Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I can no longer recommend Tesla. Their Service is the Worst

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got home yesterday and my wife says I have bad news! Big rock tried mating with the Y windshield and left a large unrepairable mess the size of a quarter.

Requested service on the app and basically just said I need an estimate for windshield replacement. About an hour later I got the estimate with the option to accept or decline and some SC centres to chose from, I accepted and chose closet one 20 mins away. A few minutes later they respond by saying I have an appointment on Jan 31st at 10:30 AM which is 5 days later.

Whats not to like about the service I ask? smooth as heck, quick and efficient. Liking this way of doing things more and more.

Got home yesterday and my wife says I have bad news! Big rock tried mating with the Y windshield and left a large unrepairable mess the size of a quarter.

Requested service on the app and basically just said I need an estimate for windshield replacement. About an hour later I got the estimate with the option to accept or decline and some SC centres to chose from, I accepted and chose closet one 20 mins away. A few minutes later they respond by saying I have an appointment on Jan 31st at 10:30 AM which is 5 days later.

Whats not to like about the service I ask? smooth as heck, quick and efficient. Liking this way of doing things more and more.
If it’s not spreading I’d wait till spring.

My experience (and opinion) is that Tesla's *systems* for service (app/text) are much better than legacy auto... but Tesla's *quality* of service can be hit or miss.

Of course, it depends on the employees, just like every other business. Sometimes the employees just want you to go away. It could also be that they're under pressure to "hit numbers" at the service centers... so maybe they need to play defensive, deny warranty work, etc just to not get in trouble.

I'm only saying this because it might not be the SC employees... it could be pressure from above that causes some of the poor experiences.

That said, visiting a service center usually implies a *problem* to begin with... so I'm not surprised that it seems like a "bad experience" to people.

What has got me really frustrated is the abysmal customer service. Between 2014 and 2018, customer service at Tesla was PHENOMENAL! What happened??!!
What happened? The Model 3, which became their mass adoption bread and butter for profitability. When the S was the only game in town from 2012-2016 they bent ass end over backwards to satisfy owners, then the same with Model X because the future of the company and good word of mouth relied on it. Once the 3 and Y became reality they were the entire focus on turning a profit and making Tesla mainstream for EV adoption. Now it feels like the S and X are halo cars and their future undecided based on their half-hearted "cosmetic refresh".

How can you say that when:

The appt. has not been rescheduled yet due to parts.

They failed to do the work properly.

They damaged the car during the work and tried to blame you.

Check back in and let us know how it went.

How can you say that when:

The appt. has not been rescheduled yet due to parts.

They failed to do the work properly.

They damaged the car during the work and tried to blame you.

Check back in and let us know how it went.
Will be glad to report back however over the 2 1/2 years of owning Teslas, and all of my SC visits, nothing has really ever gone wrong nor have they damaged anything. It did happen once where they kept the car longer than expected due to parts availability which if I remember correctly was an additional 4 days. Did not bother me much since they had given me a loaner.

Reactions: SO16
What happened? The Model 3, which became their mass adoption bread and butter for profitability. When the S was the only game in town from 2012-2016 they bent ass end over backwards to satisfy owners, then the same with Model X because the future of the company and good word of mouth relied on it. Once the 3 and Y became reality they were the entire focus on turning a profit and making Tesla mainstream for EV adoption. Now it feels like the S and X are halo cars and their future undecided based on their half-hearted "cosmetic refresh".

Will be glad to report back however over the 2 1/2 years of owning Teslas, and all of my SC visits, nothing has really ever gone wrong nor have they damaged anything. It did happen once where they kept the car longer than expected due to parts availability which if I remember correctly was an additional 4 days. Did not bother me much since they had given me a loaner.
There have been reports, mainly some years ago, of good to excellent service at SvC in a Tesla "Desert" where they are not as busy as in CA.

Mobile has been good to very good, but that is changing as folks are leaving for greener pastures.

Documented in this forum that office staff are doing service.

Yesterday I was called out by service for using acronyms, and to please explain the following:

BT

SuC

MC

Seriously!

Window replacement should be straightforward, but several reports of Tesla screwing that up with wind and water leaks.

Window replacement should be straightforward, but several reports of Tesla screwing that up with wind and water leaks.
Service and work done has nothing to do with Tesla itself. All depends on the individual that is doing the job. No different than a good doctor or a bad one. Both went to school and got diplomas however some are just better at doing things than others and actually care about their work. Unfortunately there seems to be more and more that don't give a hoot.

Same thing with service centres, some run a tight ship and others well lets just say they get buy. I seem to be lucky enough to have a good one. This can be said for all brands, not just Tesla.

Service and work done has nothing to do with Tesla itself. All depends on the individual that is doing the job. No different than a good doctor or a bad one. Both went to school and got diplomas however some are just better at doing things than others and actually care about their work. Unfortunately there seems to be more and more that don't give a hoot.

Same thing with service centres, some run a tight ship and others well lets just say they get buy. I seem to be lucky enough to have a good one. This can be said for all brands, not just Tesla.
10+ mobile appts. 4 major fails in those visits. 7+ different SvC visited. 5 times in for service with gut wrenching failures every time. 4 months and still waiting for tow reimbursement authorized by Tesla Roadside.

3 delivery assists, 2 deliveries (only one 2018 ) without problems.

I have read well north of 500K posts here in 6 years. I AM NOT ALONE, as this thread title would suggest.

Service and work done has nothing to do with Tesla itself.
You can not separate Tesla employees from Tesla.
The Tesla people, their Tesla resources, their Tesla processes and their Tesla training are Tesla. When you talk to a Tesla employee at Tesla you are talking to Tesla. When your car is serviced at a Tesla service center it is being serviced by Tesla.

Reactions: father_of_6
I have had my Model S for almost eight years and I have had a number of issues recently. I am not upset about the issues with the car, it is after all, eight years old with 165K miles, and truth be told, I was aware of Tesla's reputation for poor build quality when I got it. I am a big fan of what the company has done and the direction they are pushing the whole auto industry to. What has got me really frustrated is the abysmal customer service. Between 2014 and 2018, customer service at Tesla was PHENOMENAL! What happened??!! I really miss having a live person I could call and explain what issue was wrong with my vehicle. I miss getting calls telling me when I could expect to get my car back. I miss having loaner vehicles made available when your car was in service. Relying on an app to handle service is the worst idea in the world and I wish I could punch the latte sipping, avocado toast gobbling millennial that thought this was the way to treat customers. No one responds to your messages. Ever!! Getting parts takes forever. The repair time estimates are never on time. There is no direct phone to the service center itself!! Who stays in business like this??!!

I know I am not the only person that feels this way and for all you apologists that think the problem is me, then rest assured, your time to deal with these clowns is coming sooner than you think. Unless things dramatically improve, I honestly cannot see myself recommending this car company to anyone.
Yes, you said it correctly. I have been more fortunate with my 8 year old Tesla and only needed the 12 volt battery (3 ! ) and a door handle repair in the last 5 years but the frustration with the 'app only' is beyond measure. Twice I have finally gotten an appointment, drive the 40 minutes to the dealer, wait around only to be told they will schedule me for at home service. They can't even figure out the technology to at least do the same thing on-line, it must be through the phone app. The hatred for their service is going to bite them as more and more competing EV companies produce good products. Bad planning on Tesla's part.

Reactions: aerodyne
You can not separate Tesla employees from Tesla.
The Tesla people, their Tesla resources, their Tesla processes and their Tesla training are Tesla. When you talk to a Tesla employee at Tesla you are talking to Tesla. When your car is serviced at a Tesla service center it is being serviced by Tesla.
Really? So lets talk strictly mechanics/service at the SC because this is what this thread is all about. Are you trying to tell me that all mechanics all do the same or comparable work when a car needs servicing and no matter who may work on it, the outcome will be the same?

One guy will rip apart the car doing more damage than good while leaving boot prints and grease marks everywhere whereas another will take the time to do it right without leaving a sign he even worked on the car. This has nothing to do with Tesla as a company or the training they may get, more like best employee vs worst.

I am not saying nobody has had bad experiences. My point is change service centres if you can if things do not work out for you where you are, some seem to get things right and seem to have competent people, others do not fare as well.

Yes, you said it correctly. I have been more fortunate with my 8 year old Tesla and only needed the 12 volt battery (3 ! ) and a door handle repair in the last 5 years but the frustration with the 'app only' is beyond measure. Twice I have finally gotten an appointment, drive the 40 minutes to the dealer, wait around only to be told they will schedule me for at home service. They can't even figure out the technology to at least do the same thing on-line, it must be through the phone app. The hatred for their service is going to bite them as more and more competing EV companies produce good products. Bad planning on Tesla's part.
See! Tesla was right in a way. "The best service is no service"

We should be thankful for free access to the EPC and SM...and Ebay motors