TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

I created a document to leave on cars ICEing EV charging spots

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by AmpedRealtor, Dec 13, 2014.

1. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

#1 AmpedRealtor, Dec 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2014
    mod note: updated title to better reflect the subject

Once in a while I see an ICEd charging spot, and when I do, I leave one of these notes on the offending vehicle:

View attachment EV VIOLATION.pdf

Thumbnail view of the form:
    EV-VIOLATION.gif

I fill out the blank with their license plate number and then publish their offense and plate at Zapatag.com - Report Bad Drivers, License Plate Search and Tracking. Fold the note in thirds along the dashed lines, with the wording visible on the outside, and attach to the offending vehicle's windshield. I carry about 20 of these in my car and use them as appropriate.

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I created a document to leave on ICEd cars

That's pretty harsh, and is just as likely to antagonize the ICE owner as it is to modify their future behavior. I would tone down the language and would definitely not engage in the online shaming that you seem bent on achieving.

We are very early in the transition to EVs and many people don't even recognize EVs or understand what an EV is. Even here in the SF Bay Area, where there is a relatively high concentration of EVs, I meet people who ask if my Tesla also has a gas engine in it.

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Uh, yeah... I think that's the wrong approach. I would take an "education" route rather than a stern criticism.

4. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

It's better to be an ambassador than a policeman.

5. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

6. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Unless the charging spot is very well signed telling ICE cars not to park there, most ICEing will be out of ignorance, not maliciousness. Let's not create enemies.

7. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

In the end you really have no idea of why the person parked there so their intent doesn't matter. It's easy to assume the worst but the remedy lies in legislation protecting those spots and allowing the proper people to ticket offending cars.

8. bareyb

bareyb Active Member

Good idea, poor execution. Just state the facts and keep the emotion out of it. I'd focus on the fact that they could be reported and towed (if that is indeed true) and phrase in an FYI kind of tone rather than a threatening one.

9. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

I appreciate the comments. If you don't like it, don't use it. I created this for people like me who want to send a message, not for those who consider themselves ambassadors and want to have a conversation with an individual who willfully ignored the needs of other drivers as well as the posted signage. I'm less forgiving of such things. Different strokes for different folks. It's here for those who share my frustration and want to give back.

Enjoy.

10. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

So far, seven out of seven responses indicate that your document is likely to cause more problems than solve the problem you are trying to address. Obviously you disagree. Let us know how it goes...

11. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

#11 bonnie, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
    I think the responses you're seeing (and I happen to agree with) are because the consequences of the note reflect on the EV community as a whole, not just you.

Now if the note was modified saying they'd prevented YOU from charging and you'd sign your name, so they'd know who to be annoyed with ... that would be great. But I personally don't appreciate having notes left on cars that may cause problems for me at some point in the future.

Bottom line: If you're going to leave notes that speak for the community and have consequences for the community, then listening to the community might be a good thing. But if the note is specific to you and doesn't impact the rest of us - obviously, say whatever you want.

12. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

There are already enough people out there that think charging your electric vehicle in a reserved spot is privileged. So something a little less harsh, I say kill them with kindness. Human nature is that when you get in someone's face they become hostile. We want to educate people to this new form of transportation not piss them off.

13. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

When you block an EV charging station, the terrorists have won.

14. Tedkidd

Tedkidd Member

transparency, accountability, I love it!!

Great idea, and great comments - particularly Bonnie's and Merrill's.

I like the idea of logging plates. It provides opportunity to distinguish a mistake from intentional disregard. (I'm going to check out the site, so this opinion isn't fully formed.)

I don't like the harshness of the message. It would be nice to have a letter like this, but one that keeps the good and avoids the bad. Needs to really presume unintentional accident - and teach that electric vehicles DO exist. The site should manage the bad by highlighting serial offenders.

Be nice if it accepted pictures to visually prove the offense.

15. Danal

Danal electricmotorglider.com

How about carrying a "Polite / Educational" document as well as a more aggressive document... and then let context and circumstance be your guide?

Having said that, I believe the 'online shaming' part of this will backfire. Every single time. No human hears anything being said alongside a threat.

16. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

The thread title needs to be changed. You'd be leaving the document on ICEing cars.

17. bxr140

bxr140 Member

Yup. When one sets out to 'teach a lesson', one sets out to fail. And in this case, the entire community has to feel the backlash. Uncool.

18. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

I kind of like it.

19. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

I hope I never have to join that club. Man, that's some agression you have inside :)

20. purplewalt

purplewalt Active Member

IMO, Education and a civil message about consideration goes a lot further than threats.

I stopped by a grocery store in Tyler, Texas yesterday.
    And a ICE car was parked in one of the spaces with a Level 2 Charger.
    And the parking space was one of the ones located closer to the front door.
    There was no EV sign, and basically most people in some areas are not informed of electric cars and EVs, and are not familiar why a charging station might be important, not just convenient.
    I left a hand-written note addressing it to "Kind Soul", alerting them that they had parked in from of an electrical charging station, and asked for their future consideration.

I don't think it is necessary to provoke or incite people who just are looking for a place to park.
    Christmas season is shopping and lots of visitors unfamiliar with parking lot nuances.

I would think that most drivers would respond in a more positive fashion if the tone of a message is respectful and one of humility/sharing/gratitude than confrontation.