Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I Convinced Someone on a Baseball Forum to Buy a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Curt Renz

Mar 5, 2013
USA
I Inspired Someone on a Baseball Forum to Buy a Model S

On May 25 the Chicago White Sox message board (actually I’m a Cub fan, but I occasionally visit other teams’ boards) had a new off-topic thread started by a grandmother titled “Want to Buy a New Car; Suggestions Would be Appreciated”. Under my screen name “clarkstreet” I replied to the thread on May 30 suggesting the Tesla Model S. Afterward “purplehawk” and I traded several replies.

Link to White Sox Car Thread

Yesterday (June 5) "purplehawk" replied that she had ordered a Model S:

“The test drive sealed the deal. It blew me away, quite frankly. I ordered the Model S with the 85kWh Performance battery. The extras I ordered are auto-pilot, premium interior and lighting, suspension, cold weather, hi-fi sound, and fancy rear seats since my grandkids are a lot bigger now than they used to be. I spent more than I originally intended, but this is a special car. I'm looking at an early July delivery date. They've already scheduled the installation of my home battery. I imagine the garage will be useless during the time they're here, but it'll be nice when all is said and done.

“I shall have to train myself NOT to continually look up at the stars when I'm driving at night. That all-glass roof is seriously awesome! I asked specifically to be able to drive it at night during my test run, and they were kind enough to take me out twice. We drove out of the city along Route 40, where artificial lights are few and far between on long stretches of the roadway, and again it just blew me away. The view was spectacular!

“Thank you, thank you, thank you for directing my attention to Tesla! Jim isn't here to share the joy of this purchase but I know he would be darned happy with my choice. He was a greenie to the very end of his life. Thanks again!”

Last edited:
Cool! Well done! :smile:

Tesla owners are Tesla's best marketers. I think the biggest changer of peoples opinions of EV's, especially the Model S is to get people to test drive them. They then realise how much better they are than ICE's.

I'm suspect... Wouldn't that be like me taking car buying advice from a Yankees fan? :biggrin:

LOL. She’s probably unaware that I’m a Cub fan, since baseball never entered the discussion. My screen name “clarkstreet” is a clue, since Clark Street passes diagonally by Wrigley Field. But many Sox fans may not be aware of that. In any event, I am a well-wisher for the White Sox, since they are a Chicago team and not in the Cubs division or league. This all stems from a day when I was six and my father explained to me our family’s baseball loyalties. Most Cub fans are indifferent toward the Sox. However, many White Sox fans express an odd dislike for the Cubs and their fans.

Wow. There were some real hateful trolls in that thread. What's with people anyway?

That's not unusual in the non-baseball sections of MLB message boards. Those sections are usually dominated by political and religious arguments, subjects my father warned me to avoid in polite company. Some posters there like to infuse extreme political or religious matters into non-baseball threads no matter what the subject, while hiding behind a mask of anonymity. MLB message boards likely have on average a less mature, less educated and less affluent membership than found here. That thread was supposed to be about new car suggestions, but apparently the original poster had previously been involved in political discussions, and some of her antagonists chose to revive any animosities that had been developed. We rarely experienced much of this until the internet era.

Obviously not a P85, does she mean an 85 or a P85D maybe? Curious lack of comment on "Insane Mode" if it was indeed a P85D.

This is none of my business... I don't know the woman... I have no facts... but that doesn't stop me from guessing she's a normal person (as opposed to the more "geeky" [slightly] first adopters of technology), and she doesn't memorize and understand and discuss and get excited about all the little techy bits. From her description she liked many of the useable advances in the car, she liked that it was green, and the tiny sun- (moon-? star-?) roof held a little bit of appeal :). I can imagine that Insane Mode was not at all important to her (after all, I would guess normal mode in a P85D would be ... quick enough? My old, slow, blind Dec 2013 build is certainly quick enough).

I'm thinking they told her it was the Performance model and she translated that to referring to the battery. Those little details are just not important enough to her to really get the lingo down (remember this whole answer of mine is complete speculation). But that's how I'd call it because I've heard many, many others get little details like that wrong. Including me :-(. And good for her -- we need a lot more of her making purchase decisions, to move EVs into the mainstream.

And Curt, way to go!!

Last edited:
This is none of my business... I don't know the woman... I have no facts... but that doesn't stop me from guessing she's a normal person (as opposed to the more "geeky" [slightly] first adopters of technology), and she doesn't memorize and understand and discuss and get excited about all the little techy bits. From her description she liked many of the useable advances in the car, she liked that it was green, and the tiny sun- (moon-? star-?) roof held a little bit of appeal :). I can imagine that Insane Mode was not at all important to her (after all, I would guess normal mode in a P85D would be ... quick enough? My old, slow, blind Dec 2013 build is certainly quick enough).

I'm thinking they told her it was the Performance model and she translated that to referring to the battery. Those little details are just not important enough to her to really get the lingo down (remember this whole answer of mine is complete speculation). But that's how I'd call it because I've heard many, many others get little details like that wrong. Including me :-(. And good for her -- we need a lot more of her making purchase decisions, to move EVs into the mainstream.

And Curt, way to go!!

Well put, Ugliest1. On an online baseball forum I introduced the Model S to a widowed grandmother with whom I had never previously shared messages. She had been unaware of Tesla Motors and had never before considered an electric car. Six days later she ordered a Model S. Eventually she'll learn all of the "geeky" lingo. So will the masses.

political and religious arguments, subjects my father warned me to avoid in polite company. Some posters there like to infuse extreme political or religious matters into non-baseball threads no matter what the subject, while hiding behind a mask of anonymity.

Tell me about it ... my motorcycle forum had to introduce a special "CSM" (Church, State & Money) Off-Topic board WITHIN the normal Off Topic board because the debates got so acrimonious ... great fun though, if you can take as well as dish out.

Watched your video from the thread. Beautifully done, Curt, BRAVO!

I lost it at "Don't worry Gerda. Elon won't go without you". You, sir, owe me a new keyboard, since the old one is soaked in coffee now.

Don't see it linked anywhere in the thread, so for the benefit of others, here's what I'm talking about: Tesla Motors Supercharger Stations Surround Berlin (Downfall Parody) - YouTube

Glad you got a kick out of it. Sorry about the coffee. I had almost forgotten that I had produced that video parody sixteen months ago. Viewers do seem to like it. I was surprised to learn that it has been seen over 10,000 times.