Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I can no longer recommend Tesla. Their Service is the Worst

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did elon once promise that Tesla owners will always get loaner teslas? Or am I mistaken?
Here's what Elon had to say about loaners in 2013:
Unfortunately, they reneged years later.

I've seen many accounts like the OP's, where Tesla's service was excellent up until Model 3 starting reaching customers in large numbers.

I think he even promised P100DL loaners across the board at some point.

Reactions: Ciaopec and cwerdna
I think he even promised P100DL loaners across the board at some point.
Thank you. I wasn't aware of that but Tesla plans to deploy fully-loaded P100Ds as loaner vehicles in all service centers confirms. Tesla plans to deploy fully-loaded P100Ds as loaner vehicles in all service centers is a snapshot from 2017.

It's not surprising. Elon/Tesla commits/promises to things which aren't sustainable, assuming they ever arrive. And, if something arrives, it's often years late.

It's not surprising. Elon/Tesla commits/promises to things which aren't sustainable, assuming they ever arrive. And, if something arrives, it's often years late.

That's too bad, too... really excited for Elon's RoboCop or OctoBot or whatever to wipe my butt. So tired of having to do it myself. Was expecting it'd be ready in about two weeks.

I agree with you. Tesla service was great but is now abysmal and I no longer recommend Tesla to my friends because of it. I have had a Tesla since 2012. I love my Model S but I despise the service these days. It has steadily gotten worse and worse. They charge luxury car prices because of demand but the service is sub standard and you have no choice but to use them.

I don't mind the App but no loaner, much poorer communication than in the past, and few service locations that have not kept up with the number of Tesla sales make owning a Tesla a real hassle these days. They now even say they will charge you if you cancel within 24 hours of your booking. The only remaining good service feature is the mobile option but they can only deal with limited issues.

As a further example of how mediocre Tesla service is, they are also unwilling to do preventative maintenance by checking my battery pack to make sure there is no corrosion issue from where the AC leaks onto the fuse panel. There are reported issues regarding this for cars my age. I can get a third party to do it for about $2k but Tesla won't. My car is still under extended warranty so if there is a potential issue it would be good to know before the warranty run out and there is no reason why Tesla should not do this as a paid service.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
That's too bad, too... really excited for Elon's RoboCop or OctoBot or whatever to wipe my butt. So tired of having to do it myself. Was expecting it'd be ready in about two weeks.
Definitely NOT worth it! I have the Full Self Wipe (FSWbeta) version and it will be years, if not decades, for this to become a reality. Phantom wiping, unexpected "lane changes". Not excited about "vision only" based technology, either.😅

Here's what Elon had to say about loaners in 2013:
Unfortunately, they reneged years later.

I've seen many accounts like the OP's, where Tesla's service was excellent up until Model 3 starting reaching customers in large numbers.
Unfortunately the entire company experience, as well as the overall Tesla community, changed when the M3 started hitting and not for the better.

I called Tesla West Palm Beach service center. Waited on hold one hour had to take another call. Called back waited halfhour hung up. Next day called twenty minutes get answer. Told callreadside service. Message said "WAIT TIME Greater THAN ONE HOUR". Bought new model #3 2020. My last Tesla. With Fod, GM, VW coming on strong I know when call dealership call will be answered

• Funny
Reactions: SO16
I called Tesla West Palm Beach service center. Waited on hold one hour had to take another call. Called back waited halfhour hung up. Next day called twenty minutes get answer. Told callreadside service. Message said "WAIT TIME Greater THAN ONE HOUR". Bought new model #3 2020. My last Tesla. With Fod, GM, VW coming on strong I know when call dealership call will be answered
Was this your first attempt to contact Tesla service? Tesla recommends that you first set up a service call with the app.

Reactions: zoomer0056
You missed the "best" parts that can occur when they actually get their hands on your car.

If there is any chance you can fix it yourself, I would.

Reactions: Barry
I can surely understand the repair costs and how long it takes to get parts. But i literally would not want it any other way. Taking to a rep on the phone, assuming they actually pick up, and scheduling an appointment with you verbally explaining the issue is old school at this point. I can do the appointment at any time of the day, yes that means off hours, pick a day and a time, and majority of the time they will literally drive to my house and do it in my driveway. I know there are aspects that are frustrating, but no other company has the ability to operate this way.

I do however hear alot of bad experiences. Unfortunately service centers are not created equally.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I can surely understand the repair costs and how long it takes to get parts. But i literally would not want it any other way. Taking to a rep on the phone, assuming they actually pick up, and scheduling an appointment with you verbally explaining the issue is old school at this point. I can do the appointment at any time of the day, yes that means off hours, pick a day and a time, and majority of the time they will literally drive to my house and do it in my driveway. I know there are aspects that are frustrating, but no other company has the ability to operate this way.

I do however hear alot of bad experiences. Unfortunately service centers are not created equally.
Yeah, I really wish they would consider franchising service centers. The best will rise to the top, the worst ones will sink.

Reactions: cleverscreenam
In the beginning I had a hard time adjusting to the app however I must say now that I am used to it I find it works very well. Usually get answers within the hour or better, sometimes within minutes. Guess loaner cars vary depending on where you are. Here in Montreal, Canada, there is always a loaner waiting for you. Sometimes if they are short on Tesla loaners they will give you a non Tesla (they have these in the yard) vehicle which is fine by me. Ranger service is fast and reliable when it can be used.

Cannot say I dislike the way Tesla has done this. No more service reps trying to sell you a bunch of unnecessary stuff when you simply bring your car in for an oil change.

I am also in the same boat not understanding those that buy a Tesla with the service centre being hours away. I would never do this, just does not make sense unless you are willing to live with the consequences. Any car can break down several times in a short period of time that requires you to bring it in. In my case the SC is 20 minutes away and another one about 35 minutes away.

Last edited: