Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I cannot believe Detroit (Chevy Bolt)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't believe what this country has become. I rode in a Chevy Bolt. What a POS. It's apparently designed to make people run back to their gas guzzler SUVs. The default screen colors are baby blue?? The car looks like a golf cart. And it costs nearly as much as a Model 3. The wheels looked stamped out of sheet metal. The interior seems made by Mattel. No wonder they, and the gas companies, are out to sink Elon Musk! They had a nicer Volt. So they discontinued it? The Chinese think in 20 year plans. Detroit couldn't prepare and wait a little for the idiot public to wake up to EVs?

So what can Detroit deliver when the public suddenly realizes these storms and fires are really REALLY inconvenient, as in my cousin DIED, my wife's sister lost her home, no it's not "fake news", we have to stop the pollution, and electricity is cheaper than gas, and they all want EVs, probably in 2020? That Bolt is the crowning glory of Detroit's know-how? My Lawd!!

I can't believe what this country has become. I rode in a Chevy Bolt. What a POS. It's apparently designed to make people run back to their gas guzzler SUVs. The default screen colors are baby blue?? The car looks like a golf cart. And it costs nearly as much as a Model 3. The wheels looked stamped out of sheet metal. The interior seems made by Mattel. No wonder they, and the gas companies, are out to sink Elon Musk! They had a nicer Volt. So they discontinued it? The Chinese think in 20 year plans. Detroit couldn't prepare and wait a little for the idiot public to wake up to EVs?

So what can Detroit deliver when the public suddenly realizes these storms and fires are really REALLY inconvenient, as in my cousin DIED, my wife's sister lost her home, no it's not "fake news", we have to stop the pollution, and electricity is cheaper than gas, and they all want EVs, probably in 2020? That Bolt is the crowning glory of Detroit's know-how? My Lawd!!
You had me for the first paragraph.

In France they call those little econo-cars and first generation EVs "yoghurt pots", like the plastic dairy containers. It's considered below an adult's dignity to drive one. It's for baby sitters. Or for driving down to fetch a loaf of bread. The Bolt strikes me as a Yoghurt Pot. It may have some torque, but so does a tractor.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Yeah the Bolt certainly ain't a Tesla, but don't go too hard on it. If you want a 2 year old used EV for as little as 16-20k with over 200+ miles of range it's the only game in town. For many people that may be all they can afford so the fact that they're out there should be welcomed by all of us who want to see more EVs on the road.

But it's being sold for the price of an M3 by the time you add all the options, like wheels, headlights and a decent charger! I got a family member who just got one and I'm furious. His lease is $400, same as a Model 3, it's just that they don't require a down payment, so he was between a rock and a hard place.

I grew up in Detroit suburbs and lived there for 35 years. GM has been on the decline since post-67 riots. John Delorean even comments on their practices in his book years ago after he resigned. Bankruptcy in 2008/2009 - I saw that coming years prior. Government bailout?!

I don't know what's going on with them but their MO is always perfume on a pig.

But it's being sold for the price of an M3 by the time you add all the options, like wheels, headlights and a decent charger! I got a family member who just got one and I'm furious. His lease is $400, same as a Model 3, it's just that they don't require a down payment, so he was between a rock and a hard place.
One can get $10k off MSRP on the top trim level...so about $30-33k if one buys. If one were to buy used....one can prob get an LT 2017 for under $20k....good bargain IMHO.

Another opinion from a person that owns both: Model 3 Owner Loving His New (used) Bolt!

"I just took unexpected ownership of a 2017 Bolt. My 2004 Prius' hybrid battery died (for the second time -- the OEM battery lasted 12.5 years, the third party replacement only 3 years -- alas). As the battery weakened toward un-useability over over the course of a few days, it was an unplanned race against time to find another car. (After 225k miles of great reliability, various other expensive problems were finally mounting, making another battery replacement not worthwhile.)

We have a 13-month-old Model 3 and were determined to find another BEV as the Prius replacement. Searched every type of used EV (didn't have another $30k+ for a new one). Used Teslas are very expensive. Most other used EVs are fairly range-limited or need gas-burning range extenders. The Bolt emerged as the obvious answer.

I've poked around this excellent forum, and saw that Model 3s are not always well-regarded in the postings. From first-hand experience, I can only rave about our Model 3 -- but I won't go on about that here -- feelings about that car are beside the point. The point is that I'm LOVING the Bolt -- absolutely.

In the few days we've owned it, I've been thrilled to drive it -- not missing driving the Tesla (as I sometimes did when driving the Prius, excellent though it had been, even in old age). If neither car is being used, I've been opting for the Bolt when I need to run errands. The Bolt is solid and has great features, performance, range and utility. Several of the features and functionality are nice improvements over the Model 3's.

This Bolt has 50k miles on the odometer, but still charges to about 220 miles anticipated range -- plenty for my needs. This site's threads about reliability suggest that it won't have maintenance problems any time soon. (If anyone with a 50k+ miles on theirs can weigh in further on range changes and reliability, please don't hesitate.)

If a fortune teller had told me a week ago that in one week I'd be a Chevy-Bolt-owning Chevy Bolt fan, I would have laughed them out of the room. I had no negative opinion of the Bolt, mind you. (In fact, I envied the hatchback form-factor for an EV, compared to the Model 3's sedan trunk, etc.) But I was so amazed with the Model 3 that I didn't believe any other car could impress me. All I can say is that I'm a convert. I now love both of my EVs. I don't think any Bolt owner should trash-talk Model 3, and no Model 3 owner should ever trash-talk the Chevy Bolt. If you ask me, they should be united with their excellent choices in cars. (If there's any distain, it should be reserved for gas cars!)"

Another opinion from a person that owns both: Model 3 Owner Loving His New (used) Bolt!

If a fortune teller had told me a week ago that in one week I'd be a Chevy-Bolt-owning Chevy Bolt fan, I would have laughed them out of the room. I had no negative opinion of the Bolt, mind you. (In fact, I envied the hatchback form-factor for an EV, compared to the Model 3's sedan trunk, etc.) But I was so amazed with the Model 3 that I didn't believe any other car could impress me. All I can say is that I'm a convert. I now love both of my EVs. I don't think any Bolt owner should trash-talk Model 3, and no Model 3 owner should ever trash-talk the Chevy Bolt. If you ask me, they should be united with their excellent choices in cars. (If there's any distain, it should be reserved for gas cars!)"

Indeed. I test drove both a Model 3 and a Bolt on the same day. Thanks to all the praise of the Model 3 and the criticisms, as in this thread's opening post, about the Bolt, I came away with an improved opinion of the Bolt and a lowered opinion of the Model 3. IMHO, Tesla fanboy-ism does Tesla more harm than good because it raises expectations to unreasonable levels. The Bolt is a fine car for what it is. It's not a luxury vehicle or a sports car by any stretch of the imagination, but it is practical basic transportation, with EV range adequate for most needs -- even road trips, if one isn't in a great hurry and doesn't need to stray too far from CCS infrastructure. Remember, the Toyota Prius sold quite well for years (its sales have been dropping recently, though), for similar reasons -- it's a practical and fuel-efficient vehicle -- and despite the scorn it received from automotive enthusiasts.

I personally don't need a luxury interior or the Model 3's superior performance (I drive my car to work, to the grocery store, and on road trips, not on a track). I'm a function-over-form sort of person, so I don't care about a car's styling -- but the Bolt's hatchback design was a big plus for it over the Model 3 in my deliberations. All that said, in the end, I bought a Model 3 rather than a Bolt because the Model 3 offered more in the way of high-tech features, especially OTA updates and the promise of more to come; and because of its much better DC fast charging capabilities. I'm happy with my Model 3, but I'd probably have been happy had I bought a Bolt, or waited a little while longer for a Hyundai Kona (which was just beginning to be rolled out in the US when I bought my Model 3).

About a year ago my GF was interested in buying an EV (for commuting purposes) and we test drove the Bolt. We were very impressed. At the time, we didn't know much about EV's and did not drive a Tesla due to impressions that it was out of her price range. That's changed with the 3's coming down in price, so maybe it was in range a year ago, but our initial impression was that it was not.

We really liked the Bolt's ergonomics, me at 6'2 the head room and space, the 10"(?) screen was nice and easy to use, the rear view mirror camera was also a nice feature.

Personally, I do have a 3 on order, for a variety of reasons I think the 3 is a better EV but I don't think the Bolt should be disparaged.

We also test road the Fiat EV two door, forgot the model name, now that was a POS.

The Bolt is great for what it is. It's apparently reliable etc. But I'm an engineer, and I was horrified to see how they waste its very real potential. IMHO it could be SO much more at such minor incremental cost, it could put GM back on its feet, world-wide.

For whatever reason, Americans' cars ARE extensions of our wardrobe. We'll tolerate a dork daily driver, but a beautiful car beats antidepressants in every way, and Lord knows, we need all the help we can get. Detroit had aways catered to that, but they used to lead, not follow fearfully, like the executives are scraping up the last fruit before bankruptcy, and investing in what? In smearing the competition?

Musk is more American than America, the last one standing. Don't tell me Jeff Bezos and Tim Cook are in the same league. He needs and deserves to be supported 110%. We knew that when we loaned him $1k on the M3 "reservations". I'm not wealthy, and since I already had EAP the extra $3k I gladly paid for 3.x hardware and "FSD" bought me nothing, right now. Nothing but the future. Tesla is Strategic Materiel.

If GM put a fraction of Musk's passion and talent into that Bolt, I'd be shouting on the rooftop rooting for them too.

Last edited: