Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I can't believe I actually needed summon two weeks into having the S...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my HS frosh daughter has an away soccer game this past Friday afternoon. Earlier in the day I had taken my MS for the 1st time courtesy wash at the detailer who wrapped and coated the car two weeks ago. They do this for QC two weeks after the wrap / coat to ensure that all the seams took etc. It has been so dreary in Chicago that I was anxious to do it Friday as the weekend was forecasted to be beautiful. So for the first time in two weeks- the length of time I've owned the car, the car was clean and it was sunny- the car looked SPECTACULAR. I drove to the High School soccer game, found what i believed to be a safe spot, and backed in.

Long story short, after the game I come out, and some smart ass kid has parked his or her jeep wrangler (cliche chicago north shore teen car), within literally 6 inches of my driver's side door.

As I get to the car I noticed some folks kind of taking note of the fact that my car is in a pinch and they are watching for my reaction. My older daughter gets in the passenger seat and right before I tell her I have to climb across, I remember the summon feature, which i had used once to shock my kids. At about this time, one of the varsity team parents I know is looking for a spot and pulls up, compliments me on the car, and waits for my spot. She of course is both laughing and smirking about my situation.

I decide it's time to put on a show. I tell her to wait- she is broadside right in front of my car in the lane of traffic I have to pull into. . .about 15 feet in front of my car's nose.

I pull out my phone and hit the summon button which proceeds to roll the car out of the spot directly at the varsity mom's car. I smile at her and watch as her jaw drops.

I pull the driver's side door handle having just cleared the jeep's bumper, climb in and make my somewhat dramatic exit among a bunch of gawkers. I hope one was the punk kid that boxed me in.

Wish I had my daughter film it. It was truly hilarious. Would have been funnier next weekend after dashcam installation, so I could find the kid, but whatever.

PS, and no, the kid was at least kind enough to not ding me. He or she had to climb out the passenger side. Lots of admirers gave me the thumbs up on the way out, as there were baseball, LAX and soccer events going on- was a zoo. What a great moment. Lol.

Awesome. Summon is definitely one of those features that is typically used for showing off until you really do need it. I had a similar situation happen without all of the gawkers staring, and it (summon) reminded me of how truly technologically advanced our cars are.

Reactions: Sully's8
That's a great story, Tesla's technology makes it easy to pull off some smooth moves like that. I have used Summon often at work, as the EV spots are squeezed into the corner of the basement of the garage and I have to back in right up along the wall. It's no problem in the morning pulling in, but if I offer to give a co-worker a lift home, they can't open the passenger door. So walking out to the garage I have the app open to put on the climate control anyway, and as soon as I unplug, I'll summon it forward and we both get in. Not as awkward of a situation as you had but still a great satisfaction to use it!

But the first time I used it was this winter during a heavy snowfall. I backed into the driveway as the snow started, knowing we would have 6-12" by morning, so I parked at the end close to the street. By morning, it was snowed in and the doors buried, but all I had to do was shovel out the 5 feet in front of the car to the street. I had already started the heater with the app and then used Summon to pull it 15 feet or so out of the driveway into the road where I could get in. No one saw the performance but me, but probably was the most helpful trick it has done so far.

Used summon yesterday at a supermarket. Was parked further out, and close to a landscaped island, and had to squeeze out as the door was almost into the piled high mound of mulch.

Returning, I stood on the island curb at the front of the car, summoned forward into the pull through spot, and it dutifully turned to the right, veering away from me, enough to clear the island. Wife just shook her head.

i used summon in a real life situation yesterday also! not as dramatic though. i parallel parked in a metered street parking in LA, with a 2 hr limit. I did my stuff and went back to the car, and its right when my meter is expiring. there is a parking enforcement lady hovering, not maliciously, but just checking out the meters on the block. I say hi and strike up a conversation with her and ask about some reparking rules, etc. nice lady. she says technically you're supposed to re-park on another block, since limits are there to encourage turn over, but when there's a few spots empty on the same block they're not as strict on the rule. but def need to move my car at this point.

but i still have stuff to do! so there happens to be a spot right behind my car that opens up. so i ask her, "if i can move my car into that spot without driving the car, can you let me park on this street for another couple hours?" she says, "if you can do that, you can park for 2 hours for free"

i think you all know what happened next. =)

I can't believe how much I'm using summon, even though I don't have a garage, but rather just a TIGHT covered parking spot between another car and a concrete pole (pretty similar to a typical parking garage layout). The approach is perpendicular, so I have to make all the adjustments to align the car perfectly to back in, which basically means that I'm doing all the hard part of parking first, followed by summoning the car in reverse into the space. Still, I use it a lot - when loading/unloading more people or stuff, cleaning the interior, working on the interior, get better access to the trunk, and just this last week, when I needed to pull the car out/in to get our recycling bin to take to the street. That used to be so annoying to get in the car, pull forward, get out, move the bin, get in, re-park, get out. Now it is just a cheap car stunt. Love it! Yeah, first world problems. :(

I can't wait for intelligent and advanced summon/self-park, as well as normal perpendicular park.

Used summon like 2 weeks ago (Just to show off). Our neighbor know's absolutely nothing about Tesla's software update for HW2 car's. After 3 to 4 months of me waiting for him to receive his new "Luxury Sedan" he finally took delivery of it. And was showing his car off to his entire family. And was shouting across his yard saying "Compare your Tesla to this" And so I whipped out my Iphone and he was continuously teasing me. But when the garage opened he said "Leaving so soon?" And when he saw my Model S backing out without anyone in the drivers seat his mouth dropped:eek:. And I hopped right in and rolled down my window and said "Can your S-Class do this" And drove off laughing! He was pretty shocked!:D He is still trying to find things that his car can do but mine's can't. But it will probably take him forever to find one.:D

I have done this for crowds, except I use the key fob in my pocket and "talk" to the car. I call her by name, and her lights flash, then "back up, girl, back up, back up... whoa!" I have a number of people convinced I can summon the car with my voice. As a special sign of appreciation, a few people later backed out of their slot right next to my car and put spectacular scratches into it. I know, that's what I get for being a smart-a$$.

Used summon like 2 weeks ago (Just to show off). Our neighbor know's absolutely nothing about Tesla's software update for HW2 car's. After 3 to 4 months of me waiting for him to receive his new "Luxury Sedan" he finally took delivery of it. And was showing his car off to his entire family. And was shouting across his yard saying "Compare your Tesla to this" And so I whipped out my Iphone and he was continuously teasing me. But when the garage opened he said "Leaving so soon?" And when he saw my Model S backing out without anyone in the drivers seat his mouth dropped:eek:. And I hopped right in and rolled down my window and said "Can your S-Class do this" And drove off laughing! He was pretty shocked!:D He is still trying to find things that his car can do but mine's can't. But it will probably take him forever to find one.:D
I for one can name one feature that my non-luxury car had that my Tesla doesn't...I miss my seat and steering wheel moving when I open the door to allow for easy entry/exit. Not the end of the world not having it, but I certainly hope a software upgrade in the future will allow this to happen.

I for one can name one feature that my non-luxury car had that my Tesla doesn't...I miss my seat and steering wheel moving when I open the door to allow for easy entry/exit. Not the end of the world not having it, but I certainly hope a software upgrade in the future will allow this to happen.

You are in luck. Create an exit driver profile. Set your key fob to that profile. Select exit before you leave and your profile at you're in.

Well there is definitely one thing his can do better: BROWSE HIS FRIKKIN BLUETOOTH PLAYLISTS AND SONGS IN HIS MEDIA PLAYER

sorry for yelling, I'm still worked up from my rant in the media player thread lol

• Funny
Long story short, after the game I come out, and some smart ass kid
has parked his or her jeep wrangler (cliche chicago north shore teen car),
within literally 6 inches of my driver's side door.
This happen to me few time.
I had a car touching my bumper on the back and I had only less than one foot
in the front between my car and the other car.

In general, after spending a lot of time, I was able to extract myself,
but I might have also damage one of my bumpers or one of the other cars bumper.
(If it has been at night, I might also had left a "little souvenir" with my key to the car blocking me...:) Oups!)

If your car get boxed, can you call the police?
Would the other car(s) get a ticket?
Would the police call a tow truck to move the other car(s)?

Note: From the following article: Ask the Parking Guru: Another Driver Boxed Me In, What Can I Do?
- Unless you can prove that you bumper has been damaged, or if one of the car has unpaid tickets,
the police will not do anything.

Last edited:
Mostly I've just used it as a parlor trick to impress; and it certainly does. Yesterday though I was sitting at an outdoor watering hole with a clear view of my parked car, which I had placed in an iffy wedge shaped spot in front of a regulation space. The car parked behind me left, so I whipped out my iPhone and backed her up smack dab square into the real parking spot. Even though I had done this stealthily, a couple of people sitting at another table were dumbfounded that my car "knew" the spot came open and moved itself into it. I pretended not to notice and said nothing to dispel their awe of a "magic car". :eek:

I tried Summon again this weekend and it was slightly off center and it adjusted it just fine. A lot less nervous this time going in. It even successfully closed the garage door behind itself. It still does NOT open the garage when heading out. Works when I press the button in the car, so clearly something is up. Touched garage door first time (T logo scratched slightly by handle on garage door) (would've slowly plowed into it had I not aborted with fob), all other tests aborted if car moved without opening garage door.