TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

I can't locate a very annoying rattle.

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Oyinko, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Oyinko

Oyinko Member

My Model 3 has been developing a very annoying rattle over the last few months. It's something I have never heard of before... and it's starting to annoy me :)

Unfortunately I can't pin point its exact location but I believe it's coming from inside the cabine around the rear right side. I've tried to reproduce it by touching all the different pieces in the car without any luck.

Please have a look at the video to hear it.

Any idea what could cause this rattle?

2. Tessaract

Tessaract Member

I've had a few annoying rattles which turned out to be: 1) lady's purse clasp contacting car door making a clicking sounds 2) water bottle in car door convenience tray rubbing against door 3) tire pressure gauge in mid console tray rolling/bouncing around. I'd check all the storage areas for loose items and remove them, then listen again.

• Like x 1
  3. Need

Need Active Member

It's probably something that you put into the car. Check your trunk, door pockets, center console storage, and glovebox.

4. dmurphy

dmurphy Woof.

Try buckling the front passenger seat belt. The buckle has a tendency to rattle against the side of the seat... see if that clears it up. Worth a shot - nice and easy.

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  5. acarney

acarney Active Member

I’ve got a rattle coming from what sounds like the back as well. Without looking back my brain would say it’s around the level of the speakers... but I haven’t invested much.

• Like x 1
  6. Oyinko

Oyinko Member

Thanks for your inputs. Of course I made sure it's not coming from loose objects in the car. It's also not coming from the seatbelts as I'm having the same issue when I have passengers in the car.

7. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Active Member

I couldn't tell from the video but if it's something rolling around inside the door it may be a broken panel clip. I had 4 or 5 of them.

• Informative x 1
  8. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

try driving with both rear seats folded down and see if the rattle is still there.

9. icetoev

icetoev Member

take off the door panels and secure everything behind there with tape. I had a similar noise in the front passenger door. The place where the speaker grille meets the door panel was rattling. I taped it with some tesa tape and it is gone

10. RB88

RB88 Member

Hard to tell but is it a settling/low rattle when you go over certain bumps in the road? I have one of those coming from the rear passenger side. Seats down does seem to reduce it a little. Got service set up on Monday but I'm sure they won't be able to reproduce it sigh.

11. Oyinko

Oyinko Member

Yes exactly happens when I go to some specific bumps.

12. KenC

KenC Active Member

Are you sure it's not coming from under the floor? Was there an issue with a metal strap in the past causing clicks?

13. devilmountain

devilmountain Member

My rear seats rattled when latched, I covered the metal in felt tape and that fixed the issue.

I also had an annoying plastic sounding rattle coming from my door panel. It took some time but discovered it was coming from the interior handle where it attaches to the door panel. I put some padding in there and the noise is gone.

14. acarney

acarney Active Member

I kind of been wondering that. I'm not 100% sure, but I feel like it only showed up the first time I lowered the rear seats and then latched them again....

15. Nogasmn

Nogasmn Member

There is an app that outputs different sound frequencies, there was a post last week about using it to find rattles. I would try that to recreate while stopped that way you can hunt around for it.

16. who.m3

who.m3 Member

It's interesting how we take a look at these things with quiet running cars. I've had two issues with noise since ownership; 1. paper rattling in the vent 2. Occasional wind noise.

I had some other issues during my first service, so when I included the paper rattle, they found that one of the labels was flapping away. I assume that it also restuck itself which caused the inconsistency. So when they took things apart, they moved the label somewhere else.

For the weird wind noise I was getting for a few months, apparently the quarter panels by the mirrors were separating (somehow they managed to get warped) which left gaps.

Both instances, service center fixed it under warranty.

17. BobAbooey

BobAbooey Member

maybe this will help ....

• Like x 2
  18. Dan203

Dan203 Active Member

One annoying rattle I have is the passenger seatbelt. When no one is in the car the buckle lines up perfect with the plastic bit on the side of the seat and the bump together constantly. If I move the passenger seat all the way back it prevents it, but that's inconvenient when someone wants to sit in the back because they need some leg room. The other option I've resorted to is actually buckling the passenger seatbelt when no one is in the car.

19. animorph

animorph Active Member

We had mobile service out to fix a rattle/creak from the right rear. We were able to tame it by stuffing towels between the door panel and the seat. Mobile service guy took the door panel off, couldn't find anything, and put it back on. It hasn't rattled since.

20. SpudLime

SpudLime Active Member

i was about to comment the same thing. The thread was pretty good at explaining how the guy found his rattles.