Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I can't believe the Model S is real.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had not heard of this. I have always held BMW in the highest respect, but this is absurdly hilarious!

Actually afaik it is not just BMW that is augmenting the engine sound by using the sound system in certain models.
And by the way, EU polititians (who else?) are talking at the moment about making artificial sounds for EV's mandatory here - at least at low speeds, for reasons of pedestrian safety. Not that this is the same matter of course.

But I would hate it if I had an EV like the Model S which is so silent, and then have to have that silence ruined by artifical (engine or whatever) noises. Urgh.

And by the way, EU polititians (who else?) are talking at the moment about making artificial sounds for EV's mandatory here - at least at low speeds, for reasons of pedestrian safety. Not that this is the same matter of course.

But I would hate it if I had an EV like the Model S which is so silent, and then have to have that silence ruined by artifical (engine or whatever) noises. Urgh.
Unfortunately, the nannies in Washington have already passed this requirement into law in the US. Fortunately for us, the Department of Transportation hasn't promulgated the regulations to implement the law yet, so our Model Ss will be silent...for a time.
This topic has been discussed over at Pedestrian alert noise and Auto minimum sound level

Downright ridiculous! The ICErs are desperate to keep folks interested with such childish gimmicks.

While not as ridiculous my GTI has what is lovingly referred to as a 'noise pipe' where intake noise is piped directly into the cabin. It is a common modification to plug it, as removing it is quite difficult. I hate it, when I drive my mother in law around I feel like my car has an internal jet engine.

Noise Pipe Delete/Plug Mod DIY - VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com