Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I can't imagine - What will part 2 bring?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys, they are not going to announce a new vehicle. Part 2 is all about the Model 3 shown in Part 1.

If they were expecting part 2 to double the reservations(Elons Tweet), then only a second model would do that (IMO).

Simply announcing more details about option packages wouldn't double reservations.

I think Model Y will be a lot closer to the Model 3, than the Model X is to Model S.

I expect Model Y will just be a slight body variation on the Model 3. Same exact wheelbase, same exact front end, same batteries, drivetrains everything. Just a slight roof extension and a hatch, maybe standard AWD and higher price tag. Slightly less Aero, so ~200 mile range. The Reason why Model 3 is targeting 215 mile range, is that the shared base pack is targeting 200 mile range in crossover version.

Though,the surprising results, might make them hold off on part 2, until they feel then need more reservations.

Reactions: 1208
Last time, 'part 2' essentially was the specs and the introduction to supercharging. I'd expect something revolutionary and consistent with the mission to be introduced. Battery tech, rapid refueling, and solid specs on stuff like acceleration and luxury features

Is anyone else concerned that with the enormous number of reservations far exceeding what Elon and Tesla anticipated, that they may have to modify/remove some options in the initial M3 in order to produce vehicles faster?
No. Elon has said the will ship highly optioned vehicles first to maximize revenue. Why would they remove options and reduce the price of those highly optioned vehicles?

Link for this?
Elon Musk predicts a Tesla will be able to drive itself across the country in 2018

Reactions: ikjadoon
No, I don't think the incredible number of 3 reservations will cause the design to be simplified or some options be eliminated. It will simply mean that Tesla won't be able to finish building all the pre-ordered 3's for years unless another factory is built.

It seems possible that by the end of 2017 there will be over half a million Model 3 reservations, and once the cars start to appear on the road in 2018 orders will continue to build as word spreads and more and more people see them in real life. I think this will result in Tesla announcing a second factory location in the eastern US with construction of it starting in 2018. Otherwise Tesla will never catch up with demand.

No way they'll put a second factory in the US before they put one in Europe and one in China.

Fremont #1
#2 = EU or China
#3 = whichever wasn't number 2
#4 can be your second US assuming it isn't in India
#5 can be whichever wasn't number 4.

I'm probably crazy for thinking this, but I think there will be a reduction in base price.

Elon replied to a tweet about reducing the base price by $1 for Washington cars with "of course :)" Maybe I'm reading into it too much. The most common thing to increase demand of something is to lower its price. I'm thinking it's going to be reduced by more than $1.

Powerwall 2.0 is supposed to come out this summer. I am very curious as to what the change(s) will be. If there is a breakthrough in battery technology that reduces the cost below $100/kWh, that would be huge. This is all speculation, but if the price of the Powerwall is reduced dramatically, I expect the base price of the Model 3 could be reduced as well.

Sorry to sound mundane but I believe the purpose of Elon's 'part 1 of 2' was primarily to set expectation that the reveal would be light on details and even those are subject to change. I expect part two will fill in the details: eg battery size, features, option packages etc once they are pinned down in a year or so. Hopefully they are keeping a surprise bonus or two back but I wouldn't depend on it.

The most natural "Next Level" announcement for part 2 would be enhancements in Autopilot. And I think it could be on the way to fully autonomous, certainly I think they can make the technology to do it. Regulatory and legal questions remain though.

I think the most likely Part 2 reveal would contain more advanced autopilot, HUD, and more (but not all) info about specs and options. It sounds like Tesla assumed people wouldn't want to plunk down their money until they offered actual details instead of rolling out a prototype that may or may not look like the final version and that Part 2 would clear it up.

Of course, my first thought when I read that tweet and response was, "What's Part 2‽ Is it going to fly?????"

The assumption of another model release doubling reservations doesn't make sense to me because he was talking about Model 3 reservations. If they're marketing another completely different car, they're splitting focus. Lots of speculation on the forums already about how 3 pricing will differ from S pricing to keep 3 from cannibalizing S sales, so why would they want the Y to cannibalize 3 sales?

If Part 2 (of the Model 3 reveal) was the Y, then there's the question of people transferring reservations and holding off until more details regarding both are released. That sounds like it would be a lot more confusing and complicated than keeping the focus on the 3. Whatever the Y is, there's a reason that they put so much emphasis and priority on the 3 first.

For some reason, I don't think I'm going to want whatever the Y is more than the 3. I'm picturing a small true hatchback, maybe like what people were saying they wanted as opposed to the notchback 3. But then that makes you wonder - would such a small difference be worth naming an entirely new vehicle or just a different body style of the same vehicle?

Tl;dr idek.

Reactions: BBryson
I think the most likely Part 2 reveal would contain more advanced autopilot, HUD, and more (but not all) info about specs and options. It sounds like Tesla assumed people wouldn't want to plunk down their money until they offered actual details instead of rolling out a prototype that may or may not look like the final version and that Part 2 would clear it up.

Of course, my first thought when I read that tweet and response was, "What's Part 2‽ Is it going to fly?????"

The assumption of another model release doubling reservations doesn't make sense to me because he was talking about Model 3 reservations. If they're marketing another completely different car, they're splitting focus. Lots of speculation on the forums already about how 3 pricing will differ from S pricing to keep 3 from cannibalizing S sales, so why would they want the Y to cannibalize 3 sales?

If Part 2 (of the Model 3 reveal) was the Y, then there's the question of people transferring reservations and holding off until more details regarding both are released. That sounds like it would be a lot more confusing and complicated than keeping the focus on the 3. Whatever the Y is, there's a reason that they put so much emphasis and priority on the 3 first.

For some reason, I don't think I'm going to want whatever the Y is more than the 3. I'm picturing a small true hatchback, maybe like what people were saying they wanted as opposed to the notchback 3. But then that makes you wonder - would such a small difference be worth naming an entirely new vehicle or just a different body style of the same vehicle?

Tl;dr idek.
Part II definitely referred to more details about the mode 3. Things like pricing , speed, battery, and how the instrument panel / HUD will work. If there was any talk about the model Y, I bet that will be pushed back now. They have a huge product that needs production sooner than later to keep up with demand. They've probably internally made a decision focus on the 3 now

Its really not that difficult if they are essentially considered the hatchback and sedan version of the same car. After they reveal the second variation, they could simply have one list for both, and you choose which one you want at configuration time. No hassles about transferring reservations etc. Lots of cars ship with two or more version right out of the gate. Easy Peasy.

But after reading more Elon Tweets, I agree, this is not what Part 2 is about, it just more details about the sedan (Yawn).

Its really not that difficult if they are essentially considered the hatchback and sedan version of the same car. After they reveal the second variation, they could simply have one list for both, and you choose which one you want at configuration time. No hassles about transferring reservations etc. Lots of cars ship with two or more version right out of the gate. Easy Peasy.

But after reading more Elon Tweets, I agree, this is not what Part 2 is about, it just more details about the sedan (Yawn).

That was why I brought up my last point- is the Y going to just be the hatchback version of the 3, or is it going to be a totally different type of car? Are we going to call it "sedan 3" and "hatch 3" with a totally separate Y? *shrug*

I don't know if his has been mentioned yet, but I was thinking part 2 could be the announcment of a wagon as an option. I mean, that would be the same model (as opposed to model Y that some have suggested). It could easily double anmount of reservations as Elon said and still be a model 3.

Reactions: Newb