Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I Brought Two Model 3's to VIR - New PB of 2:08.49!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the weekend of June 6th and 7th, I took my Model 3 and my wife’s Model 3 to Virginia International Raceway. It may seem silly to bring two Model 3’s, but I had already missed two events due to the pandemic, and I wanted to make sure I got the most time possible out of this event. VIR had a Chademo that worked great for me last year, but it has been broken for 9 months now, and they are not planning to fix it. So, I resort to using 50-Amp outlets and drawing hundreds of kW’s out of them over the course of the weekend!

This was kind of a last-minute decision; fortunately, MPP was able to help me get the parts needed quickly for my wife’s car to make it track-ready, and installation was a breeze. The relevant modifications of each car are listed below.

Black P3D+:

Suspension

MCS Model 3 Coilovers

MPP Rear Toe Arms

SPL Rear Camber Arms

SPL Rear Trailing Arms

MPP Front Upper Control Arms

MPP Front Lower Control Arm Bushings

MPP Rear Traction Arms

Unplugged Front Adjustable Sway Bar

Unplugged Rear Adjustable Sway Bar

Whiteline Front Adjustable Sway Bar End Links

Whiteline Rear Adjustable Sway Bar End Links

Brakes

AP Racing Front 9660/372mm BBK w/ Ferodo DS3.12 Front Brake Pads

MPP Page Mill P3D+ Rear Rotors w/ RB XT970 Pads

MPP Stainless Steel Brake Lines

RBF600 Brake Fluid

Wheels/Tires

18x9.5" ET35 APEX EC-7 Tesla Wheel Black

Hankook Ventus RS4 275/40/18

Exterior

Unplugged Front Lip Spoiler

Red P3D+:

Suspension

MPP Comfort Coilovers AWD

MPP Model 3 Rear Camber Arms

Brakes

Carbotech RP2 Front Brake Pads

Carbotech RP2 Rear Brake Pads

RBF600 Brake Fluid

Wheels/Tires

Konig Oversteer 19x9.5" Wheels

Federal 275/35/19 Tires

Exterior

Unplugged High Efficiency Trunk Spoiler

So, let’s get right down to it. How did each car fair on track?

Black P3D+: 2:08.49

Red P3D+: 2:09.60

I was able to shave 2 seconds off my PB! While there is more to this story, it is impressive how well the relatively stock Model 3 held up to my heavily modified one. Here are my impressions.

Everyone rave’s about how great the Hankook Ventus R-S4’s is. I have to say, I don’t think the Model 3 is the right application for this tire. In fact, I found the cheapo Federal 595RS-PRO’s to be a lot more confidence inspiring. Sounds crazy, right? Well, the Hankook’s take a whole lap or two longer to get up to temperature. With the Model 3 being driven like a Time Attack car, you basically have ¾ of a lap to warm up and then you have 2, maybe 3 laps (at least at a long track like VIR) to set your fast lap. The Federal’s on the Red 3 were ready to rock and roll coming into T1 on my first hot lap. The Hankook’s were considerably less happy about this situation, and I never really felt comfortable with them like I did with the Federal’s. Having run both, and the Nexen N FERA SUR4G’s before, I can say with confidence that I prefer the Federal’s by a long shot. I honestly did not expect that.

Let’s talk suspension. The MCS are touted in the Time Attack and Racing community as some of the best coilovers money can buy. They had one noticeable advantage over the MPP Coils – driving over the rumble strips on the back esses did not upset the car at all. However, even with the supporting suspension modifications, they really were only slightly faster through every other corner. This surprised me. Given the disadvantages of the MCS setup (harsh on the street, noisy, expensive), I was really impressed with how smooth and fast the MPP Comfort’s were. I had to take a slightly different line through the back esses, but it didn’t result in much of a time difference. I’ve slowly been coming to the realization that MPP is hands-down the best aftermarket option for Tesla’s, and this just solidified that belief. Wow!

Let’s move on to the brakes. Was dumping a bunch of cash into a BBK worth it? While the Carbotech’s on my wife’s 3 did their job, they did not inspire confidence. I had brake fade on several occasions, usually while coming in to Turn 1, and the pedal was mushy and inconsistent. On the other hand, the AP BBK was incredibly consistent, did not fade at all, and the brakes were instantly available, every single time. I’ve written a more in-depth review on another thread, but in short it was a big upgrade and worth the money.

I was pacing for a 2:07.3 (per the AIM data) during my last session driving my Model 3. Unfortunately, I blew Turn 11 and the lap that I wanted was not to be. There’s always next time!

I did have one minor issue during the weekend. I roasted the right front wheel speed sensor on my wife's car from rubbing up against the tire. Fortunately, some wiring pins, solder, and electrical tape solved the problem.

Overall, it is impressive how fast a Model 3 can be with relatively simple modifications. I’ve previously stated that Tires and Wheels, Camber Arms (F+R), Pads, and Brake Fluid were the basics for getting on track and running fast laps without fear of destroying the tires or brakes. I think the performance my wife’s car put on at VIR reinforces that theory. To put things into perspective, here are lap times from the forums I used to hang out on for F80/F82 M3’s and M4’s.

VIR Full Course

2:05.664 poor-sha M3 6MT (Pirelli DH, DS 1.11 pads, Dinan)

2:06.6x lutfy M3 6MT (RE71R, RS29)

2:08:60 wigaster F80 6MT (NT01, rs29, ohlins R/T)

2:10.88 adc 2015 M3 6MT (NT01, Pagid Yellow)

2:12.20 Reach M3 (RE-11, RS29)

2:12.31 kitesurfer M4 (RS3, RS29, JRZ)

2:12.99 jbaslins M3 (RA1, Carbotech XP12/10)

2:15.90 JMon F8X (RS29)

Not too shabby given the BMW has much better top end for the long straights at VIR (and costs a pretty penny more).

The one thing I will admit I miss is the ability to go out for a half-hour and run with consistent power. It makes it quite a bit easier to set fast laps as you can really refine your line, braking points, and of course the more track time you have the better you will get. That being said, I am certainly not unhappy with the Model 3. I am getting solid 15 minute sessions with good power. It’s a compromise, but the Model 3 is quite good and a lot of fun to drive. Fuel and maintenance are much cheaper too!

In regard to tire and pad wear, I am seeing great results at this point. Front brakes on the AP kit should last for 14 days, rear pads are pacing for almost 20 days, and tires should fall somewhere around 15. That means the yearly running costs for the car are pretty low assuming you do roughly 15 days a year (a set of pads, brake fluid, and tires is ~$1,200).

I’m heading up to Lime Rock Park in Connecticut in a few weeks in my Model 3. Hoping to break that 1:00 barrier! Finally, a huge shout out to the team at MPP. They really went out of their way to help make my crazy idea a reality. Their parts shipped out quick, their communication was impeccable, and I have found that their products are simply the best on the market. Many kudos from me!

Video:

Black Model 3:

Red Model 3:

Pics:

IMG_20200606_081447.jpg

IMG_20200607_192525.jpg

IMG_20200607_192900.jpg

IMG_20200606_142720.jpg

IMG_20200607_192939.jpg

IMG_20200607_192954.jpg

Great review. Thanks a lot.

I feel wrong ordering same food at restaurant as my girlfriend, you got 2 same cars, lol.

Did you forget to mention brake ducts and diffuser on black one?

Btw, after I destroyed and soldered back speed sensor I found myself that it got broken again 3 months later - during parking turns it pulls cable and eventually breaks it again. Luckily I got 2 spares and changed it before going to office in the morning once I saw that error list again.

Great review. Thanks a lot.

I feel wrong ordering same food at restaurant as my girlfriend, you got 2 same cars, lol.

Did you forget to mention brake ducts and diffuser on black one?

Btw, after I destroyed and soldered back speed sensor I found myself that it got broken again 3 months later - during parking turns it pulls cable and eventually breaks it again. Luckily I got 2 spares and changed it before going to office in the morning once I saw that error list again.

Well one is Red and one is Black, lol!

I actually have my custom diffusers on both of them! I doubt they actually do anything functional, though. I had the brake ducts on the black one capped off per AP's recommendation.

I ordered two replacements, don't want a cheap part to ruin a track day!

I have a feeling that rear downforce is not good. Lowering doesn't help much. Weight balancing pushes rear higher, but it still becomes tail happier with speed. So I'm thinking longer rear spoiler and some diffuser that substitutes rear undertray.

Do you feel that red has more perceivable downforce at high speed with that spoiler?

I have a feeling that rear downforce is not good. Lowering doesn't help much. Weight balancing pushes rear higher, but it still becomes tail happier with speed. So I'm thinking longer rear spoiler and some diffuser that substitutes rear undertray.

Do you feel that red has more perceivable downforce at high speed with that spoiler?

Looking at the data, I was carrying very similar speed through the back esses despite having to take a slight variation (less straight, longer) in the line to account for the rumble strips. Hard to make a conclusion, but I guess that insinuates that the downforce was higher on the Red 3. I will say it looks nice, and it is considerably larger than the stock spoiler.

Very surprised on the MCS vs MPP. The NVH is a serious annoyance for a daily, but the MCS performance in canyons is out of this world.

What settings did you have on your MCS? They are the 1WNR or 2WNR?

1WNR. Running 12F/9R settings. I was surprised as well!!

Fantastic comparison! Gotta say I've never considered the Federal tires, but may when my RS4s wear out.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting much but they are wearing well and the grip is almost immediate and consistent.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mash
This thread makes me want to go back to the track. I did an HPDE at VIR in my e36 M3 back in 2006. Thanks for the videos and details OP. Pretty encouraging to see how the red P3D performed with MPP comforts and upgraded pads. Do you think the master cylinder brace would help brake feel on your wife's car?

I was actually planning a track day there in August!
Looks like it’s more like 10 minutes - let us know how it goes.

This thread makes me want to go back to the track. I did an HPDE at VIR in my e36 M3 back in 2006. Thanks for the videos and details OP. Pretty encouraging to see how the red P3D performed with MPP comforts and upgraded pads. Do you think the master cylinder brace would help brake feel on your wife's car?
I’d put money on the brace making the biggest improvement in feel vs. all other available brake upgrades combined.

Feel is one thing, functionality is another. Anyone serious about tracking their car needs at least a pad upgrade. The stock pads are worthless on the track, whether you have a brace or not.

Agree. Neither of OP’s cars were using stock pads. Was specifically referring to whether the brace might address this:

While the Carbotech’s on my wife’s 3 did their job, they did not inspire confidence. I had brake fade on several occasions, usually while coming in to Turn 1, and the pedal was mushy and inconsistent.

For the weekend of June 6th and 7th, I took my Model 3 and my wife’s Model 3 to Virginia International Raceway. It may seem silly to bring two Model 3’s, but I had already missed two events due to the pandemic, and I wanted to make sure I got the most time possible out of this event. VIR had a Chademo that worked great for me last year, but it has been broken for 9 months now, and they are not planning to fix it. So, I resort to using 50-Amp outlets and drawing hundreds of kW’s out of them over the course of the weekend!

This was kind of a last-minute decision; fortunately, MPP was able to help me get the parts needed quickly for my wife’s car to make it track-ready, and installation was a breeze. The relevant modifications of each car are listed below.

Black P3D+:

Suspension

MCS Model 3 Coilovers

MPP Rear Toe Arms

SPL Rear Camber Arms

SPL Rear Trailing Arms

MPP Front Lower Control Arm Bushings

MPP Rear Traction Arms

Unplugged Front Adjustable Sway Bar

Unplugged Rear Adjustable Sway Bar

Whiteline Front Adjustable Sway Bar End Links

Whiteline Rear Adjustable Sway Bar End Links

Brakes

AP Racing Front 9660/372mm BBK w/ Ferodo DS3.12 Front Brake Pads

MPP Page Mill P3D+ Rear Rotors w/ RB XT970 Pads

MPP Stainless Steel Brake Lines

RBF600 Brake Fluid

Wheels/Tires

18x9.5" ET35 APEX EC-7 Tesla Wheel Black

Hankook Ventus RS4 275/40/18

Exterior

Red P3D+:

Suspension

MPP Comfort Coilovers AWD

MPP Model 3 Rear Camber Arms

Brakes

Carbotech RP2 Front Brake Pads

Carbotech RP2 Rear Brake Pads

RBF600 Brake Fluid

Wheels/Tires

Konig Oversteer 19x9.5" Wheels

Federal 275/35/19 Tires

Exterior

Unplugged High Efficiency Trunk Spoiler

So, let’s get right down to it. How did each car fair on track?

Black P3D+: 2:08.49

Red P3D+: 2:09.60

I was able to shave 2 seconds off my PB! While there is more to this story, it is impressive how well the relatively stock Model 3 held up to my heavily modified one. Here are my impressions.

Everyone rave’s about how great the Hankook Ventus R-S4’s is. I have to say, I don’t think the Model 3 is the right application for this tire. In fact, I found the cheapo Federal 595RS-PRO’s to be a lot more confidence inspiring. Sounds crazy, right? Well, the Hankook’s take a whole lap or two longer to get up to temperature. With the Model 3 being driven like a Time Attack car, you basically have ¾ of a lap to warm up and then you have 2, maybe 3 laps (at least at a long track like VIR) to set your fast lap. The Federal’s on the Red 3 were ready to rock and roll coming into T1 on my first hot lap. The Hankook’s were considerably less happy about this situation, and I never really felt comfortable with them like I did with the Federal’s. Having run both, and the Nexen N FERA SUR4G’s before, I can say with confidence that I prefer the Federal’s by a long shot. I honestly did not expect that.

Let’s talk suspension. The MCS are touted in the Time Attack and Racing community as some of the best coilovers money can buy. They had one noticeable advantage over the MPP Coils – driving over the rumble strips on the back esses did not upset the car at all. However, even with the supporting suspension modifications, they really were only slightly faster through every other corner. This surprised me. Given the disadvantages of the MCS setup (harsh on the street, noisy, expensive), I was really impressed with how smooth and fast the MPP Comfort’s were. I had to take a slightly different line through the back esses, but it didn’t result in much of a time difference. I’ve slowly been coming to the realization that MPP is hands-down the best aftermarket option for Tesla’s, and this just solidified that belief. Wow!

Let’s move on to the brakes. Was dumping a bunch of cash into a BBK worth it? While the Carbotech’s on my wife’s 3 did their job, they did not inspire confidence. I had brake fade on several occasions, usually while coming in to Turn 1, and the pedal was mushy and inconsistent. On the other hand, the AP BBK was incredibly consistent, did not fade at all, and the brakes were instantly available, every single time. I’ve written a more in-depth review on another thread, but in short it was a big upgrade and worth the money.

I was pacing for a 2:07.3 (per the AIM data) during my last session driving my Model 3. Unfortunately, I blew Turn 11 and the lap that I wanted was not to be. There’s always next time!

I did have one minor issue during the weekend. I roasted the right front wheel speed sensor on my wife's car from rubbing up against the tire. Fortunately, some wiring pins, solder, and electrical tape solved the problem.

Overall, it is impressive how fast a Model 3 can be with relatively simple modifications. I’ve previously stated that Tires and Wheels, Camber Arms (F+R), Pads, and Brake Fluid were the basics for getting on track and running fast laps without fear of destroying the tires or brakes. I think the performance my wife’s car put on at VIR reinforces that theory. To put things into perspective, here are lap times from the forums I used to hang out on for F80/F82 M3’s and M4’s.

VIR Full Course

2:05.664 poor-sha M3 6MT (Pirelli DH, DS 1.11 pads, Dinan)

2:06.6x lutfy M3 6MT (RE71R, RS29)

2:08:60 wigaster F80 6MT (NT01, rs29, ohlins R/T)

2:10.88 adc 2015 M3 6MT (NT01, Pagid Yellow)

2:12.20 Reach M3 (RE-11, RS29)

2:12.31 kitesurfer M4 (RS3, RS29, JRZ)

2:12.99 jbaslins M3 (RA1, Carbotech XP12/10)

2:15.90 JMon F8X (RS29)

Not too shabby given the BMW has much better top end for the long straights at VIR (and costs a pretty penny more).

The one thing I will admit I miss is the ability to go out for a half-hour and run with consistent power. It makes it quite a bit easier to set fast laps as you can really refine your line, braking points, and of course the more track time you have the better you will get. That being said, I am certainly not unhappy with the Model 3. I am getting solid 15 minute sessions with good power. It’s a compromise, but the Model 3 is quite good and a lot of fun to drive. Fuel and maintenance are much cheaper too!

In regard to tire and pad wear, I am seeing great results at this point. Front brakes on the AP kit should last for 14 days, rear pads are pacing for almost 20 days, and tires should fall somewhere around 15. That means the yearly running costs for the car are pretty low assuming you do roughly 15 days a year (a set of pads, brake fluid, and tires is ~$1,200).

I’m heading up to Lime Rock Park in Connecticut in a few weeks in my Model 3. Hoping to break that 1:00 barrier! Finally, a huge shout out to the team at MPP. They really went out of their way to help make my crazy idea a reality. Their parts shipped out quick, their communication was impeccable, and I have found that their products are simply the best on the market. Many kudos from me!

Video:

Black Model 3:

Red Model 3:

Pics:

View attachment 555048
View attachment 555050
View attachment 555051
View attachment 555054
View attachment 555055
View attachment 555057

Looks like you're the guy to ask this; can't seem to get feedback on it elsewhere.

Did you notice and downforce/handling differences on the front end with the UPP lip at high speeds?

So would you suggest the comforts for a agressively driven p3d street car that might see one or 1 track day a year ?
I would go Sports in this case. They are by no means uncomfortable and are much more competent on the track than the Comforts. Which is saying something, since apparently the Comforts do better than we thought!