Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I cannot believe the phone call I just received.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I cannot believe the phone call I just received from Tesla. I ordered a Blue M3 SR+ on September 23rd in Montreal. I got a phone call early this afternoon telling me that my car has arrived and I scheduled a delievery for monday at 3. And then around 5PM I got a phone call from my sales advisor telling me that my car arrived white and not blue. The VIN indicates a blue car and he cant legally sell the car and has to scrap it. And they are going to try and find me another car ASAP. Like im stunned right now. I went from being so pumped after a 2 month long wait. To this. I dont even know how to react. How long is it realistically going to take to get another car? Im so disappointed.

I cannot believe the phone call I just received from Tesla. I ordered a Blue M3 SR+ on September 23rd in Montreal. I got a phone call early this afternoon telling me that my car has arrived and I scheduled a delievery for monday at 3. And then around 5PM I got a phone call from my sales advisor telling me that my car arrived white and not blue. The VIN indicates a blue car and he cant legally sell the car and has to scrap it. And they are going to try and find me another car ASAP. Like im stunned right now. I went from being so pumped after a 2 month long wait. To this. I dont even know how to react. How long is it realistically going to take to get another car? Im so disappointed.
Wow. Just...wow. I am really sorry this happened. How can such an oversight even occur? Smfh...

Wow. Just...wow. I am really sorry this happened. How can such an oversight even occur? Smfh...
Sorry to hear this happened. But the VIN does not indicate the color of a car - I checked it online. So Tesla is wrong on that one.

Another instance of Tesla rushing to make things wrong. You're in a very metropolitan area - so Tesla should be able to find you a replacement. For sure, they could sell you the white one, though if you don't want white - then they should find you a blue.

Too many unqualified people working with the public. That's Tesla!

Sorry to hear this happened. But the VIN does not indicate the color of a car - I checked it online. So Tesla is wrong on that one.

Another instance of Tesla rushing to make things wrong. You're in a very metropolitan area - so Tesla should be able to find you a replacement. For sure, they could sell you the white one, though if you don't want white - then they should find you a blue.

Too many unqualified people working with the public. That's Tesla!
I dont blame anyone. It’s a mistake. The robot at the factory probably messed up. Its really no ones fault. Accidents happen. Im just disappointed that its going to take longer.

Reactions: dandrewk
There's absolutely NEVER a color code in a VIN number. Otherwise it would be illegal to paint your car as the VIN would then never match.

Tesla is lying to you. Which leads me to believe they sold your car to someone else by mistake, and they don't want to admit that to you.

(Them suggesting they 'scrap' the car is also his/her way of saying, there's no way of getting it, so you won't ask. Of course, they aren't ****ing scrapping a highly in demand model 3. Even if the factory 'accidentally' painted your car the wrong color. They wouldn't scrap the car, they would sell it to someone else. That car is sitting in someone else's garage right now)

This sounds like an excuse I gave my mother when i was 7, thinking it was perfect, but in reality it was obviously a load of nonsense.

There's absolutely NEVER a color code in a VIN number. Otherwise it would be illegal to paint your car as the VIN would then never match.

Tesla is lying to you. Which leads me to believe they sold your car to someone else by mistake, and they don't want to admit that to you.

(Them suggesting they 'scrap' the car is also his/her way of saying, there's no way of getting it, so you won't ask. Of course, they aren't ****ing scrapping a highly in demand model 3. That car is sitting in someone else's garage right now)

This sounds like an excuse I gave my mother when i was 7, thinking it was perfect, but in reality it was obviously a load of nonsense.
Yes, it seems that you are likely right!

I dont blame anyone. It’s a mistake. The robot at the factory probably messed up. Its really no ones fault. Accidents happen. Im just disappointed that its going to take longer.
Seems like a lot of fail safe measures that got wrong here. Don’t they have checklists!!?

Got painted the wrong color, no notice?
Got loaded into truck with wrong color on order, no notice?
Gets inventoried into Tesla sales room with wrong color/order, no notice?

I think the poster above about selling it to someone else seems more likely. Maybe a friend? Maybe some cash? Would be interesting to track down that VIN!

Oh, please.... You're right that color isn't encoded in the VIN, but even it it were, it would not be illegal to paint your car or make any other after-market change that conflicts with the VIN. It happens all the time, and is totally and perfectly LEGAL.

In fact, in early Tesla's the 7th VIN digit indicated what kind of on-board charger was installed at the factory (one or two), as well as if the car was supercharger enabled. But even Tesla sold upgrades from one on-board charger to two, as well as enabling supercharging, either (or both) of which would conflict with the VIN from the factory.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Someone doesn't understand jest.......

Obviously it's not illegal. But a VIN is a vehicle identifier. Traits that can be easily modified aren't descriptive by the VIN. An On-Board charger and supercharge eligibility aren't easily modified by third parties. Tesla, perhaps, but even then it's not an identifiable trait that's important to insurance / law enforcement. You're arguing with yourself over there.

You should be less serious. Relax my friend.