Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I can’t believe that I rely on 360 camera views this much!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny, I'm coming from an Audi with the overhead camera view and have never missed it. The size/resolution wasn't good enough to be very useful except for avoiding parking blocks using the front camera (not really an issue with the Y). I find the Tesla's proximity line quite a lot more useful.

Reactions: LCS67
New owner of model y but I do miss the 360 camera view I had in my bmw quite a bit!

parking and navigating in tight spaces are harder without that surround view camera.

I’d pay more if that’s offered as an enhancement.
I agree. With all the cameras I expected a lot more out of Tesla. I much prefer the 360 view implemented as a near industry standard now. Our Bolt & Lexus are much better. As with most of the Tesla user interface the camera view is going to take some getting used to. Hopefully a functioning 360 view will make an OTA update at some point.

I missed 360 and front blind spot on the BMW. The side view in the camera is serviceable though. No answer for front blind spot which seems to be needed with the expansion of outdoor dining onto streets due to the pandemic. Either way the biggest Tesla miss is old fashion blind spot detection mirrors. Tesla’s implementation lags dangerousl.

I used it every time I pulled into a parking space. I could NEVER tell where my 2017 GMC Acadia was in relation to the marked lines. Can't count the number of time I got out of the car only to find I was not "centered" in the parking spot leaving one side of my vehicle exposed to the vehicle next to me opening a door into me. It's like a lot of accessories, once you live with it you come to rely on it. Being 68 years old it was like getting Cruise Control, Memory functions, power liftgate etc. Tesla is much like Apple in this regard.

Reactions: NewbieScoobie
New owner of model y but I do miss the 360 camera view I had in my bmw quite a bit!

parking and navigating in tight spaces are harder without that surround view camera.

I’d pay more if that’s offered as an enhancement.
Here's a workaround to try. Voice command "camera" forces camera view on. Use the swipe to open the side view camera view on the screen. Not a true 360 or above-the-car view, but you may find it useful. Cheers.

Reactions: house9 and MXLRplus
So something that’s standard on a Toyota Camry is 10k if you want it on a Tesla. NICE ELON!
My first ever experience with it was on my brand new BMW 650 and still managed to clip the wheel rim despite the camera showing some space (distortion of the view I suppose) so lost faith with it from that point.

Interested to see when/if we do get this feature and how it performs.

One tip I use that I picked up here on the forums is to create a profile called 'Parallel Park' or something. In the profile I have the mirrors dropped down so I can see the curb.

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up
I missed 360 and front blind spot on the BMW. The side view in the camera is serviceable though. No answer for front blind spot which seems to be needed with the expansion of outdoor dining onto streets due to the pandemic. Either way the biggest Tesla miss is old fashion blind spot detection mirrors. Tesla’s implementation lags dangerousl.
I agree. I’m afraid to drive on freeway because of terrible blind spot on L and a lag time on monitor