Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I can now hear and reply to text messages in my Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw a youtube video that mentioned Readittome 2.0. You have to have an Android phone (just another reason why I prefer Android) When you set this app up correctly your incoming text messages (or any messages if you set them up) will break in over whatever you're listening to (just like an incoming phone call. It even pops up the incoming call box on the screen) and read your text message and then ask if you want to reply. You can then reply by voice and it will verify and then send. You can even customize by individual contact. You can set it to not notify you at all for specific contacts, or just have it announce a message but not read the whole thing for specific contacts. Tesla still needs to add this functionality since all of their luxury competitors already have it, but this is an awesome fix until then!

• Informative
Reactions: Hank42
I set up Readittome on my phone and got it working in my model S. It wasn't easy but once I figured out all the settings, it does read your texts to you through the car's speakers like a phone call. You have to enable it for your car's bluetooth and set it up in the app to "BT Mono for older bluetooth devices". Don't check any of the options or it won't work.

I saw a youtube video that mentioned Readittome 2.0. You have to have an Android phone (just another reason why I prefer Android) When you set this app up correctly your incoming text messages (or any messages if you set them up) will break in over whatever you're listening to (just like an incoming phone call. It even pops up the incoming call box on the screen) and read your text message and then ask if you want to reply. You can then reply by voice and it will verify and then send. You can even customize by individual contact. You can set it to not notify you at all for specific contacts, or just have it announce a message but not read the whole thing for specific contacts. Tesla still needs to add this functionality since all of their luxury competitors already have it, but this is an awesome fix until then!

Care to share the settings in the app and car to get this working?

Thanks

Care to share the settings in the app and car to get this working?

Thanks
Sure. There are no settings in the car. On the app, it will ask you to select a profile or create one. You need to create a bluetooth one, when you pull down the menu you will see your car listed under bluetooth devices. Select that. Then select "I don't know" and then select "phone only" That's it. Then you can go in and customize for individual contacts if you want. The default is to read the name of the person and the whole message but you can change that for anyone you want.

Sure. There are no settings in the car. On the app, it will ask you to select a profile or create one. You need to create a bluetooth one, when you pull down the menu you will see your car listed under bluetooth devices. Select that. Then select "I don't know" and then select "phone only" That's it. Then you can go in and customize for individual contacts if you want. The default is to read the name of the person and the whole message but you can change that for anyone you want.

Ok, set up a profile. Not sure exactly where to customize but we'll see how this goes tomorrow. Thanks

PS. I see there are paid features after the 14 day trial. Wonder if we need to pay. hmm...……...

Ok, set up a profile. Not sure exactly where to customize but we'll see how this goes tomorrow. Thanks

PS. I see there are paid features after the 14 day trial. Wonder if we need to pay. hmm...……...

replying by voice requires pay after the trial. I think it's 2 bucks. I would have paid ten times that much. I forgot to mention that you have to go into the Apps setting and check mark the app you use for messaging. That's where you turn on and off which apps you want to get messages from in the car. The area where you customize your contacts is labeled SMS.

replying by voice requires pay after the trial. I think it's 2 bucks. I would have paid ten times that much. I forgot to mention that you have to go into the Apps setting and check mark the app you use for messaging. That's where you turn on and off which apps you want to get messages from in the car. The area where you customize your contacts is labeled SMS.

Didn't get a chance to test it today. I use the stock Messages app on my Samsung S9. When I got into Apps I don't see it in there. hmm...…..

you can do it natively on an android too, but with both you still have to have the car's media on phone and with an iphone you wont get interrupted with your message, you have to notice that you phone has a message and then ask siri to play it. We can all do that on any phone already. This app makes the car work like carplay or android auto or one of the dozens of other cars that already have this functionality built in. What you can do natively on an iphone is not the same.

I just checked the Google App store and don't see this app. It appears its not compatible with a Google Pixel 2 XL. That sucks.

The play store doesn't know you have a pixel vs. a samsung or any other android phone. It should be there. I'm looking at it in the play store right now
On the contrary, the Play Store will tell you if the device on which you want to install an app is marked as having an incompatibility or lacking a dependency. If you're browsing the Play Store using the in-phone app, incompatible apps will not even be displayed. Sometimes. But if you're using a web browser, it will show all available apps, and only alert you about the incompatibility when you're selecting a device to install the app onto.