Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I could have gotten a $48k discount on my Model S!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weird factory delivery experience yesterday. As a TSLA shareholder, I hope it's not indicative of their common business practices.

I put $5k down like every other production holder.

As the time to deliver my car drew near, I financed $48k via Navy Federal Credit Union. It was an awesome, quick and painless process. Two minutes on the web, blank check arrives via US mail 2-3 days later. 1.99% for 72 months.

NFCU sent me a blank check and accompanying instruction sheet. In order to use this check, I needed to sign in two places and the dealer needs to call to "activate" it and get a four digit PIN to write on it. The check had a notation that it was good up to $48,xxx and needed car details such as the vin, mileage, year, mfg, etc.

When I received the check, I scanned it, and emailed it, in it's blank state, to my DS and told them that I'd be bringing this as well as my balance.

So I get my final paperwork and it shows two down payments, one for $5k and one for $48k. It shows a balance due of around $35k.

When I pick up the car, the only thing they ask for is the "balance due" of $35k !!!

I hand them the $35k check and ask "that's it?". I'm told that we can now go get my car.

I looked at the little angel on one shoulder and the devil on the other, I consider taking delivery for a millisecond, and tell the DS "I think you want this too", showing him the loan check for $48k and explaining how I have to sign it, they have to activate it, etc.

I think I really could have driven away yesterday having paid less than $40k, including taxes, for my Model S! The only sticky issue would have been the lien registered to my credit union.

Waiting for my good Karma reward...

I was surprised, too, when I did the factory pickup, about how informal they were regarding payment. I had my bank overnight a check to them for the bulk of the money, and then I made up the difference with a personal check on the spot. But the DS wasn't aware of the first check, and just took my word for it. I'm sure they would be within their legal rights to take the car back if the payment falls through and recover damages due to lost value.

$48k missing from the accounting books would not go unnoticed for long.

and a duplicate bank draft number would have tipped them off.
My bank wrote that the loan was for a 2012 Nissan Maxima. I'm sure I could buy one on my credit card for less than 30K and "return" the "Maxima" to them to cancel the loan. I would have a Tesla for the price of a Maxima.:tongue:

Occasionally in life we are presented with such situations, and it says a lot about a person on how they handle those times. There's a better than average chance the mistake would have been caught at some point, but glad to hear you straightened it out on the spot.

I sometimes like to live in a fantasy world where everyone is honest, can be trusted and taken at their word. Where no one is trying to get something for free, or trying to put one over on someone else. If only for a few minutes it reminds me of the potential of mankind, despite the daily reminders we fall short of that potential by infinite miles. So, I'm okay with the less formal approach by Tesla. I'd like to think it says something positive about how they view their customers, though, I suspect a mistake of this nature nets someone a walk down the unemployment line.

Like you, though, I don't mess with Karma. :wink:

And one hour later the DS would have called you back...

Correction - One hour later that DS's replacement would have called you back.

Good call Doc, eventually the error would have been noticed and it would have been a big headache for you and everyone involved. Doing the right thing is always best. Probably this is an effect of using young, enthusiastic people who likely have little to no experience in the car sales or large cash transaction business.

Back when I was one of the PIGS (that's 'Poor Indian Graduate Students') circa 1998, I still used my small teaching assistant stipend $ to buy DVDs - a fancy new thing at the time! - from this website called dvdexpress.com. They had this price match guarantee to refund the difference if I were to find a better deal.

I found one such deal and asked them for a refund of $5.24 (did I mention I was poor?!). Almost a month later, on my credit card statement, I saw a refund of $5,240.00! I promptly called them and let them know about it. For some reason, they couldn't reverse the credit; I had to ask my credit card provider to issue the credit as a check to me and then, I sent dvdexpress a check for their money. The website folks were extremely thankful and sent me a couple of free DVDs as a token of their appreciation.

A fun experience early in my days in the US :) Sorry if I bored you with the tale.