Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I Can Think Faster than Auto Pilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jenlinking

Supporting Member
Oct 11, 2019
Carlsbad, CA USA
Why can’t autopilot determine that a car turning left 50 ft in front of me (across my course of travel) is actually moving OUT of my course of travel at a rate that will ensure the M3 won’t hit it? We’ve had the M3 slam on the brakes when there is no way we would ever hit the vehicle turning to go a complete different direction... I am really hoping that in these instances the data from the car is being used to help the car (or Telsa) not make these mistakes in the future. We don’t have FSD just AP...maybe it’s better in FSD? If not...there is no way I would spend the money on FSD. Thoughts?

Why can’t autopilot determine that a car turning left 50 ft in front of me (across my course of travel) is actually moving OUT of my course of travel at a rate that will ensure the M3 won’t hit it? We’ve had the M3 slam on the brakes when there is no way we would ever hit the vehicle turning to go a complete different direction... I am really hoping that in these instances the data from the car is being used to help the car (or Telsa) not make these mistakes in the future. We don’t have FSD just AP...maybe it’s better in FSD? If not...there is no way I would spend the money on FSD. Thoughts?

AP/FSD is a work in progress development effort. It does remind us how efficient the human brain is at making subconscious complex physics calculations as we drive. Combined with great pattern recognition, we know how much to brake, when to change lanes, we stay out of others blind spots, avoid potholes, make split second decisions regarding traffic lights and on and on. IMO, the AP (computer) is good at the mundane stuff like maintaining a specific speed or keeping us in a lane. The complex stuff and all the decisions that need to be made in city driving are a long ways away from being fully autonomous. IMO, I don't know if it actually is realistic until all the other vehicles have this tech and are part of some networked grid so they are aware of one another.

It is fun to be a part of the evolving technology though.

How about the ability to remember that there is a car in front of you even though it disappears from view temporarily over a hill or around a corner? Object permanence

How about understanding that some people drive like yoyos always varying their speed but that does not mean we have to. We can drive an average of the car ahead's speed thus keeping ourselves and our passengers from getting car sick.

until vehicle to vehicle communication across all manufacturers becomes a reality, there will be case scenarios where the computer will not be able to decide like a human could. for instance, the car turning in front of you could have relayed that they're leaving the lane and let your car know not to brake.

Why can’t autopilot determine that a car turning left 50 ft in front of me (across my course of travel) is actually moving OUT of my course of travel at a rate that will ensure the M3 won’t hit it?

Because AP is explicitly not intended to be used there

AP is intended to be used on limited-access divided freeways where all traffic is going the same direction, and entry/exit is controlled by things like on/off ramps.

No intersections, no cross or 2-way traffic, no turn lanes.

This is all covered in the owners manual explaining AP.

Now, certainly, once FSD adds in-city driving to its capabilities (currently it does NOT include them) they'll need the system to handle situations like you describe. But the current system isn't even intended to do so, so the fact it doesn't is not, at all, surprising.

Because AP is explicitly not intended to be used there

AP is intended to be used on limited-access divided freeways where all traffic is going the same direction, and entry/exit is controlled by things like on/off ramps.

No intersections, no cross or 2-way traffic, no turn lanes.

This is all covered in the owners manual explaining AP.

Now, certainly, once FSD adds in-city driving to its capabilities (currently it does NOT include them) they'll need the system to handle situations like you describe. But the current system isn't even intended to do so, so the fact it doesn't is not, at all, surprising.

That is scary that somebody disagrees with your post. No wonder why the insurance is high.

This is a known issue, and there are videos online where it has caused wrecks. Despite such balderdash we repeatedly see posted here, Tesla's cruise control (TACC) is not to be limited to controlled access roads. It can be set as low as 18MPH, and controlled access roads have minimum speeds of 40MPH. Tesla does state that it is not for use on city streets where traffic conditions are constantly changing, but there are a great many roads where people can turn left in front of you. For example, the difference between a freeway and a highway that a freeway is controlled access, and highways are not. Tesla's owners manual SPECIFICALLY STATES that it is "mainly to be used on dry, straight roads, such as freeways and HIGHWAYS."

TN state law requires 2 seconds travelling distance between cars. NHTSA uses 1.3 seconds as a reaction time. It doens't take long for a group of cars, even those actually following the 2 seconds, to overcome that differnce when Teslas TACC brake checks. People typically drive about 30' (the stripes are 10 feet long) around cities in my experience (Lexington, Atlanta, Nashville, Knoxville, Macon, Greensboro, Raleigh since I've had my Tesla),. 70MPH is 100ft/sec. So yeah, do the math.

That said, the car has gotten better at it as I've driven more, but I also anticipate when it happens, and depsressing teh throttle slightly will prevent that. I still wish conventional cruise control were possible on these cars.

This is a known issue, and there are videos online where it has caused wrecks. Despite such balderdash we repeatedly see posted here, Tesla's cruise control (TACC) is not to be limited to controlled access roads. It can be set as low as 18MPH, and controlled access roads have minimum speeds of 40MPH. Tesla does state that it is not for use on city streets where traffic conditions are constantly changing, but there are a great many roads where people can turn left in front of you. For example, the difference between a freeway and a highway that a freeway is controlled access, and highways are not. Tesla's owners manual SPECIFICALLY STATES that it is "mainly to be used on dry, straight roads, such as freeways and HIGHWAYS."

TN state law requires 2 seconds travelling distance between cars. NHTSA uses 1.3 seconds as a reaction time. It doens't take long for a group of cars, even those actually following the 2 seconds, to overcome that differnce when Teslas TACC brake checks. People typically drive about 30' (the stripes are 10 feet long) around cities in my experience (Lexington, Atlanta, Nashville, Knoxville, Macon, Greensboro, Raleigh since I've had my Tesla),. 70MPH is 100ft/sec. So yeah, do the math.

That said, the car has gotten better at it as I've driven more, but I also anticipate when it happens, and depsressing teh throttle slightly will prevent that. I still wish conventional cruise control were possible on these cars.

I've raced at Beech Bend, so I know how you folk drive. You can be excused from normal behavior on roads because nobody is expecting you to pay attention while driving.

PS - Yes I know Beech Bend is in KY, but it's really close to the border.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Ryephile
Except that the car ahead can change his/her mind and stop. At which time you don't have time to stop.

This. What you're doing is predicting the most likely action that the car in front of you is going to take and acting based upon that assumption. While we, as human drivers, do that a zillion times a year, it's not foolproof because other drivers are unpredictable. The AP can, and will, only act upon what is actually happening.

I see this same kind of issue when two humans are in the car. The driver may feel well in control, but the passenger is on pins and needles wondering if the driver is seeing the same danger signs as they do.

Not unusual for my GF to be pressing her imaginary brake pedal when she sees something I might have also seen, but dismissed. Also common for me to experience anxiety whe she is driving, as she reacts differently and drives differently than I do.

Not unusual for a human driver and autopilot to perceive two different levels of threat.

Example...her...You almost hit that dog. Me...What dog?