Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I configured. Now what?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have applied for the loan with my credit union.

I am looking at ordering Model 3 Aero Wheel Cap Kit since I am not wild about the look of Aero hubcaps.

I am starting to look into solar roof panels (probably won't happen) and various home chargers.

I am trying to meet people at the company and around the city who have bought or are waiting for a Model 3.

How else can I spend the next 3-6 weeks with fun and use?

Asked differently, what will be the unpleasant surprises at delivery time that will make me go: "I wish I had taken care of that"?

1. Investigate tinting, etc if that's something you'll be doing. I thought I was going to do a chrome delete, until I got it priced out and found it it cost more than tinting :(
  2. Get insurance.
  3. Find a couple of delivery checklists for the Model 3 and put together your own to go through on delivery day.
  4. Be helpful to others on these forums.

That's what I'm doing ...

Find a couple of delivery checklists for the Model 3 and put together your own to go through on delivery day.
Crossed posts with you on this. Do you have any you recommendations? Something at the intersection of thorough and practical.

Yes, I got an insurance quote from Liberty Mutual, directed by InsureMyTesla They were surprisingly good, especially if I decide to keep my 2007 Passat Wagon for utility. My existing 21st Century policy jumps a lot if I add a car, but is alright if I replace Passat with Tesla.

Decide if you are going to do some kind of paint protection early on. Learn about it, decide what kind, get a few highly recommended installers and go to their shop to see there work especially if you go the film route. Also talk to them about tentatively setting you up for an appointment ahead of time that you can firm up after you get you delivery date set. This is something you'd want to take care of if at all possible from delivery to detailer and then take the car home. A full body wrap can take around a week to do. There's alot of work they do prepping the car and then film work and heating the film to set. A good installer is worth his weight in gold. You want a place that does a lot of Teslas. Good installers will be booked way in advance. If you don't get in right after pick up, your guy will likely have more corrective work to do on the car from stones and such. More time before film work can actually begin, more work for them and I'm sure it adds to your cost.

You might also look into dashcams and all weather mats even being in Southern California.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MarkBrokeIt
Look into joining a local owners club since you said you'd like to meet some owners. The clubs are listed on the forum. Many of them do meet ups.

Start to organize what rebates you can apply for once you get your paperwork all done and license plates arrive (utilty, city, state). Save your receipts for your EVSE and electrical work including any permiting -- Might be able to use on next years Federal tax return if they extend it again. Look into HOV stickers if available and desired in your area.

Last edited:
I would get your home charger installed - that way it is ready to go when you get the car home.

As far as accessories, if you are going to use a non-Tesla home EVSE, I would buy an extra J1772 adapter for it. I ended up doing that when I had a Clipper Creek so that I could leave the adapter on the charger and still have one in the car for public stations.

Reactions: xcat
On the checklist - I haven't found one yet that I liked. Most are waaay too exhaustive. I would grab a few, dump them into a document, then eliminate everything that you can easily check later and have fixed under warranty. Things to prioritize checking would be paint scratches, panel gaps, seat gouges, charging capability, etc ... stuff you can't take the car back for once you drive it off the lot. Items like bluetooth connectivity you can have fixed later if there are problems.

As far as accessories, if you are going to use a non-Tesla home EVSE, I would buy an extra J1772 adapter for it. I ended up doing that when I had a Clipper Creek so that I could leave the adapter on the charger and still have one in the car for public stations.

I just did this yesterday. And it shipped already. Soon I'll be able to sit at home cradling my J1772 adapter, wondering when I'll have a car to go with it. (Configured 4/7 and still awaiting a VIN.)

I just did this yesterday. And it shipped already. Soon I'll be able to sit at home cradling my J1772 adapter, wondering when I'll have a car to go with it. (Configured 4/7 and still awaiting a VIN.)

Oh, been there done that. I ordered a bunch of charging adapters, floor mats, etc while waiting 6 weeks after ordering my first Tesla and was excited to get each one. I had even ordered the old frunk box so I meticulously organized it with all my adapters, extension cords, etc. Exciting times

Reactions: Asad1087
I just did this yesterday. And it shipped already. Soon I'll be able to sit at home cradling my J1772 adapter, wondering when I'll have a car to go with it.

Oh, been there done that. I ordered a bunch of charging adapters, floor mats, etc while waiting 6 weeks after ordering my first Tesla and was excited to get each one.

I received my first NEMA adapter yesterday. Texted a friend and said it was like ordering a MacBook with AppleCare. You get a package delivery notice a day later and get all excited only to find out it’s just a package with a sheet of paper confirming the extended warranty coverage. The 3-5 days for the actual MacBook delivery is way easier than the 3-6 week purgatory we’re in right now. :)

You could also rent 1 on Turo to get a jump on ownership and be better prepared for your orientation. Also, when applying for a car loan, you may want to verify the holding period prior to the loan expiring. If you get it too early, prior to getting your car, the loan may time out.

• Helpful
Reactions: ponzu
Would you mind pointing me to where they are listed? Thanks!

Sure, here's the "Clubs" link: CLUBS . Here's "Groups": https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/groups/ But the fastest way to access is to click on the word at the top of the website window right under the Tesla Motors Club Logo. :) Some are public, others are private; they will vary in participation. If private, send an request to join to their club/group owner. Once you "join" you'll get posting privileges and get on their notification list which is nice for events if you don't always come here to check on things. The group/club logo will also appear below your user name on the left in your forum posts. Group/Clubs is also a nice way to get local referrals too. Some private groups allow you to read some of their threads if not a member.

You can also find meet ups listed sometimes under the forum area "EVents" (in the TMC Community Forum area): EVents

Also in the TMC Community Forum you might want to check out the "North America" area (for your state of area of the country): North America - All kinds of info on Superchargers (new and old locations, most with photos and info on construction or useage there). Also people will post requests for referrals in their area for all kinds of things.

Have fun exploring the forum while you wait!

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: ponzu
Having configured a Model 3.... I think this is how women feel when they get engaged, guys.

"I am excited, but did I make a mistake?"

"What if we don't go through with it? Sure I can't think of a reason why not, but what if something happens."

"Who else can I talk to about it? Who else is going through the same experience? What else can I read?"

"What preparations do I need to make? Whom do I hire? Where is the checklist?"

Plus a sense that one's life is about to change.

Model 3 may is slightly more expensive than an average wedding, but it the long run it is supposed to save money.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: SMAlset
Sure, here's the "Clubs" link: CLUBS . Here's "Groups": https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/groups/ But the fastest way to access is to click on the word at the top of the website window right under the Tesla Motors Club Logo. :) Some are public, others are private; they will vary in participation. If private, send an request to join to their club/group owner. Once you "join" you'll get posting privileges and get on their notification list which is nice for events if you don't always come here to check on things. The group/club logo will also appear below your user name on the left in your forum posts. Group/Clubs is also a nice way to get local referrals too. Some private groups allow you to read some of their threads if not a member.

You can also find meet ups listed sometimes under the forum area "EVents" (in the TMC Community Forum area): EVents

Also in the TMC Community Forum you might want to check out the "North America" area (for your state of area of the country): North America - All kinds of info on Superchargers (new and old locations, most with photos and info on construction or useage there). Also people will post requests for referrals in their area for all kinds of things.

Have fun exploring the forum while you wait!
Thank you!

Reactions: SMAlset