was 2014, never found that setting and was told by the dealer that it could not be changed. Wish I still had it to look.

For me it was a killer, since most of my drive is in stop and go traffic (17 miles can take an hour) and the idleing engine meant I was putting gas in every other week which was very very annoying.

20. RAM_Eh

RAM_Eh Member

Just wasted 4:27of my life!

• Like x 1