Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I can't stand waiting for the S85D to become CPO!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seriously? He mentions it every thread.

Range, range, range, range, speed, range, degradation, supercharging, range. Did I mention range?

Yeah, I'm not sure why people think the 30 miles of extra range is so negligible. Last week i had to call uber to get me to my hotel from the l2 charger i found with 18 miles of range left. If i had a 70d i would have been calling a flatbed.
This was not due to lack of planning. It was after finding two offline chademo chargers.

Yeah, I'm not sure why people think the 30 miles of extra range is so negligible. Last week i had to call uber to get me to my hotel from the l2 charger i found with 18 miles of range left. If i had a 70d i would have been calling a flatbed.
This was not due to lack of planning. It was after finding two offline chademo chargers.

And missing an exit could mean 15 miles plus minus easily.
Or traffic. Or weather.

I'm with ya! The acceleration doesn't hurt either.
Thinking if I keep the car for 8 years, and can skip plane rides once a year in favor of driving, maybe its worth it.

i never do long drives. Maybe once I have a tesla I will?
Im so confused. Damn.

Step back and picture yourself in 2013 or early 2014. Would you have picked the S85 or the P85. The S85 was cheaper, but still exhilarating to drive. The P85 was in a different category even further ahead, but was more expensive. If at that time, you picked the P85, then now you should pick the 85D. If then you would have picked the S85 because it was enough, then today I would pick the 70D unless you planned to do many road trips.

Not it a perfect comparison, but still a decent one.

Okay, I changed mine to 85D.

No2DinosaurFuel, I don't know if I should thank you and beat you with a shoe. On one hand you just made me $10K poorer (that's 29 years of free ice cream at McDonalds if you are counting!).
On the other hand, I will enjoy faster acceleration, less chances of getting stranded, faster supercharger times, and greater possibilities of enjoying my Model S for longer ranges.
Slightly higher insurance cost (negligible), but I figured it this way, ..
In 8 years of ownership, counting depreciation, it's not 10K, it's more like 7K (lets say!)

Once a year, I could save on plane rides = 500 bucks a year
Not be forced to chage at J1772/Chademo or beg nissan or bmw dealers for their largesse - 200$ a year.
Not be forced to stay at an overpriced hotel because they have destination charging - $500 a year.

$1200 * 8 = almost 10k.

Sort of pays for itself. Even if it doesn't, here is one thing that nobody brought up (but I had been thinking of it .. cuz I'm smart!)...
Lets say I am visiting some place - most places I am visiting DONT have superchargers. There may be superchargers on the way though.
So the last leg, I can't count as 200 miles. I have to count the last leg as 100 miles (back and forth) - and that is, with no cushion, no juice to zip around the city,
And you're not going to run your car bone dry, you want 20-40 miles spare cushion just in case (weather/traffic/exit missed/ice cream on the way) .. etc.

The difference may not be 30, it may not be 50, its probably 40 though on highways.
And highways is where range matters anyway.

Plus I won't think twice now before jacking up the heat or AC, I'll be comfortable!

So I said, screw it, I don't like to waste $, but I can thankfully afford it. Lets go for the full Tesla experience, 85D it is.

Mine shows up early July per the DS .. I can't wait. Most of June I'm in Europe anyway, so not a big deal, even though I am so damned excited and just can't wait.

I do remember, when I test drove the 85D, my heart was racing. I think it'll be nice.

I need an ice cream now!

- - - Updated - - -

Step back and picture yourself in 2013 or early 2014. Would you have picked the S85 or the P85. The S85 was cheaper, but still exhilarating to drive. The P85 was in a different category even further ahead, but was more expensive. If at that time, you picked the P85, then now you should pick the 85D. If then you would have picked the S85 because it was enough, then today I would pick the 70D unless you planned to do many road trips.

Not it a perfect comparison, but still a decent one.

No no :).

I would have picked S85 even back then. But the top end depreciates like mad - its not worth it.
I however did not want a 2 wheel drive (front or rear) for another reason - I'm also getting a new house which will need a 4wheel drive to get to in the winters. D was a must for this guy.

Its just that technology moved so quickly that 85D is roughly equal to P85 now. So the D sort of tipped me over into buying a Tesla.

But if D wasn't an issue, last year, I would have gotten an S85. I still would not have gotten S60.

I did however consider a CPO P85 though, quite a good value for $ at this point. But I really wanted all 4 wheels powered :).

Last edited:
Okay, I changed mine to 85D.

No2DinosaurFuel, I don't know if I should thank you and beat you with a shoe. On one hand you just made me $10K poorer (that's 29 years of free ice cream at McDonalds if you are counting!).
On the other hand, I will enjoy faster acceleration, less chances of getting stranded, faster supercharger times, and greater possibilities of enjoying my Model S for longer ranges.
Slightly higher insurance cost (negligible), but I figured it this way, ..
In 8 years of ownership, counting depreciation, it's not 10K, it's more like 7K (lets say!)

Once a year, I could save on plane rides = 500 bucks a year
Not be forced to chage at J1772/Chademo or beg nissan or bmw dealers for their largesse - 200$ a year.
Not be forced to stay at an overpriced hotel because they have destination charging - $500 a year.

$1200 * 8 = almost 10k.

Sort of pays for itself. Even if it doesn't, here is one thing that nobody brought up (but I had been thinking of it .. cuz I'm smart!)...
Lets say I am visiting some place - most places I am visiting DONT have superchargers. There may be superchargers on the way though.
So the last leg, I can't count as 200 miles. I have to count the last leg as 100 miles (back and forth) - and that is, with no cushion, no juice to zip around the city,
And you're not going to run your car bone dry, you want 20-40 miles spare cushion just in case (weather/traffic/exit missed/ice cream on the way) .. etc.

The difference may not be 30, it may not be 50, its probably 40 though on highways.
And highways is where range matters anyway.

Plus I won't think twice now before jacking up the heat or AC, I'll be comfortable!

So I said, screw it, I don't like to waste $, but I can thankfully afford it. Lets go for the full Tesla experience, 85D it is.

Mine shows up early July per the DS .. I can't wait. Most of June I'm in Europe anyway, so not a big deal, even though I am so damned excited and just can't wait.

I do remember, when I test drove the 85D, my heart was racing. I think it'll be nice.

I need an ice cream now!

- - - Updated - - -

No no :).

I would have picked S85 even back then. But the top end depreciates like mad - its not worth it.
I however did not want a 2 wheel drive (front or rear) for another reason - I'm also getting a new house which will need a 4wheel drive to get to in the winters. D was a must for this guy.

Its just that technology moved so quickly that 85D is roughly equal to P85 now. So the D sort of tipped me over into buying a Tesla.

But if D wasn't an issue, last year, I would have gotten an S85. I still would not have gotten S60.

I did however consider a CPO P85 though, quite a good value for $ at this point. But I really wanted all 4 wheels powered :).

I think you will thank me later on. HAHAH

This decision is really up to each person. Some value somethings more than others. I just know I will be taking a crap load of road trips on my future S85D and keep in for a really long time. If the D was not around, the compromise would be the S85. The S85D, like you said, gives you a lot more than just the additional range. For me, those extra is not worth as much as the range increase. I still stand by my numbers of 50 miles in ideal condition between the S70D and the S85D. And like you said, you don't have to drive slower, you don't have to wait longer at supercharging station, you don't have to keep Climate control off, etc. That is a lot of things I am totally willing to pay $10K for because of my excessive road trips. Thanks for bringing up the idea of allowing you to cruise around town when you get there. With the S70D, you will be hard pressed and mostly hunting for charging point. I just value the peace of mind of my car able to complete the distance without me worrying much and that is well worth the $10K during road trips.

Now if someone who never does road trips, prefers to fly for those long distances, Rarely drive long distances but still want the luxury of a tesla, then I would definitely steer them to the S70D. The S85D would be an overkill and totally unnecessary. Go with the no frill solution and save the money for those flights instead.

Everyone's needs are different and you just have to make your decision that will benefit you the most.

Now that being said, the S85D is the best you can get now in terms of range. In the future, there will be better model S with much higher range and it will make the S85D inadequate, but the way I see it is, you make the decision with the choices presented to you at the time of your decision. There is always the option of waiting, but that have opportunity cost associated with it. So given your current situation and potential future plans and what not, you choose the best option that will cost you the least. Cost here is opportunity cost, time cost of waiting to charge, etc. Not just your typical monetary cost.

Enjoy your S85D! My timeline is I won't make my decision until the Model X comes out. I am sure they will have a bigger battery version Model S by then, and hopefully the S85D will drop in price and that is when I will jump in for the S85D. Moreover, my plan is to wait until the end of the year to get one always to capitalize on the Tax credit right away instead waiting for 1/2 a year if I get it.

As I've been reading this thread, did I mention that I am so happy I ordered the 85D? :)

Kutta, I am certain you will not regret it. I haven't even driven the 85D yet - only a P85D and a 70D - and I ordered it. It makes sense - range, performance, shorter SC time, and future-proofing against the Model 3.

- - - Updated - - -

Kutta, did you get one of these yet?

Your Model S has entered the production queue at our Factory in Fremont, California.

I've got like 93 days until delivery, but glad to see the status change. No more changes for me - I'm locked in.

I asked the wife yesterday, our last day to make changes, if she wanted to change anything and I got the "I'm ok if you're ok" response . . . damn I love the CFO/wife.

As I've been reading this thread, did I mention that I am so happy I ordered the 85D? :)

Kutta, I am certain you will not regret it. I haven't even driven the 85D yet - only a P85D and a 70D - and I ordered it. It makes sense - range, performance, shorter SC time, and future-proofing against the Model 3.

- - - Updated - - -

Kutta, did you get one of these yet?

Your Model S has entered the production queue at our Factory in Fremont, California.

I've got like 93 days until delivery, but glad to see the status change. No more changes for me - I'm locked in.

I asked the wife yesterday, our last day to make changes, if she wanted to change anything and I got the "I'm ok if you're ok" response . . . damn I love the CFO/wife.

My DS told me that mine should enter production in 2 weeks. I'm unavailable all of June anyway, so July is fine with me. :)
Good to have a supportive partner. My changes get locked in today. I reverted back to blue with black interior LOL.
Decided black was too much for me to keep clean. Pretty much locked in now though (also I removed subzero).

My DS told me that mine should enter production in 2 weeks. I'm unavailable all of June anyway, so July is fine with me. :)
Good to have a supportive partner. My changes get locked in today. I reverted back to blue with black interior LOL.
Decided black was too much for me to keep clean. Pretty much locked in now though (also I removed subzero).

Kutta, I think the subzero package is a great deal for only $1k. I'm laughing at you on the color - you went back and forth on that for a while! No gray interior? I thought you wanted that Apple look?