Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I can’t believe that I rely on 360 camera views this much!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t know what year Audi you had but the 21 Q5 implementation is amazing.
48C23869-738D-4032-B449-F6D257B941E5.jpeg

there are a couple of times I found surroud/360 cameras really invaluable.
- tiny parking spots. Eg in St ives we had one that could barely fit the car in so you had to shove up as close as possible to the concrete pillars.
- Stupid car parks with sharp corners and kerbs that go in all directions. Seem to be more and more common - tight turns to get up the ramps, often the section around the ticket entry/exit gates have kerbs that extend and often curve away before the ’road’ does so its super easy to kerb your alloys.

camera is pure lazyness. a reverse camera is enough to get a decent surround view.
Not nearly - what the surround camera adds is a better view of the forward distance of the pillars, guardrails, or parked cars to your front edges. Actually, studies have found that reverse cameras resulted in drivers hitting fewer obstacles when backing up, but drivers were more likely to catch their front corners unless they are able to back up in a straight line.

I almost think the Bolt has a better top down than the Audi.

The view of the front bumper up close is very handy when parking with the bolt. I miss that with the Tesla. I haven't hit my Tesla nose but I feel like I'm close.

New owner of model y but I do miss the 360 camera view I had in my bmw quite a bit!

parking and navigating in tight spaces are harder without that surround view camera.

I’d pay more if that’s offered as an enhancement.
I think you just touched the right topic.
Also coming from BMW and just got into Tesla Y.
Battery considerations aside, my 3 year old BMW 630GT was way ahead of my new Tesla Y.
BMW’s 360 degree view, camera quality and collision warning in motion and while parking is the best and an industry reference to me.
Missing my bimmi already 🥲
Sincerely hope that at least some fixes will come through OTA for Tesla’s.
They manufacture wonderful technological cars, but they got into the very bad habit of charging you for every single functionality even when they should already be standard… at times not making them outright available! (ie the 360 degree view issue).
One step forward, two steps back?

You can't really put them aside, because the Tesla is first and foremost a battery electric vehicle. The MY is certainly not a luxury vehicle, so any comparison to a BMW are misplaced, in my opinion. If you wanted a luxury electric SUV, you should have gone for the Jaguar or the Mercedes.

I think the BMW comparison isn't that bad. I see a lot of their trims that I don't really consider to be luxury vehicles either. They are more performance oriented than pure luxury, IMO.

But a lot of non-luxury vehicles come with 360 degree cameras now.

But a lot of non-luxury vehicles come with 360 degree cameras now.
Oh, absolutely -- even years ago. My Nissan Leaf had that capability and I loved it (and I miss it in my MY). However, I see a lot of people comparing features or prices to ICE cars, as if the biggest "feature", and biggest cost, of BEVs isn't the battery. It's a different type of vehicle, and not considering that in comparisons makes me a little nutty.

They manufacture wonderful technological cars, but they got into the very bad habit of charging you for every single functionality even when they should already be standard

@Lekkar I'm curious about this point. The Model Y (since this in the Model Y area let's talk about MY) has pretty much every available option as standard with the exception of paint color, wheel size, towing hitch, and Performance trim. You can optionally add the acceleration boost after the fact, and/or full-self driving. Compare that to BMW that likes to charge you extra for a steering wheel and door locks and I'm struggling to see your complaint about charging for every single functionality because just about every one that's available is indeed standard.