Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I can't handle it! - A Rant

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Nick77

Deep Blue Model 3 LR (2021 MIC)
Mar 15, 2020
Burton-on-Trent
OK. Who came up with the designs for the door handles on these cars?

I've genuinely lost count of the number of times I've had to wind the window down and explain to people how to open the car door. I've probably had 10-15 different people in the car since I bought it and EVERY single one couldn't work out how to get in first time. Young and old alike.

And then there's getting out again. You have to explain and constantly re-iterate that you have to press the button to open the doors from the inside. Several times now they've pulled the handle instead, bringing up the warning on screen. And who the hell designs a car door operation that has a risk of shattering the window glass upon closing if its not opened a certain way?

Why make something as simple and long standing in people's psyche like car door handles so counter-intuitive?

In 5 months of ownership there are some very minor issues that don't bother me but this one is just stupid design.

Last edited:
OK. Who came up with the designs for the door handles on these cars?

I've genuinely lost count of the number of times I've had to wind the window down and explain to people how to open the car door. I've probably had 10-15 different people in the car since I bought it and EVERY single one couldn't work out how to get in first time. Young and old alike.

And then there's getting out again. You have to explain and constantly re-iterate that you have to press the button to open the doors from the inside. Several times now they've pulled the handle instead, bringing up the warning on screen. And who the hell designs a car door operation that has a risk of shattering the window glass upon closing if its not opened a certain way?

Why make something as simple and long standing in people's psyche like car door handles so counter-intuitive?

In 5 months of ownership there are some very minor issues that don't bother me but this one is just stupid design.
Pax. One of the first unnecessary add-ons I bought, even before the car was delivered, was little glow-in-the-dark stickers that show an open door icon. I stuck them down on the door release button. Never a problem since. Yeah, sure, Tesla could have done more than the measly little LED stripe. Spending a few quid after the wad dropped on the car was de minimus.

Now, ladies that have expensively-groomed talons in place of their fingernails may have a valid issue with the exterior handles...

I've got a 2021 Model 3 that has illuminated buttons with icons that show a door opening, and I still have people ask me how to get out, and I've had people pull the emergency release.

My mother has been in this car and my previous Model 3 and still closely examines the door handle to see where the button is - she lacks muscle memory, it seems.

I've found people find it easier to work out the exterior handles. I've only had a few who throw up their shoulders and need my help to open the door from the outside.

I've got a 2021 Model 3 that has illuminated buttons with icons that show a door opening, and I still have people ask me how to get out, and I've had people pull the emergency release.

My mother has been in this car and my previous Model 3 and still closely examines the door handle to see where the button is - she lacks muscle memory, it seems.

I've found people find it easier to work out the exterior handles. I've only had a few who throw up their shoulders and need my help to open the door from the outside.

Just about the only hint given by our less than overwhelming collection briefing was "use your right hand for driver's door, left hand for the passenger side"

Manual read and semi-memorised before collection (even tho only the US version was available at the time) ;-)

The secret is to have no friends.

I would tend to agree, from an ergonomics point of view a button or another unconventional control to open the door wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't an actual pull handle - the thing everyone is intimately familiar with - right there, in the place you would expect the handle to be, tempting you to pull it. People will naturally default to what they're used to.

Why the emergency release can't be somewhere less obvious I don't know. It could be underneath that part of the door and it would be just as effective, but would also be obviously the wrong thing to use to open the door normally.

It's dumb design and I'm surprised it hasn't changed with refreshes to be honest.

In terms of the glass - I guess the logic is that if you've used the emergency release you don't care about the state of the glass, assuming it's even still there. It's not intended for normal operation.

I don't know why they don't set it so that the emergency release also triggers the normal door opening mechanism. That way, if someone pulls it by mistake the door will open normally, but itll still work if there's no power.
I presume the emergency release is fully mechanical? if you make it "check" for other things before working, or changing how it works, then there is perhaps a chance it might not work at all?

I always assumed the emergency release was a direct physical connection to the latch and the car complaining about it after the fact is because it knows the door has opened without the door open button having been pressed.

Reactions: M3noob