Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I can't handle it! - A Rant

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think we will never agree on it as fundamentally I don’t think it’s ok to have to explain how to get out (even as little as once per new passenger), you both think it is ok to have to explain it. We just have to accept that we are differing in this.
Maybe its just some of us can't relate to the same issue you are having. There is two sides to a coin. Personally, I agree to disagree, live and let live, its no big deal 🙂

I would not be surprised if one day there is no button nor handle, the door knows to open because you look at it or think it and it knows it's safe to open. That could be the ultimate in user interface, it's intuitive because it knows what you want and not whether you know how to use it.

That generation may well look back and laugh at having to share handles and buttons, what a way to spread germs - oh hang on.

This thread reminds me of a friend of mine who lives in San Francisco. Bought a new Model S, and was driving home when a woman stepped off the curb and started fumbling with the car door. He rolled the window down to hear, "How the H*** do you get these doors open??" Evidently street walkers just wait on a corner until a nice car pulls up at the light, then pops the door open and sits down. Didn't work, and at least one fellow was glad.

Reactions: Nick77
I would not be surprised if one day there is no button nor handle, the door knows to open because you look at it or think it and it knows it's safe to open. That could be the ultimate in user interface, it's intuitive because it knows what you want and not whether you know how to use it.

That generation may well look back and laugh at having to share handles and buttons, what a way to spread germs - oh hang on.
You mean after a couple of decades of sometimes refusing to open at night or when it’s raining or randomly flinging the doors open on the motorway or not working at all when you lose mobile signal coverage?🤣

The Mach-E would explode the heads of some folk on here...

Mach-e: Absolutely fine.

Screenshot 2021-11-17 at 08.32.45.png

Don't like the Mach-e front door handle at all. Like the actuators, though they look clunky. Rear handle is OK and that is how I open the M3 rtear doors.
The outside doors are definitely worse than the Model 3, but there is only one button, so there's not much there to mislead people. Weird but not difficult to figure out by yourself.

At least there's an actual problem to solve by rethinking the exterior handles of a car: Traditional handles cause drag.
Where as there's absolutely no problem with interior handles (unlike manual window winders, not least of the problems being getting obstructed by the AA road map in the door pocket 😝).

Last edited:
If Tesla made the handle symmetrical (large bit on both ends) with a pivot in the middle, that way you could flip it open at either end. There'd just be an actuator at both ends which opened the door from either way you did it.

Would solve the problem of which hand you used or which angle you came at it from. It might look a bit less "handle like" though, so could still confuse.

The manual doesn't say that anymore as a software update made it now drops the glass when you use the emergency release. Also on newer models they added an illuminated icon to the door open switch.

How many people here are getting exercised over something that changed quite some time ago.
So the emergency pull handle won't damage the window now as it drops the glass down slightly? I'll have to check that on my 2021 MIC refresh then as it still gives the warning message of possible damage on screen.

The illuminated button helps, especially at night, but people still fumble around asking how to open the door.

Reactions: Neilio