Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I can't wait for the next update! Phantom braking is driving me nuts.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Interesting, so 2021.24.11 doesn't have horrible phantom braking, but it does have weird visualizations on the center screen that portray a potential collision...

I doubt if it exists, but I would love there to be a web site that gives the "quirks" of each software iteration so people know weather or not to risk downloading the next one that pops up as available for their car.

Keith

Reactions: Iain
Only had MY for 1 week, but have been driving it quite a bit. It is a joy to drive. The only event I can think of that I have had was getting near sundown on the interstate the trees were casting shadows across the road and it slowed twice because of that. Otherwise everything has been working flawlessly so far. I'm not a big fan of auto brights on a divided highway so using AP at night Is kind of annoying on those roads. For many commutes, I must say, I enjoy being in control of the car anyway because it is so fun to drive.

Only had MY for 1 week, but have been driving it quite a bit. It is a joy to drive. The only event I can think of that I have had was getting near sundown on the interstate the trees were casting shadows across the road and it slowed twice because of that. Otherwise everything has been working flawlessly so far. I'm not a big fan of auto brights on a divided highway so using AP at night Is kind of annoying on those roads. For many commutes, I must say, I enjoy being in control of the car anyway because it is so fun to drive.
What software version? My car was fantastic on the initial "from the factory" software.

We need to get away from "the MY has great ABC and horrible XYZ" and move into a "Software iteration 2012.x.xx.xx has great ABC and horrible XYZ" mindset.

When I say that my car has horrible phantom braking some people seem to get defensive because I am insulting "their" car... I am not complaining about the car, I am complaining about the software... this is a much worse crime in the eyes of a true fanboy :D

Also, after activating AutoPilot you can turn off the Auto High Beam headlights using the left stalk.

Keith

What software version? My car was fantastic on the initial "from the factory" software.

We need to get away from "the MY has great ABC and horrible XYZ" and move into a "Software iteration 2012.x.xx.xx has great ABC and horrible XYZ" mindset.

When I say that my car has horrible phantom braking some people seem to get defensive because I am insulting "their" car... I am not complaining about the car, I am complaining about the software... this is a much worse crime in the eyes of a true fanboy :D

Also, after activating AutoPilot you can turn off the Auto High Beam headlights using the left stalk.

Keith

And thanks for the tip on turning off auto high beam. I thought that would disengage AP. I will give it a try.

Reactions: Iain
Well, I've just upgraded to 2021.32.21 and I'm hoping for some improvement in the Enhanced Autopilot / TACC, which behaved pretty poorly in my last version (2021.4.21.3) Unfortunately, it looks like it may only be an audio system improvement. Does anyone reliably know if they might have fixed some of the slowing-for-no-apparent-reason issues that cropped up in that last release?

Well, I've just upgraded to 2021.32.21 and I'm hoping for some improvement in the Enhanced Autopilot / TACC, which behaved pretty poorly in my last version (2021.4.21.3) Unfortunately, it looks like it may only be an audio system improvement. Does anyone reliably know if they might have fixed some of the slowing-for-no-apparent-reason issues that cropped up in that last release?

I am also on 2021.32.21 now, it is an improvement over 2021.4.21.3, but it seems like it is not as good as the software that came from the factory (2021.4.18.2), or the update I got right after getting the car (2021.4.18.10) that upgraded AP speed limit to 80 mph... I get about half as many phantom brake events now as I did on 2021.4.21.3 It still sucks, but not as bad. I am hoping that I am just being paranoid and that it is better than I think it is... but we shall see.

Keith

Reactions: growler23
I guess I'll chime in here, I got my Y back in Feb and the first time I tried AP it phantom braked multiple times - then I got the first update pretty quick and it was better and it seemed for awhile like it kept getting better and better... Even keeping me centered in the lane really well. Until now with 2021.32.21. Back to phantom braking on the highway and it used to NOT decide to slow down all of a sudden when my highways ended and became a "main road", but now it slows down to 35 mph no matter where the AP is set. Now that it brakes to 35 because it thinks it sees something, it changes the max speed to 35 mph. Whether I set the highway speed to 65, 60, or 55. The highway is 60 mph speed limit if that matters. When it turns to a main road it's 45 and never is 35, anywhere. And now it's back to a teenager learning to drive in the lane centering department - especially in curves. I feel like we took a step backward. At least this is a feature I don't really rely on, even though now that I had it, I was getting used to it. I sure hope that when the rest of us get Ver. 10.X or whatever becomes the public release, this is a thing of the past.

I put this at, Tesla is developing the next version and has dropped really working on whatever we are using for AP.

I guess I'll chime in here, I got my Y back in Feb and the first time I tried AP it phantom braked multiple times - then I got the first update pretty quick and it was better and it seemed for awhile like it kept getting better and better... Even keeping me centered in the lane really well. Until now with 2021.32.21. Back to phantom braking on the highway and it used to NOT decide to slow down all of a sudden when my highways ended and became a "main road", but now it slows down to 35 mph no matter where the AP is set. Now that it brakes to 35 because it thinks it sees something, it changes the max speed to 35 mph. Whether I set the highway speed to 65, 60, or 55. The highway is 60 mph speed limit if that matters. When it turns to a main road it's 45 and never is 35, anywhere. And now it's back to a teenager learning to drive in the lane centering department - especially in curves. I feel like we took a step backward. At least this is a feature I don't really rely on, even though now that I had it, I was getting used to it. I sure hope that when the rest of us get Ver. 10.X or whatever becomes the public release, this is a thing of the past.

I put this at, Tesla is developing the next version and has dropped really working on whatever we are using for AP.

I think part of the problem is that with every major update the system seems to need to "re-learn" stuff that it knew before the update. After a day of living with 2021.32.21 I have to say it is a vast improvement over 2021.4.21.3 I was able to complete an entire commute round trip without a single phantom brake event! Traffic was light, but on 2021.4.21.3 even with light traffic I would have had several phantom brake events.

The problem with you slowing down at the transition from highway to "main road" is most likely a problem with google maps. If it has the wrong speed limit listed in google maps, the Tesla will go by what google maps tells it. I have several areas like this local to me that I am trying to get updated in Google maps... then google maps will have to update the Tesla version of Google maps. I expect this to take a long time :(

Keith

Crap, how do we get them to fix speed limit errors then? There are many areas where I can't use Auto Pilot, because it would limit me to 30 mph on a road with a 55 mph speed limit where traffic is doing 65 mph.

Keith
I don't know if you can submit corrections to TomTom, but you can make edits/submit corrections to OSM, Open Street Maps. But Tesla Vision is supposed to be getting better at reading speed limit signs.

I don't know if you can submit corrections to TomTom, but you can make edits/submit corrections to OSM, Open Street Maps. But Tesla Vision is supposed to be getting better at reading speed limit signs.

Rural highways around here have a sign when you leave town, and then you might not see another sign for 10+ miles. That is one of my regular trips, I leave town, the car sees the sign and I can do 60 mph in Auto Pilot, then 5 miles later it drops from the real speed limit of 55 mph down to 25 mph for no reason... and there isn't another speed limit sign between there and when I get to the interstate highway 5 miles further down the road. I almost wonder if it is the car freaking out because it hasn't seen a sign for 5 miles?

Keith

Reactions: rishid and Daks
2021.32.22 here, two aggressive phantom braking events on my way to work today (18 miles). Both were typical of the most common situation, nobody in my lane, overtaking a vehicle in the adjacent lane, the car in that lane is not moving over toward me in any way yet the Y hard brakes before overtaking. I didn't wait to see how long it would linger behind before finally accelerating past today because of following traffic. Can't wait for the complete rewrite!

Reactions: Stach
Here is the odd part as I did some more testing and watching as the snow melted. I don't trust AP on snow/ice covered roads.

The car doesn't think the speed limit dropped, it just drops in one area down to 35. I think it has to do with it reading the road. As an example, there is no speed limit sign on a hair pin turn, but the car knows it needs to slow down and does). The same highway going the other way, when it ends - the speed limit drops for 60, to 55 to 45. The car doesn't change speeds as it's "flat." I can watch the car drop the speed limit detected numbers down too... I would assume that FSD would treat this differently then AP.

BTW - I think that you might be on to something with relearning...