Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I challenge you to say this sound is normal.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine has the same sound and I was told today after a drive unit replacement that the noise was normal. It comes in pretty loudly at a stop light once in awhile, but not all the time. The sound is sometimes very-loud to mildly annoying at times. Most of the time, it's silent. I managed to go for a ride with the service advisor in... DENVER! And when he mentioned it to the technician there, we were both told that the sound is... NORMAL!

When it's very loud I get pretty upset listening to it. I just cannot seem to reproduce the very loud version of the noise and neither can the technician at my local service center. So far, Denver has been very good to me and very accommodating with both service and loaner vehicles. I will keep going until I can readily reproduce the sound and then take it back in.
If you can hear it 15 - 20 feet away, then it is broken and not normal. If it is silent, then it is new. Between new and broken it is slowly failing. I'd be curious to know if any of them actually live more than 15 thousand miles. You just have to draw a line between those two extremes and get them to fix it.

Mine got to the point where anyone could get in the car, press brakes pedal 2x, and then Buzzzzzzzzzzzz. 3rd press, nothing. 4th press Buzzzzzzzzzzz, etc. Easily heard 15 to 20 feet away. I think they happily took it in so that I would stop demonstrating it so close to the active sales teams.

After 7,500 miles of silence, it is slowly returning. It is now in the 5x -7x brake pedal press trigger phase and can be heard from both in the car and 5 - 10 feet away. So if I schedule service now, I should get in 3 to 4 weeks from now and it will be load enough to get replaced. I don't think it's dangerous, but it is annoying and embarrassing.

Yours sounds broken. I have always been nice to the service department, and they have been nice back. The attitude I share with them is, if they wouldn't let a CPO drive off the lot sounding like that, then they shouldn't turn anyone away either. It is fixable.

OP here. This past June I traded in the car that made the sound described in Post 1 for a 2020 S LR+.

The car made the sound until the very last day.

Various mobile techs told me it was the brake's vacuum pump. At one point they did OK a warranty repair, as it was too noisy, and that did help for a while, but then it got back to being loud and buzzy.

Now that's someone else's problem.

New car has all new kinds of sounds, which I assume are normal, like this loud pumping sound the second the car wakes up in the garage and I sit down in the driver's seat---I assume it's the air suspension compressor or something? That's a daily occurrence.