Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I can't reset the TPMS error message on my Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't know what sensors you have, but I picked up a tapcon (concrete construction screw) in my wheel three days ago. I HEARD the thing in the tread right away so I know where I got it, but had to stop for 5 minutes to pick something up at a store. When I started off again - heading right for a Costco 3 miles away - to get it fixed, the Continental sensors were already alerting and I had a message on the dash about it. I could actively watch the pressure depleting as I was driving.

I made it to the Costco with 10 psi in the tire, only to discover that their "automagical" tire compressor thing in the parking lot DOESN'T WORK if your tire has less than 15 psi in it. They wouldn't fix it unless I made an appointment - so I did, and had to fill it WAY up (75 psi) just to get home so I could plug it myself.

I'm glad I did, b/c at the appointed time, they then refused to fix the tire because "the front tires have alignment wear" (the hole is in a back tire, and NO they don't have uneven wear) that supposedly the genius could point out from 10 feet away from the car. I'm NOT happy with that particular tire department, I've had hit-or-miss results from them before. Oh, but in not fixing my tire, they DID manage to let out the air I had put in, to lower it back to 45psi. I prefer to run sidewall max on my cars. No matter what you tell them, they will ALWAYS reset the pressures, which is another annoyance.

At least the plug I installed is holding.

I've had this problem for years. Mobile Ranger said get new sensors. This device , program sensors, install on wheel, install tire. Test mount tire on car, do a TPMS RESET. It worked. Reset successful.

Attachments

• IMG_20221027_083615.jpg
    IMG_20221027_083615.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 79
Reactions: tesluv108
I had apt at SC yesterday, it went no where. She insisted I had bad sensors. I proved they were new. It got worse. Wanted my car for week to diagnose. Not give me loaner. She had ZERO technical knowledge about the TPMS system. I left. Sent Elon a tweet.

I had apt at SC yesterday, it went no where. She insisted I had bad sensors. I proved they were new. It got worse. Wanted my car for week to diagnose. Not give me loaner. She had ZERO technical knowledge about the TPMS system. I left. Sent Elon a tweet.
I’m wondering if you tried my method? Have someone sit in the car with the car and systems active while you put air in the tires. The sensors wouldn’t go off until I did this

I have an automatic air pump that seems to do a really good job if setting a precise pressure. Used it to inflate the tires to the correct pressure and went for a drive. It immediately found the sensors.

My theory as to why they aren't syncing up for most people. It's just a theory, and could be wrong. When I bought my previous user model 3 the dash said the tire pressure was fine but when I eventually checked them manually they were all over the place. The "reset tpms" button assumed the pressure is exactly correct, and then calibrated whatever the TPMS was sending to the recommended pressure. This means that each tire was off by how much ever it was wrong by on install. I believe this is a case of Tesla trying to be a little too smart for their own good. Once correctly set the pressures and reset TPMS again, then the dash and measured pressures were the same.

So my advice is to get the pressure as close as possible and then try to reset it.

There was another person in this thread that mentioned setting the pressure and having them come up, and I followed their lead. Thanks to that person my issue was solved.

I bought same OEM senors, configured with a TPSM601. Tested fine. Reset fine at first. Then day later got same error. Still have it.
Another owner told me he bet the infotel upgrade to 2021 OS will not read 2012 version of car sensor,/antennas that reads tire senors? He bets the newer hardware is required in the car??

I have the continental tpms and bought new oem sensors for my aftermarket wheels, they read ok sometimes showing psi on each wheel but other times I get blank psi. Another problem I get is all the top row indicator lights blink on for 2 seconds randomly then turn off and then they blink again and repeat this as I drive.