Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I can't imagine - What will part 2 bring?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they were expecting part 2 to double the reservations(Elons Tweet), then only a second model would do that (IMO).

Interesting.

At the current rate that Elon is tweeting, there won't be anything left to announce UNLESS they are expecting even higher cost savings from the Gigafactory. This may get passed on as a higher spec base model 3 for the same $35k.

I don't know if his has been mentioned yet, but I was thinking part 2 could be the announcment of a wagon as an option. I mean, that would be the same model (as opposed to model Y that some have suggested). It could easily double anmount of reservations as Elon said and still be a model 3.

Oh how I'd love this to be the case. I'm afraid the Model 3 is going to be a conventional sedan, unless additional variants are part of "Part 2" which I kind of doubt.

Better to explain using pictures. Here are examples of why some of us speculate about Model Y in Part 2 of the unveil.

In the pic below, the rightmost frame has 2 silhouettes with one of them being the already unveiled Model 3. Is this a hint of another automobile announcement in the near future?
model-3-model-y.jpg

The rightmost clay model is that of the Model 3, it seems. So what is that other clay model doing here? It's obvious that Tesla is designing two separate cars at the same time.
tesla-design-studio-screen-cap-1.jpg

My guess:
MobileEye 2.0 hardware and the benefits of the new battery tech: faster (un-)load specs meaning: supercharging to 80% in 10 minutes and acceleration from 0 to 120mph in 10 seconds :)

I agree with others who are pretty certain that the part 2 is going to be filling in the blanks with the model 3, particularly regarding the control system and dashboard, which Musk has even tweeted about saying that what we've seen is not the real thing, and the real thing being "like sitting in a spaceship".

I expect Part 2 of the Model 3 unveil to fully reveal the control system and display, which has been held back specifically because it is going to be a big deal.

With Musk being such a proponent of autonomous driving, as well as state of the art functionality, with OTA updates and futureproof hardware configurations, I fully expect we'll be told that the base model, initial production model of the model 3 will be fully capable of full autonomous driving, level 5. With a stowable steering 'wheel'.

If he is confident that autonomous driving is only a few years away, there's no way he won't future proof the model 3. He will make sure the design and the hardware will be designed for autonomous driving, so that once it is ready to be rolled out over the air, the model 3 will have everything it needs, and will in fact feel that it was designed for it.

So, I envision a stowable steering system, with some form of flat space in front of the driver to act as a desk or worktop. HUD display information might well be included, but as others have said, the centre screen is sufficient.

The other big part of unveil part 2 will be the details of the AWD performance versions' specs and capabilities.

Showing how advanced, and how future-proofed the model 3 is, as well as how fast and awesome you can make it if you're willing to spend a bit more, will be the kind of reveal that Elon could expect to double or quadruple reservation numbers!

In the pic below, the rightmost frame has 2 silhouettes with one of them being the already unveiled Model 3. Is this a hint of another automobile announcement in the near future?
Not just a "hint", but an obvious reference to the fact that there will be a CUV version of the 3 just like there was a CUV version of the S. Elon has been pretty clear about that. What we don't know is what the timing will be of the release of the CUV 3. I don't really expect it to be at the same time as the 3 sedan because there is simply no reason for Tesla to do that given the unprecedented demand and reservation numbers for the 3 sedan. Why complicate the 3 sedan production launch by trying to build two significantly different versions of the 3 platform simultaneously? There is no compelling reason to do so that I can think of. Of course I'm not an automotive engineer...

...there is simply no reason for Tesla to do that given the unprecedented demand and reservation numbers for the 3 sedan. Why complicate the 3 sedan production launch by trying to build two significantly different versions of the 3 platform simultaneously? There is no compelling reason to do so that I can think of. Of course I'm not an automotive engineer...
I just want to be able to choose between different models. Is this selfish reason not compelling enough? ;)

Seriously Elon had said that the Model 3 won't look like other cars. Now I believe he's referring to the Model Y. It would really suck to have to wait an additional year or two after M3 production release. That would make it the 2019-2020 timeframe if there are no delays.

Just sayin.

Reactions: HillCountryFun
"The model 3 won't look like other cars":

Strange grill-less front
full glass roof, front to back
spaceship-like control system.
After listening to Elon for several years, I've learned that whenever he uses superlatives (such as "won't look like other cars") he means serious business. Mind you, he usually says stuff in an understated manner, so I wouldn't take those superlatives lightly.

I would not classify the Model 3 as not looking like other cars. But for that half-and-half clay model in the pic posted above, I would.

From the DAI:

Many of you have mentioned this [insert appropriate noun] referred to as HUD. Google is NOT my friend. It mentions Housing and Urban Development (thank you very much; I performed HUD audits decades ago.) It also mentions the movie starring Paul Newman, Melvyn Douglas and Patricia Neal (thank you very much; I saw that movie when it was released in '63 and again on television.) Good movie, by the way.

So, I am guessing it stands for Heavy Utility Dinglearm that connects to the spline release on the concentric flummulator?

Sorry, I refuse to pore through thousands of pages of random search results which may or may not be relevant, since I have absolutely no idea what this [insert appropriate noun] is.

It would be wonderful if the smart people here would occasionally take a step back and bring us card-carrying members of the DAI up to speed with whatever the topic du jour happens to be.

May your thoughfulness be repaid in kind!

• Funny
Reactions: pmich80 and Bimbels
That means Tesla has an extra $126million in CASH they weren't planning on. I hope that helps speed up production!!!

More importantly, they have access to more capital as they can borrow against future sales! They just locked in sales of roughly $6.3B in new business. 200,000 reservations x $42,000 average cost w/ options x 0.75 conversion rate. Source of capital for additional Giga factories and manufacturing plants! Chaching! EM's twitter storm probably secured an additional 50,000 pre-orders alone! Not too shabby for an opening weekend!

Huge that this got done prior to the presidential election - no telling what a new administration will do to subsidies/incentives of renewables and environmental guidelines.

So what is that other clay model doing here? It's obvious that Tesla is designing two separate cars at the same time.

That wouldn't surprise me at all. I am guessing they have 3 or 4 designs in the works right now. It takes a long time to get to the Model 3 stage. I bet they are working on new roadster, model S redesign, model X redesign, model Y design, etc...

snip

So, I envision a stowable steering system, with some form of flat space in front of the driver to act as a desk or worktop. HUD display information might well be included, but as others have said, the centre screen is sufficient.

The other big part of unveil part 2 will be the details of the AWD performance versions' specs and capabilities.

Showing how advanced, and how future-proofed the model 3 is, as well as how fast and awesome you can make it if you're willing to spend a bit more, will be the kind of reveal that Elon could expect to double or quadruple reservation numbers!

This! and perhaps the seemingly "empty" space behind the steering wheel will be the cavity in which the wheel will retract into while in autopilot. Not completely hidden, just flush with the dash and out of the way - it could spring back into place in emergency situations. The wheel would need to be oblong for this to work (fit within the hight of the dash), which the prototype certainly hinted at. Just a thought, but may not be that farfetched!

Reactions: BBryson